Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless?
Quote | Reply
Looking to upgrade my wheels and deciding if I go with hookless (locking myself into tubeless) or I stick with latex tubes and clinchers?

I ride tubeless on my gravel bike and am comfortable with installing / maintenance, so no issue there.

I ride latex tubes on my race bike and have always done so.

School me on which is faster =)
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because you go hookless, doesn’t mean you have to go tubeless. You can still run a tube in TLR wheel and tire.

If you take the same wheel and tire setup, there is no difference crr wise between a latex tube and tubeless.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Looking to upgrade my wheels and deciding if I go with hookless (locking myself into tubeless) or I stick with latex tubes and clinchers?

I ride tubeless on my gravel bike and am comfortable with installing / maintenance, so no issue there.

Or you can go with hooked wheels that support tubeless. I’d pick based on bike usage. Most hookless wheels at this point trend towards the all-road or gravel category - shallower rim depths and wider internal width.
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Or you can go with hooked wheels that support tubeless."

Bingo!

Check out Reynolds wheels. They are compatible with clincher and tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would I run latex tubes over tubeless?

Seems ride quality would be better on tubeless, less flats and I could stop buying $15 tubes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would tubeless tires have better ride quality?
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
"Or you can go with hooked wheels that support tubeless."

Bingo!

Check out Reynolds wheels. They are compatible with clincher and tubeless tires.

This is exactly what I did. Reynolds AR58X/62X, which is a hooked design, with GP5K tubeless. The fronts were a little harder than a standard tire, so I used a tire jack to get the last little bit on. The rears went on completely by hand.

These wheels went on my road bike. I’m still running latex tubes on my tri bike race wheels, although I’m thinking about switching those over to tubeless as well. Literally every flat I’ve seen during my group rides over the last few months would have been non issues if those riders were tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you say ride quality is equal?

I would think at same PSI it would be equal and at less PSI it’s better

But I’m not certain? What do you think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non-tubeless tires + latex tubes are currently faster than tubeless tires w/o tubes. This is because the casing of the tubeless tire is less supple than a std tire can be.

Technology is improving, so tubeless may eventually catch up; but for now a GP5000 with latex runs faster than a tubeless GP5000. Additionally, there are faster TT tires (ex. Conti Supersonics) that are not available in tubeless.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Non-tubeless tires + latex tubes are currently faster than tubeless tires w/o tubes. This is because the casing of the tubeless tire is less supple than a std tire can be.

Technology is improving, so tubeless may eventually catch up; but for now a GP5000 with latex runs faster than a tubeless GP5000. Additionally, there are faster TT tires (ex. Conti Supersonics) that are not available in tubeless.

Thanks for feedback. This is for road race bike, not TT. Altho I still ride GP5000 on my TT =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Technology is improving, so tubeless may eventually catch up; .

It's already caught up. Tubeless tires all over the list of fastest tires, including second place. (and I'm not sure I'd run Veloflex records on the road)

These are all using latex tubes, but you could run any of the tubeless versions tubeless with presumably no loss in efficiency.

Last edited by: trail: Nov 22, 20 14:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Why would I run latex tubes over tubeless?

Seems ride quality would be better on tubeless, less flats and I could stop buying $15 tubes

There are pros and cons to both. But I don’t think you can go wrong with either as long as you select the right tire and are confident in the setup.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

each has a layer of latex holding the air in...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Technology is improving, so tubeless may eventually catch up; .

It's already caught up. Tubeless tires all over the list of fastest tires, including second place. (and I'm not sure I'd run Veloflex records on the road)

These are all using latex tubes, but you could run any of the tubeless versions tubeless with presumably no loss in efficiency.

Whoa. Where did that Veloflex come from?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Where have you been? We've already got some guinea pigs trying them out to see if they'll survive on the road. Since they're apparently condom-thin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Where have you been? We've already got some guinea pigs trying them out to see if they'll survive on the road. Since they're apparently condom-thin.

Uhhh, maybe you've heard of a little thing called homeschooling?

Makes the Vittoria Corsa Speed even more impressive. They've been bombproof for me with hundreds of miles on all sorts of roads.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Do you have a source for the GP5K + latex being faster than GP5K tubeless? I ask because these are the two configurations I run and I still haven’t decided which one is a better fit for me. Per the bike rolling resistance web site, I understood that GP5K tubeless was faster than GP5K non-tubeless due to lower rolling resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Do you have a source for the GP5K + latex being faster than GP5K tubeless? I ask because these are the two configurations I run and I still haven’t decided which one is a better fit for me. Per the bike rolling resistance web site, I understood that GP5K tubeless was faster than GP5K non-tubeless due to lower rolling resistance.

Look at the chart above. The GP5K non tubeless was tested with a latex tube. The BRR website tests with butyl tubes.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Look at the chart above. The GP5K non tubeless was tested with a latex tube. The BRR website tests with butyl tubes.

It should be noted it's barely faster. ~1.3W for a pair of wheels at 45kph. Which is *fast*. So under a Watt difference for most conditions outside of a really fast TT.

But for a really fast TT, it's better to use the Corsa Speed, Record, or Supersonic anyway.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 22, 20 19:16
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

BRR does indeed give a fractional edge to the TL https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...nd-prix-5000-tl-2018
However the aerocoach chart posted by trail says differently. likely some test protocol variations... notably BRR uses michelin latex tubes whereas i think aerocoach use vittoria which are considered to be a bit faster (can't remember the source for that and not sure if there is a puncture protection tradeoff)... aerocoach is 45km/h whereas BRR is 28.8km/h - which is more typical for you? not a lot in it either way though really, probably better to focus on the latex vs tubless pros and cons as they affect you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I didn’t see the details in the chart. As mentioned above, according to that testing data, the GP5K clincher vs tubeless is basically a wash in terms of rolling resistance at my more pedestrian pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

As well as which is faster I would also be interested if anyone can give a direct comparison between which are more puncture prone, tubeless or latex tubed, especially current crop where there is a choice between the two such as gp5000.

Personally I found tubeless to be much worse for flats, especially the cut type you are more likely to get on the road. Could well have just been the tyres I tried (Hutchinson). I went back to schwalbe one evolution and never had a single flat in the following two years. I'm still too scarred to try tubeless again at the moment...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
stevej wrote:

It should be noted it's barely faster. ~1.3W for a pair of wheels at 45kph. Which is *fast*. So under a Watt difference for most conditions outside of a really fast TT.

But for a really fast TT, it's better to use the Corsa Speed, Record, or Supersonic anyway.

Around here, to do flat TT's you have to really get out of town. Closer to where folks live, it is constant little rollers. Meaning, you're either going uphill at under 20mph or downhill at 35+ mph. At which point, any of the aero and CRR for really "fast" riders suddenly applies to everyone.

That's why the fast tunnel tests kinda do apply to more riders than you think. Unless you're doing super flat RTT British motorway TT's, your TT's probably aren't super flat.

And downhill speed is TRUE airspeed for aero and ground speed for CRR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
stevej wrote:

Supersonic FTW. Big fan of that tire.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What's faster - Latex Tubes or Tubeless? [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
As well as which is faster I would also be interested if anyone can give a direct comparison between which are more puncture prone, tubeless or latex tubed, especially current crop where there is a choice between the two such as gp5000.

Why would tubeless flat more, than with tubes?

I would think w sealant in the tires, you should flat less?
Quote Reply

Prev Next