Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's
Quote | Reply
Looks like I may be going back to Clinchers in 2010, what would be the ST approved tire combo for Zipp 404's? I assume it would be latex tubes, and then would it be Pro Race 3 in front and back? Or a Pro Race 3 in back and Bontrager Aerowing 19 in front? Or something else? What do the tire and rubber police here give their blessing to? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clincher Rider / Sucker = synonym.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode the Pro Race 3 on my 404s (before I sold them). I used the Pro Race 3 on my 808 front and 900 rear. Love the tire, but, it is a bitch to get on (and change a flat) when brand new. Put it in the dryer for a couple minutes before installing, especially on the 404s.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh oh. I tried to mount some PR3's on Easton Vista wheels once. It was an epic fail. I would have had to pull a dryer behind my bike so I could heat them up to change a flat out on the road, they were so freaking tight on the rim. I sold the PR3's on the classifieds. I was hoping that the problem was the Easton Vista wheels...... but thanks, that does help my decision making process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time is a huge PITA with the PR3, but the 404 has the fact it has no rim strip going for it. Once they are mounted for a bit they are not that bad - and are on no less than 6 sets of wheels in our fleet - they would also be my choice.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For tri racing, I'd suggest the Bontrager Race X-Lite Pro over the Aerowing simply because you'll have a bit less of a hassle changing a tire if you happened to flat in a race. (The "wings" are a real pain to seat properly on some rims ... not so much on others.) Also, what you'll lose in aero you'll make up for in less rolling resistance. (That's based on a synthesis of all kinds of stuff I've read from Tom A. and AFM posts both here and in other forums.) The 700x23s seem to score best on rolling resistance, but I've raced on the 700x20s, too and they seem very nice and fast. I wouldn't train on the Bonty's though. They'd be race day tires. The Michelin Pro 3s are good all-rounders.

If you're going to do TTs where you're toast if you flat, anyway, then go with the Aerowings.

There are probably faster tires, but you trade off durability for the extra speed. The Bontys are fast, but still reasonably durable.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the aerowing is only a pain to install at first. once the tire is broken in, it happens automatically.

we have some 404s in our household in 650 size and we run the aerowing TT on them in 23 size. I would run 19 up front if they made it in the 650.

so, anything in the top 10 on the AFM list of tires (see sig) would be fine, pick one that suits your durability needs. The aerowing TT has that added "Aero" benefit, and has been pretty durable for us. I use it as a trainer tire too now. no flats yet!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the aerowing is only a pain to install at first. once the tire is broken in, it happens automatically.

No. Not always. Don't assume that what's true on your 650 rims in 23c is true on all 700 rims with 19c.
Last edited by: psycholist: Dec 31, 09 19:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

well it is true on the girlfriends 650 rims in 23c and it is true on my 700C hed jet 90 in 19c

it is also true on my neuvation wheels in both 700x19c and 700x23c

it is also true on some cheap ass wheel I got on the internets, "starlites" or something, in 700x23c

and it is true on whatever tom A has his on

but that may be a hed jet 90 as well =)

I do apologize for not fully backing up my claims so as to give the appearance that I might be suggesting they were from a sample size of merely 1 when in fact it was a sample size of 4 or 5

In Reply To:

No. Not always. Don't assume that what's true on your 650 rims in 23c is true on all 700 rims with 19c.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Dec 31, 09 19:42
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got one that's got a couple of TTs and an ironman while mounted on a non-C2 Jet disc and, despite that useage, it absolutely will NOT go on a new Renn 555. It'll go on the rim, but the wings won't pop out. Some rims are deeper than others.

But I defer to you, oh great one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX are another good choice ... fast and reasonably durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For tri racing, I'd suggest the Bontrager Race X-Lite Pro over the Aerowing simply because you'll have a bit less of a hassle changing a tire if you happened to flat in a race. (The "wings" are a real pain to seat properly on some rims ... not so much on others.) Also, what you'll lose in aero you'll make up for in less rolling resistance. (That's based on a synthesis of all kinds of stuff I've read from Tom A. and AFM posts both here and in other forums.) The 700x23s seem to score best on rolling resistance, but I've raced on the 700x20s, too and they seem very nice and fast. I wouldn't train on the Bonty's though. They'd be race day tires. The Michelin Pro 3s are good all-rounders.

If you're going to do TTs where you're toast if you flat, anyway, then go with the Aerowings.

There are probably faster tires, but you trade off durability for the extra speed. The Bontys are fast, but still reasonably durable.

Just my 2 cents.

The new and lighter Aero Wing 19's with a few miles on them get down to ~ 0.00270 which is much better than the first release of that tire - the new data isn't in the list yet - Rev 9 is a New Years resolution. From what I hear from Tom and Andy they seem robust - IIRC they both run them front and rear. Popping out the wings on the first install can be a problem and might take a few days of "working the tire" but mounting after the initial stretch is much easier - the wings will pop out as the tire pressure is increased. BTW the rolling resistance with ~ 12 inches of "unpopped" aero wing sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX are another good choice ... fast and reasonably durable.

X2

And dare I say, it's my experience that these are easy to handle tires on and off the rims. High quality, smooth riding tires for IM-length rides. FWIW, I am also using them on 650 wheels.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And dare I say, it's my experience that these are easy to handle tires on and off the rims.

I was going to add that, but I figured some expert would argue with me about it. I always appreciated that Vittoria is one of the few companies that continues to offer its finest products in 650c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's the 404 clincher rim, I have had some epic battles getting new tires on mine. I have found that some dish soap on the bead helps tremendously.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's the 404 clincher rim, I have had some epic battles getting new tires on mine. I have found that some dish soap on the bead helps tremendously.

Something happened a few years ago. Tires seemed to suddenly become much harder to mount on rims ... at least initially. I don't know if lawyers got involved after a handful of tires blew off of some rims, or if it's been one of the answers to reduce rolling resistance, but tires most certainly seem a whole lot tighter.

Maybe I'm getting more feeble than I thought in my old age.

I bought a computrainer a couple weeks ago. They recommended one of those Continental trainer tires, so I got one. That thing was impossible. Couldn't get it on without a tire lever and flatted three tubes trying to do that. I finally gave up and just used an old tire I had laying around. At the same time, I got a new set of Pro Race 3 tires in 700x20. MAN those are some tiny tires. And TIGHT!!! Flatted a tube trying to mount one. Another blew out on the rollers the second day. (That's always a fun experience ... a blowout on the rollers.) All told, I changed tight tires about eight times in two or three days. My hands are so sore it hurts to type. I've changed a lot of tires over the years. It seems like they're getting tighter and tighter ... or are the rims creeping up in size?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [AFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you gotten to test the new/lighter version of the 23mm as well?

Any chance that .00270 on the 19mm would correlate to a .00244 in a 23mm (same as RXL pro)?

Im debating AeroWing TT 19 in front with either TT23 or RXL Pro 23 rear.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the ST approved tire for Zipp 404's [afeltz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have you gotten to test the new/lighter version of the 23mm as well?

Any chance that .00270 on the 19mm would correlate to a .00244 in a 23mm (same as RXL pro)?

Im debating AeroWing TT 19 in front with either TT23 or RXL Pro 23 rear.

I tested new one just before it was released at ~ 0.00260. If it rolled better with a few miles similar to the TT 19 it might get down to the ~ 0.00250 range.
Quote Reply