Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike
Quote | Reply
After reading this

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...techctr/gearing.html

I just wanted to see what every one was running. I have a 39-48 I think on my Cyclo-cross bike that I only use on the road and want to maybe make some changes. More roady/tri. On the back I'm pretty sure it's a 12-25 cassette.

-thx.
Last edited by: Marc I: Jul 28, 07 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [Marc I] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bike: 53-39 up front with a 11-25 in the rear
Road bike (which I do most of my training on): 53-42 up front with a 12-23 in the rear.
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [Marc I] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri bike is 54X39 and 11-23.

road bike is 53X39 and 11-23.

I do not live in a very hilly part of the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT bike : 55/42 x 11/21

Road bike : 53/39 x 11/23

Gearing is very subjective. It all depends on what kind of terrain you ride/race on and how much power you have.

Jeff

Pain is weakness leaving the body
Last edited by: jrob: Jul 28, 07 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only have one bike (sniff)

50/34 and 12-27
Last edited by: HTFU: Jul 28, 07 17:14
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [HTFU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone that rides a compact crank isn't worthy of the "HTFU" screen name. And a 27 cog? A TWENTY-SEVEN???

Sorry about that, it's not me who makes the rule, it's Chopper Reid!
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. You cant call yourself "HTFU" and use a compact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road Bike is 53/42/30 (Power Cranks) with 11-23. That covers every eventuality. I rarely use the 30 except during the winter when I'm focusing on keeping my HR down.
Tri Bike has a 56/39 for most races and 12-27, which allows me to spin up most hills. I will change out the gearing for flatter races, for example at Treasure Island I used 53/39 with 12-21. I used to use 11-25, but found (after taking Dev's advice) that I could perform better by coasting (and resting) at speeds approaching 40 mph. I didn't get the same top speeds, but seem to be averaging faster.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I don't have to think of HTFU, but I do live in northern Colorado. Just now in the process of converting to 34/50 and 11-28 10-sp, on 650 wheels. My tandem is 24/38/54 and 11-34 7-sp.
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Someone that rides a compact crank isn't worthy of the "HTFU" screen name. And a 27 cog? A TWENTY-SEVEN???

Sorry about that, it's not me who makes the rule, it's Chopper Reid!

Tell Chopper Reid to come ride up Brasstown Bald with me with a 42 X 21 and we can discuss the rules at the top.
Last edited by: HTFU: Jul 28, 07 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [HTFU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chopper Reid is telling you to get a 39-23 and HTFU!!! :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a 52/39 with a 12-25 casette. That puts my speed on the 52-15 at about 23.5 mph at 85 rpm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madison Wisconsin here.

Tri bike 50x34 compact up front with 11x23 int he back
road bike 54x39 front with 12x25 up front
no idea on the mountain bike other than a triple up front...

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [Indigodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
53/39 11-21, no compact crank crap, didn't have compact cranks 20 year ago, dont' need them now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri #1 (Zipp training bike) 50-34 and 12-26, 180mm Rotor Cranks

Tri #2 (Zipp racing bike) 54-39 and 12-25, 180mm Rotor Cranks

Tri #3 (Titanflex training bike) 53-39 and 12-25, 172.5mm Rotor Cranks

Road bike #1 50-34 and 12-27, 180mm Rotor Cranks

Road bike #2 (on trainer, used occasionally on the road) 50-34 and 12-25, 175mm compact cranks

When I lived on the Florida east coast I used all 54-42's and 12-21. All removed after moving to Arizona.

I now live in the mountains (4500ft in Sedona) and race mostly in the flats (1300ft in Phoenix area)

I really miss long easy 50 mile bike rides. You can't do that here....there is no "easy" with the flat day of 2000ft of climbing in 20 miles.

Paul
Last edited by: zipp: Jul 28, 07 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Current road setup: 53-39x12-25
Road setup next week: 50-34x12-26

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
54/42 with 11-25 in back on 650s.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, too, am confident enough to publicly acknowledge that I have a 50/34 - 12/27 on my tri bike even though I only ride in the hills at most once a week; I have 53/39 - 12/25 on my road bike (although I never ride the road bike).

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
54x12-25 yup, 1x8.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help my agency save babies. visit our March of Dimes website:
http://www.walkamerica.org/torresagency
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road bike and tri bike both have 50/34 front and 11-23 rear.
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trainer Bike/Crit Bike: 52/39 with 12-25

Road Bike#1: 50/34 with 12-25

Road Bike #2: 52/39 with 12-25

Cross Bike: 46/36 with 12-25

Tri Bike: 53/39 with 11-23

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

http://physasst.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my road and tri bikes have a 50/36 (Q-Rings) with an 11-21 cassette, sometimes an 11-23.

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
Quote Reply
Re: What's everyone running for gearing on there tri/road bike [Alan Romania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For flat tris I ride 48/40 up front, 11-21 in back: lets me ride 22-25mph at 90 rpm with a straight chainline as long as my max anticipated speed is ~30-32ish.
For TTs I ride 54/40 11-21 for a straight chainline at 25+
For hilly tris I ride 54/40 and 11-23: good top end speed on long downhills and flexible gearing for climbs.
(all Qrings btw)

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bikes - 53/39 on the front, mix of 11/21 to 12/25 on the back
Cross bike - 48/36 and 12/27
Track bike - 48 on the front (49 and 50 on order), 13 to 15 on the back
TT bike - 53/39 on the front, mix of 12/19 to 12/25 on the back

For the TT bike, my race setup is a 12/19 straight (8 speed). It's nice having cog steps in 1 tooth increments. Just run the index shifters in friction mode and use any cassette you want!
Quote Reply

Prev Next