Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's easiest way to -sniff sniff- price your tri bike to sell?
Quote | Reply
Before I start up a classified, I thought I'd ask you guys (with way more wisdom and knowledge on this stuff) first. Any easier way to figure out how to offload your gear, but not be giving it away? Basically moving in near future and sadly have to part with a lot of gear including my bike :( I've never had to sell one and bought it used. Any pointers are appreciated! (Hopefully I did this right?)
Quote Reply
Re: What's easiest way to -sniff sniff- price your tri bike to sell? [rwiltshire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd price it via the average sold price in eBay +15%. That gives you a little bit of cushion for offers so people can feel like they got a good deal.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What's easiest way to -sniff sniff- price your tri bike to sell? [rwiltshire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following...

I’m planning on selling mine so very interesting.

Was wondering, are there any bike brands / dealers that would take your used bike as % of payment for a new one?

Something similar as some car dealerships do.

Never heard about it, hence asking.
Quote Reply
Re: What's easiest way to -sniff sniff- price your tri bike to sell? [ARA18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure The Pro's Closet will sell your bike on commission.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Estimate the value yourself. Than divide that by two.

As someone said, look in ebay for similar products.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Sep 6, 18 4:03
Quote Reply
Re: What's easiest way to -sniff sniff- price your tri bike to sell? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continuation:
I indeed sold once a tt bike for someone who estimated it way too much.

In fact it was an uninteresting frame with interesting parts. I sold the parts separately and put uninteresting parts on the frame which latter than went away for I think about 500€.
The parts for 1500€.

So it totally depends on what you have: you will provably hardly find your configuration on ebay.
Just consider selling interesting parts separately, maybe you could get more like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a nice group set and a nice set of race wheels on it, sell the frame, wheels, groupset separately. You will get more value that way. People are just not willing to pay for a used tri bike with di2 and deep aero wheels. I tell people to start their pricing at a maximum of 60% of MSRP. If you want to move the item quickly, it should be closer to 40-50%. The general consesus is people think their bikes are worth way more than they really are. Your bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for.

In general, I think eBay is extremely overpriced. You can get an idea there but there are people that want an insane amount of money for their bikes on there.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What's easiest way to -sniff sniff- price your tri bike to sell? [ARA18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ARA18 wrote:
Following...

I’m planning on selling mine so very interesting.

Was wondering, are there any bike brands / dealers that would take your used bike as % of payment for a new one?

Something similar as some car dealerships do.

Never heard about it, hence asking.

lynskey takes trade-ins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is all great stuff, I really appreciate this feedback! I am liking Slowtwitch already!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bike/gear current and relevant? New model coming? Start here. Then is it a common size? Then price based on desire to sell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned you bought the bike used. How old is the bike?

I ask because.
1. If the bike is a current design and equipped with 11s drivetrain, I'd start with listing it right around the price that you paid for it. You already paid a depreciated value of the bike and it likely hasn't depreciated too much since that time.

2. If you bought the bike more than a few years old (or a previous generation) and it's got a 10s drivetrain, you're going to have a more difficult time recouping your money. I'd take a good look at how much people are listing similar bikes on facebook marketplace (or otherwise) and price yours lower to attract potential buyers.

Be honest with yourself and how much you're willing to let it go for and don't waste your time with people that still want to offer below that amount. Some people are not reasonable and don't play well in the sandbox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google your bike make, model, year.
Do the same on Ebay and search the sold auctions.
Check Facebook marketplace ads.

Pick a price you're good with and list it. The more aggressive the price, the quicker it will sell.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: What's easiest way to -sniff sniff- price your tri bike to sell? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Your bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for.

This is true of all things in the world......car, house, bike, art......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can search all of Craigslist this way: in google search type: "whatever you want to search" Site:Craigslist.org.

Personally the above advice sounds really good. This is just another way to search for pricing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of what you want to get, divide it by almost 2. I think another poster said that.

Also, ebay has pretty good recommendations if you search and 'sell a similar item'. Make sure you charge enough for shipping.

Honestly, I price things pretty low since that's what people want to pay, it's not making money sitting still, and I don't want to haggle.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should make make more money if you sell it locally on craigslist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used www.re-cycle-tucson.com to sell my 26in mtn bike. I had zero luck selling it even trying for less than he sold it for. I tried ST classifieds, multiple FB groups & tweeted it out.

james got a pretty solid price for me and I didn't have to do any of the work.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply