Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)?
Quote | Reply
I know people love their light weight bikes with top-of-the-line gear, but I was wondering what sort of weight is a good shooting point for a mid to high range tri bike (by this I mean the average bike with full Ultegra, carbon frame, and training wheels).

So, as the title asks...

What is a respectable weight for a tri bike?

Take into consideration:
Ultegra spec
Training wheels
Training tires

Im guessing training wheels and tires increase the weight a far bit.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [IMJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say 19-20 lbs. would be pretty respectable.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [IMJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My P2SL weighs a tad over 18 lbs with Bontrager race lite wheels (ultegra derailleurs, brakes, 1995'ish campy chorus aluminium crankset and BB)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $1400 Felt weighs 19 lbs so a thousand or two should buy you another pound.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a tri bike who cares? My old P2K was around 20 lbs, about three more than my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems as if people are embarrased about having a bike over 20lbs!

Just under 25 with a repair kit, pedals and a bottle of water is more likely if you have a metal machine. The Ultegra parts are not heavy, the frame and training wheels add most of the weight.

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Last edited by: mudflaps: Jun 27, 07 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [mudflaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It seems as if people are embarrased about having a bike over 20lbs!
Right now I have an extra 20 around my waist.... At this point my bike is the least of my concerns;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that a stock tri bike with Ultegra would come in between 19-22 lbs. I think my Dual was around 21 lbs before I started to do upgrades over the last few years. It is now at 15.5 lbs and more aero than stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm shooting for under 190 lbs, combined bike and rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everybody is going to say being aero is more important than weight on a tri bike which is 100% true. if you can go more aero instead of shaving couple of grams that would be much better.
For my opinion difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace is minimal. If you look at the weight to price ratio, it is not that much if you are comparing the old Ultegra vs. new Dura Ace. Biggest differences in weight are the cassettes and cranckset.
but I have to admit if you can get the best of the both worlds it is a way to go. aero and light. I recently switched to a lighter tri bike (16 and sub 16lbs depending on wheel choice) from a heavy tri bike and it makes a huge difference even on flat courses.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised to find my P3sl (stock, but with Adamo saddle) weighed in at 20.8lbs. But then it is a 61cm.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [Hoagy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Zipps weight in at a hefty 22lbs with HED3 and Renn disc. My Titanflex is much less though I have not weighed it yet. My bikes are very aero, as is my position, which gets me near the top of the bike splits, even at my age. Weight doesn't really matter all that much. I use my Zipps all the time on rides with 1,000's of feet of climbing.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, don't get me wrong I'm not losing sleep over it.
I just had the chance to weigh my bike the other day and was surprised by how heavy it is...

The bike is a Giant trinity 07 with mavic cosmic elites, Im thinking most of the weight is in the wheels as with tires and cassette they are around 3kg as a set.

On a side note: Can anyone tell me the weight (or an idea) of the 07 Trinity frame? (full carbon)
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you mind listing the spec for your Dual? Amazed you got it down that light!
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second that!!!!

--
When you are on slowtwitch, your competition is out training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have an old trek y-foil that i converted to a tri bike. it has a full carbon frame, syntace bars, rolf wheels, specialized mondo tires and comes in at a tad over 18 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm shooting for under 190 lbs, combined bike and rider"

wow I am in the under 190 club with a steel bike

this is great news
this is my only club

dirt
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My combined bike and rider is about 165lbs. But it means absolutely nothing!
Quote Reply
Re: What's a respectable weight for a Tri bike (Ultegra spec)? [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Dual (Black paint and white lettering)
Easton EC90 Aero fork
Easton Attack TT medium with Hed Carbon armrests.
Syntace F99 Stem
Custom Carbon Top Cap with no compressor (how many times does your stem come loose)
Bontranger Carbon Aero Levers
Shimano Dura-Ace SL-BS78
Zero Gravity SS brakes
Nokon Brake and Shifter housings.
Cervelo Single Position post (lightest available post for a cervelo)
Fizik Arione TRI2 Braided Carbon
Cervelo Seat post clamp
American Classic Sprint 350 wheels
Dura-Ace 11-23 cassette
KMC X10SL chain
FSA Carbon Pro Cranks 50/36
Kult BB 68X108
Conti Grand Prix 4000 tires
Air B latex tubes
Speedplay X/2 SS black ano aluminum butterfly
Dura-Ace FD-7800-F
Dura-Ace RD-7800-SS w/ carbon plates and ti spring
Cane Creek IS Headset
Omni Racer Skewers (very much like the M2 Racer skewers)
CatEye Strada wireless
Arundel Carbon Chrono Cage and Bottle

When I was upgrading my Light Weight road bike 13.75 lbs, I took a lot of the parts from there and put them on this bike.

I am pretty sure that the Dual is actually under 15.5 lbs but I will not know until I have a new scale which should arrive soon.

I am a firm believer that if you can get the weight of your bike down and make it more aero then this is the best of both worlds. Yes aerodynamics are more important than weight but if you can take 5-6 pounds off your bike and make it more aero, this is a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with all the talk of bike/ rider combination weight, i'll thorw mine in the mix: 100 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weight reduction is important on a climbing bike because you are fighting the force of gravity. Because tris are usually done on flat roads, weight shouldn't be your major concern -- rolling and wind resistance are going to slow you more than gravitation pull. IMO, A good aerodynamic position with aero equipment is more important than weight on a tri bike. I would use my bike dollars on a professional fitting, aero wheels, and funky helmet. I don't ride carbon on my tri/TT bike and I have no desire to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike is close to your spec. It's just over 16lbs.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
35 lbs for an IM rocket.

15.5 for the bike
1.5 for the 7k in cash to pay for the bike
1lbs for the 3 carbon cages and 2 bento boxes
and
17lbs for all of the food, liquid, spare tires, and crap for IM race day.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply