Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's the latest on the PowerTap models? [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a great solution.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest on the PowerTap models? [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say give Rich at wheelbuilder a call if you want to talk to an expert on the models and wheels to lace them to. He is very smart and has sound advice on the best/cheapest equipment to match your needs. I went with the Pro+ in a HED Bastogne rim, 24 spokes for a training and racing wheel (I'm a hair under 160). Stepped up from the Elite+ for the weight (I know, stupid, but the $$ was much and it makes me feel better). I really wanted the SL+ because it just plain looks cooler, but couldn't justify the much higher cost for a few grams and cool look.

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest on the PowerTap models? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dragging this thread back up because currently the Cycleops website shows the elite+ hub with a 12mm axle. I'm wondering what the deal is, have they reverted back to the old axle or is their documentation incorrect?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest on the PowerTap models? [TundraCat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TundraCat wrote:
In Reply To:
I am also considering a PowerTap and am wondering, for the purpose of multisport, why would one NOT want a Garmin wrist unit that you could use on the bike with your PowerTap, that you could then remove and wear for the run?

Using the 310 is not as accurate. The recording interval is less and not configurable. I've compared ride data between the 310 and LYC and power numbers are off. That doesn't stop my from using the 310 for the run but I certainly don't look at the power data.

I couldn't care less if it's a couple of watts off the LYC. The LYC is a pain in the neck to use with all that scrolling, using two buttons for every function, push it once for this, hold it down for more than 2 seconds for that...it's a terrible interface. As long as you establish your baseline with the Garmin and continue all your training with it, it absolutely doesn't matter what the actual number is. Pop the Garmin out of the quick-release and you're off and running.

I second the suggestion to contact Rich at Wheelbuilder. Since this thread was started, I have bought several products from him and the customer service has been great. I bought a wheel cover for an older wheel, and when I bought my PT wheel from them, he re-cut my cover to fit my new wheel for no charge.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest on the PowerTap models? [jpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you're looking, but CycleOps specs the Elite+ hub with the 15mm steel axle here:
http://www.cycleops.com/...87&category_id=2

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: What's the latest on the PowerTap models? [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninesixfour wrote:
TundraCat wrote:
In Reply To:
I am also considering a PowerTap and am wondering, for the purpose of multisport, why would one NOT want a Garmin wrist unit that you could use on the bike with your PowerTap, that you could then remove and wear for the run?

Using the 310 is not as accurate. The recording interval is less and not configurable. I've compared ride data between the 310 and LYC and power numbers are off. That doesn't stop my from using the 310 for the run but I certainly don't look at the power data.

I couldn't care less if it's a couple of watts off the LYC. The LYC is a pain in the neck to use with all that scrolling, using two buttons for every function, push it once for this, hold it down for more than 2 seconds for that...it's a terrible interface. As long as you establish your baseline with the Garmin and continue all your training with it, it absolutely doesn't matter what the actual number is. Pop the Garmin out of the quick-release and you're off and running.

I second the suggestion to contact Rich at Wheelbuilder. Since this thread was started, I have bought several products from him and the customer service has been great. I bought a wheel cover for an older wheel, and when I bought my PT wheel from them, he re-cut my cover to fit my new wheel for no charge.

I second this. I went to a 310XT and don't miss the LYC. If you want <1 second recording you should probably get a track SRM. You don't need that for Triathlon training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next