Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM?
Quote | Reply
So my first IM was on pace for about a 10:30-10:40 which thrilled me (I was aiming to break 11:30 when I started training).

Kind of knowing the answer already, I'm curious what others think it takes to get down to 8:30. That's a pretty intimidating, though not insurmountable, 2 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [thunderlegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powercranks.... definitely Powercranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different parents, sorry.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A WHOLE LOTA EVERYTHING.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So my first IM was on pace for about a 10:30-10:40
Did you finish in this range?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...was on pace for about a 10:30-10:40"

did you stay on pace?

2 hours is probably insurmountable for you (and almost everyone in the world).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you! I no longer feel like I'm being overly ambitous in my goal of going from 10:27 to 9:59 :-)

You know, one thing to keep in mind as you scroll through all the smart responses...Gordo went from 11:30 ish to 8:30, so it can be done.
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you know so much about my genetics.
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would have, if not for my gut giving out on me 4k from the finish line:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ring=hernia;#1463842
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total dedication with lots of hard smart work, but you already knew that.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [jar1635] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no question it can be done, everyone has to start somewhere.

But what the others seem to not realize is that training one year for one IM is one thing, what does it take to extend that to the next level?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly...probably money.

Enough money that is, that working isn't your biggest concern and you can still pay the bills. I don't think 8:30 is possible with triathlon as a hobby.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM

For a real life story on how to do this go to:

http://www.gordoworld.com/

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not being one who knows from personal experience, but I'd say TIME. It will take a couple of years of sustained focus. And don't listen to anyone who says you can't. My goals are not as lofty, but I plan to turn my 12:36 into a sub-10 by 2011.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Thunderlegs,

It's quite difficult to say what you need to do without knowing more about you (I know this is a standard answer, but it is like that for a good reason:-))

I just want to encourage you to pursue your dream. In my case patience and willingness to find areas where I could improve got my (almost) there, but it took me 15 years!!! My first IM was 10.44 when I was 19 and last year at age 34 I did 8.33 in Roth. You can probably do it and if you hire the right coach you might get there sooner. I trained myself throughout and although I (think I) know a lot about training today, I wasted a lot of time to perfect my training regime.

I just wanted to let you know it's possible to (almost) get there. Keep going:-)

Tommy 'Torpedo' Nielsen

http://www.torpedonielsen.dk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extrapolating from very good swimmers I have seen to triathlon:

Reasonably good genes.

At least three or four years when you can train consistently for most of the year.

Enough time in your life given what else you do so that you can do a lot of training over those years without losing your job or your spouse.

Enough money to buy whatever coaching you need (might be a little or a lot).

Enough money to buy all the running shoes and bike stuff you will need as shoes wear out and bike stuff breaks when you use it a lot.

An almost perfect day because even the best IM triathlete won't go 8:30 on a really bad day.
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

ask Jonnyo, I bet he will say 10 years of consistant training, racing and improving. I would like to hear other opinions though, My goal is sub 10 (on a fast course, then sub 10 on a hard course like Canada or LP)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. (S.M.A.R.T)

Specific: you want to cover the IM distance in 8:30 but on what course? are we talking IMLP or IMFL? Summer race or fall, etc.
Measurable: What will your splits be compared to what they are now. Exactly how many minutes do you need to shed in each of the events
Attainable: Gordo did it.
Realistic: Do you have the time to invest in massive volume the way Gordo did? if not how are you going to compensate for limited time.
Timely: When will you do this! this season? next? by 2010 giving you enough time to nail down consistent 9:30 performances before going for 8:30?

I'm not a fast racer, but this is how i would approach your goal if i was trying to achieve it.

Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [John M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See my other response to that thread. Why is 2 hours insurmountable? Ask each pro what his/her time was at the first shot, how many started around the 9hr mark? A particular moved-loved STer did 6hr42min in his first 1/2 IM and placed second at IMC last year. You start somewhere, work hard and progress.

I'm surprised to see jumping naysayer jumping out.
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [Tridenmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that. It's nice to see there are still people out there who can set long term goals (years), work towards them and accomplish them. I don't see that very often anymore. Congrats on the 8:33 - that's fantastic!
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on, I'm all about SMART goals!
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the O.P. - I agree with Fleck - check out Gordo and jonnyo. I'd say lot's of time and patience coupled with lots of "work" over that time period. Physically I have no doubts you can do it - it's all a matter of if you can buckle down mentally and do it.

To h2ofun -

Get over your genetics kick.
The human body is designed for this stuff (i.e. 50k+ years design) - crazy amounts of dedication can get you a long, long way.
Most times when people don't go crazy far it's because they weren't really crazy dedicated.

I would bet that 99+% of humanity could go an 8:30 IM if they were willing to commit to the level Gordo and other fast/faster pros have.

The only thing genetics indicate is how much commitment do you need to put in - the problem with humans in general and commitment is pretty simple:

There's paying what you think it costs, and then there is what it reallys costs - most of us are afraid to find out what it really costs.
Quote Reply
Re: What's it take to get 10:30 IM to 8:30 IM? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess we can agree to disagree.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:50, :03, 4:35, :02, 3:00 from whatever your splits are now. That is probably skewed to a stronger swim/biker, so it is probably how I would have to tackle it, but a 3:00 IM run is nothing to laugh at either.

What is your timeline for reaching this goal? If it is one or two seasons, it is probably highly unrealistic unless you come into triathlon from a very high level of S/B/R individual sport background. 8:30 is many, many, many standard deviations out from 10:30; however, it doesn't mean it is not possible. The great thing is that each of those performances ALONE is not very impressive:

-Many of thousands of people can swim 4K open water in 50 minutes, especially with a wetsuit.
-Many of thousands of people can ride 112 miles in 4:35 (assuming access to aero equipment).
-Many of thousands of people can run a 3:00 marathon.

The trick is doing it consecutively ;-)

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ohhhh you're the guy that did Ironman Canada and almost lost your testicle!

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply

Prev Next