Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes
Quote | Reply
New bike has one of these integrated behind the front fork.

It seems impossible to set the brakes and not to have to fool with them every time you ride. They seem to move in transport etc.

Is there a trick to getting these to be set it and forget it?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to account for the cable tension playing a part. Ramp up the spring tension on both sides, and it will be less of a factor.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 By this you mean the small set screws on the side that move the pads in and out correct.

I played with those back and forth until I had it even the best I could. It's very touchy. Half a crank and one side will just collapse in against the rim. To get it even drive side mostly all the way in while non drive side is mostly out.
Got it set before the race. Raced. Put it on the bike rack, Kuat NV, doesn't touch the brakes. Drove for three hours and when I took it off the non drive side pad is now up against the rim. Pumped the brake lever a few times to try and reset it but no luck. So now I'll have to do the whole exercise over again.

Hoping to not have to do this every time I drive to a race.
Last edited by: Max Daddy: Aug 3, 14 5:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Max Daddy wrote:
By this you mean the small set screws on the side that move the pads in and out correct.

I played with those back and forth until I had it even the best I could. It's very touchy. Half a crank and one side will just collapse in against the rim. To get it even drive side mostly all the way in while non drive side is mostly out.
Got it set before the race. Raced. Put it on the bike rack, Kuat NV, doesn't touch the brakes. Drove for three hours and when I took it off the non drive side pad is now up against the rim. Pumped the brake lever a few times to try and reset it but no luck. So now I'll have to do the whole exercise over again.

Hoping to not have to do this every time I drive to a race.

The springs for the rear brake are different on each side. You may want to check to make certain the brake is assembled correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
You have to account for the cable tension playing a part. Ramp up the spring tension on both sides, and it will be less of a factor.

+1. Also, make sure the cable slides quite smoothly in its housing. If you take care of those two things, the brake should work quite well (at least the ones on my Fuji Norcom Straight do).
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Andrew.

What's weird, to me, is that it's the front brake. I had trouble with the rear on my Kestrel 4000. On this bike the rear is a direct mount shimano. Which seems to be easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Max Daddy wrote:
Thanks Andrew.

What's weird, to me, is that it's the front brake. I had trouble with the rear on my Kestrel 4000. On this bike the rear is a direct mount shimano. Which seems to be easy.

Sorry, you mentioned drive side, which led me to assume it was the rear. After I hit reply I realized that might not be correct, but decided to leave my reply in case it might prove helpful to someone else.

Anyway, step one would seem to be to crank up the spring tension to max on both sides, then back off just one until the brake is centered. If that doesn't solve the problem, then you'll need to go hunting for sources of excess friction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:

I'm having issues too, how do you do this?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing given the "integration" there isn't an alternative brake to use?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sharkbait_au [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first started riding a mountain bike with cantilever brakes, I would always have that same problem. Every time I rode, my brakes would be kicked over to one side or the other. Once I figured out how to adjust them, I never had that problem and when I got my Kestrel 4000 I adjusted the brakes the same way and never had a problem. Your brakes should be similar

Here's what I do:

1. Set both adjuster bolts in the middle of the a adjustment range

2. On the side you want to pull out, turn the adjuster in one quarter turn and the other side out one quarter turn.

3. Keep making small adjustments and always do the opposite on the other side until you get it right,

It might take a couple of times to get it right but once you get it set, it will stay set. Once I got my Kestrel 4000 right, I've never had to touch the adjustment again. Same with my wife's mountain bike with canti's.

Try it and you should be fine.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also check cable housing length. It can push or pull the brake to one side if it's too long or short and doesn't need to be off by much to cause problems.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue with my rear one. I kno you cant do it with your front but this may help someone else. I loosend every single bolt to the point where they were off, i pulled the cable out, examined the brake, then THREW THAT POS IN THE TRASH, replace with TriRig Omega. Rear break works great now. Front break still sucks lol. Im also going to switch from vision levers to shimano as they have better "feel" while braking.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I had the same issue with my rear one. I kno you cant do it with your front but this may help someone else. I loosend every single bolt to the point where they were off, i pulled the cable out, examined the brake, then THREW THAT POS IN THE TRASH, replace with TriRig Omega. Rear break works great now. Front break still sucks lol. Im also going to switch from vision levers to shimano as they have better "feel" while braking.

The TriRig Omega doesn't fit the TRP TTV Dual Post mount.

Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, meant SV, but it was more satire....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, sounds more like a SHIV/Kestrel set-up with the TRP-922 or similar (Cable-Mount-Rim). Those are compatible with the Omega SV. The TRP TTV (Cable-Rim-Mount) isn't. The TTV is a bit of a pain, but I see your point.

Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't get why putting the bike in the rack would/did cause the non drive side to pull up against the rim.

The rack does not touch the brake. Only clamps down on top of the wheel.

When I take the bike off and the pad is up against the rim I pump the brakes. Doesn't fix it. If I move the spring tension bolt ever so slightly it frees up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 bikes that have the TTV brakes on both front and rear. I have found that cable routing, cable length, and inner cable wire friction play a huge part in how the brakes operate. Personally, I use Nokon cables with Jagwire HyperGlide wires inside. The HyperGlide wires are .1mm narrower than the Nokon wires for both shift and brake. Still, the side set tension screws are touchy, but cabling and inner wires seems to be the biggest factor in allowing the brakes to relax and re-align after compression.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Last edited by: Taugen: Aug 6, 14 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had continuous issues w pass rubbing. TRP not helpful basically
Claiming user error. It's not. It's bad design. The cable does not
Snap back. I believe it's unsafe and is costing me time in races. No matter what I do they rub. Again, TRP not helpful at all, I am really disappointed with their customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes

Sell the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving an old thread here, I have the TRP TTV brakes on the front and rear of my bike (PlanetX Exo3), and the rear was never able to align properly with one side rubbing no matter what. The adjuster screws were not long enough to prevent it, so I advise trying to buy some M4 Grub Screws, ideally 10mm long on ebay. You can get a pack of 5 for £1.50 posted and it sorted my problem.

This was my solution so I just wanted to share :)
Last edited by: Z3DM4N: Oct 11, 19 13:49
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [Z3DM4N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bushings/pivots need to be cleaned regularly. They get very easily contaminated. This is the biggest problem I've had.

Used to be a couple of different angle brake noodles available. Maybe try one with a lesser bend.

Sensitive to housing length. Slightly too short or even too long can really mess things up.

Apply a preload to springs before setup. Roughly halfway in adjustment range.

Stock pads are lousy. Basic koolstop or swissstop work much better.

Front works ok for me but rear was always problematic. Replaced rear with a fouriers that works much better.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the secret to adjusting TRP TTV brakes [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EDIT NOW SOLD For sale: New and unused: TRP TTV 90 rear brake (linear spring model)
Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xWmuMWVf4t4WPtf27

Bought this as part of a pair from Planet X. I didn’t realise it was a pair of rear brakes they were selling. I only need one rear brake so here is a chance for someone else to upgrade a rear brake to the linear spring model cheap.

£32 on Pay pal, will cover the Pay Pal fees and I will cover the P&P to UK

Here is the planet X link: https://www.planetx.co.uk/...TV09/trp-ttv09-brake
note that the brake they are selling on it’s own is a ‘21mm front’ version.

If I don’t sell one by the 7th April 2020 I’ll be sending both back for a refund.
Last edited by: chrisone: Mar 14, 20 15:23
Quote Reply