Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the BEST Heart Rate Monitor?
Quote | Reply
The MRS told me to look into buying a new HRM. I've got my own opinions, but I'm curious what y'all think is the BEST HRM? The one thing that's a must-have is that it be a downloadable one (although how it downloads doesn't really matter).

By the way, Tom Demerly, we'll assume whichever one we get is one that fits...

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Last edited by: Ben H: Jan 17, 03 21:04
Quote Reply
Re: What's the BEST Heart Rate Monitor? [Ben H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that depends on what other things that you want the monitor for?

Personally, I have been very happy with the Polar 710. I don't have the power or cadence hook ups. The things I like about it:

when downloading, I like that it graphs speed, altitude, time and heart rate all on one graph. I also like the many different combinations that I can toggle through when I am riding.

the things I don't really like that much (and this is minor) terrible watch band, bulky when wearing on your wrist for running, and they have started making the chest strap part cheaper IMO.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: What's the BEST Heart Rate Monitor? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you like features and date, you've gotta look at the S710 - though it's certainly not cheap. As both a Polar dealer and long time user, I'm biased, but it's really a great tool. If you'll put the features to use, you can't beat it for analyzing data. FYI, Polar is discontinuing the 710 and will soon be rolling out the 720i. Most of the features will be the same, but the newer model will also allow for downloading via a computer's existing infrared port rather than requiring the Polar interface. More details should be available soon. In the meantime, you may find that you can get a good deal on 710's.

Also, Mr. Plumb's criticisms of the aesthetics are well taken. It's not a monitor that you'll want to wear around town a lot.

JC

-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are wasting a lot of money on those fancy schmancy top o the line HRM's. When you want to go hard just go hard. I don't need a HRM to tell me to speed up I need it to tell me to slow down. All you really need is an alarm feature to beep when your HR hits your upper limit on recovery and LSD runs/bikes. A $75 Polar will do that just fine. All those graphs and zones and other junk is a bunch of hocus pocus in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to beat the inexpensive Polar units. They're cheap and dependable. Creative Health Products (they're on the web)has great prices on them. I always use a basic model. The only feature I'm interested in is average heart rate.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stick with a basic Polar HRM... very dependable and accurate (although, I have used Cardiosport and Acumen - they too are good).

If you do want to look into the higher end HRM models, Polar S710 would be the best choice (but I can't recommend the S510 - for too many reasons to mention).

I think the best thing to do is buy a basic HRM for now. Wait for the Timex Bodylink System to come out later this year. Based on what they have indicated, this could exceed all (incl. Polar) the current wireless (high end) systems on the market.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Polar S810, for about a 1.5 years. At first it was great with the upload and download functions. I was utilizing a coach in preparation for an IM and his workouts were intense and complicated. I have since stopped using the coach and the upload and down load functions. For me, it started to take the fun out of training. The interface works well and the graphs and data accumulation are interesting diversions.

Polar has been doing the HR Monitors for a long time and they do them well, however they are not cheap and the other downside is the Chest strap battery is not replacable, thus when the strap stops transmitting, you have to buy a new strap. Other brands such as Sigma Sport have replacable batteries and are more reasonablly priced.

If the computer interface is a high priority to you then Polar is the way to go, otherwise, I would suggest Looking into the Sigma Sport Monitors. Your local Shop should be able to order them if they don't already stock them.
Quote Reply
S710...hands down [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the best HRM you can get for a triathlete....If you dont want all of the options get the 510 or even one of their more basic ones for less $$$
Quote Reply
Re: S710...hands down [oeight44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used an old Polar Coach for many years with great success. Thinking of upgrading to the S710 mainly to get the power output measurement as part of the same system. Heard they were having major problems with this - anyone had any experience?

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: S710...hands down [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I'd like to say that when you ask the forum what the "best" is youre going to get as many different recommnedations as those who post. There is no best when it comes to gear, or really anything.

It doesnt have the DL feature, but i got the 210---and i like it---its got alittle more than your basic polar Beat or something but its a lot cheaper than the 710 or 810.

I would stay away from the polar power unit. Its a great concept that you can have power and HR together, from a company as reputable as polar, but i think the technology their using for this is pretty sketch.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the ability to use my HRM on the bike as well as the un. Having cadence and speed allows me to do periodic testing - just to see where I am and if/how much I have imporved my fitness.

If you have your Vo2max chacked periodically they really help you to train fairly close to that level. What we all really want is a writs band VO2max monitor.

I am also a bit of a data junk - so I like the download and graphing functions. I have a couple and they are both over 5 years old. Someday I will upgrade.

The simple ones are a great bargain. But you can get a lot out of the additional functionality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to examine what your primary requirements are, and then rate your "desirables" according to how much extra you're willing to pay for each. Most of the better HRM's are downloadable nowadays, so you have a lot of choice.

Personally, I use an old Polar Accurex II that I got in the early 90's. It's a rock, and has never let me down. I did lose it for a while, and temporarily replaced it with a cheapo "Axiom" from Performance Bike. It did what I needed it to, and only cost me something like $40 because I got it on blowout. I'm back to using the Polar again (now that I've found it), but learned that I rarely use the advanced features, and only really missed the stopwatch function when I was using the Axiom.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First things first: DO NOT BUY ONE ON THE INTERNET. Get one from a store with a great return policy.

I purchased a Performance Axiom 600 in July and it worked really well - very feature rich for the $$. I was able to set my own zones, it kept decent stats, and it only cost around $150. Took this to my first race and that's when things went south. Wore the watch during the swim, leaked likke mad. Took it back to Performance and got a Polar S150.

The polar performed very well when I was running - while not a feature rich as the Axiom, it gave me some basic stats and I was fairly satisfied - then I tried to use it as a bike computer. When I was riding at speed, the damn thing would not read accurately - then I slowed down and it started working fine again. Really irritating. Took it back and got cash this time.

I went over to Walmart and picked up one of the Timex Ironman HRMs. This did not have all the features that the Axiom had, and was not a bike computer like the Polar, but it was amazingly easy to use, accurately read my heartrate on the bike or running, is pretty much bulletproof, and only cost $80. One other nice thing about this HRM is a system that Timex announced at CES in Vegas - it is a little device that you hook to your HRM strap that will read the HR data over time and allows you to updload it to your PC - like many of the polars. You can see a blurb on it at trainingbible.com. It will be around $80, but will work with my current HRM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tended to agree w/ Slick (who mentioned all the gee-gaw extras being hocus pocus) in the past, but got a 710 because I wanted to consolidate everything in one unit (instead of seperate bike computer and hrm attached to the handlebars) and liked the ability to add power later if I want.

sportsbasement.com sells them for $262. take off your 10% USAT discount, and your $25 annual gift certificate and starting to approach a price you wouldn't be too embarrassed to tell your non-tri/bike friends that you'd spent on such a big ugly watch. (the 720i goes a long way towards looking better)

I work on computers all day, so generally hate using them at home, but have really liked the download and analysis part. using the altimeter and the cadence data together I can see how well I'm actually spinning up a long hill. without the samples you slowly adapt to not looking when you know you're doing bad.

the other thing that surprised me was how much I liked using the interval sets. that beep is just the kick in the butt that I need to get the next one started. something about creating your workout ahead of time and having your watch beep you through it keeps me from cutting my workouts short.

I have not once regretted getting the 710.
Quote Reply