Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit tops for cold weather tri's
Quote | Reply
As I prepare for an early season tri in the northeast, I'm wondering what I might do to stay warm, especially on the bike. One of my thoughts is to wear a two piece wetsuit and leave the top on during the bike. I'm usually warm enough in the water but getting on my bike with a wet tri suit and I have a tough time getting my body temp up. Has anyone tried this or do you have any thoughts about how to stay warm on a cool day? A DeSoto T1 speedvest maybe?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit tops for cold weather tri's [konaboysteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like a terrible idea.

Stick a plastic grocery bag down the front of your suit.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I have seen a story where someone has done this before, but I am pretty sure it didn't turn out well. Why don't you try riding with the top on during training and see how it goes. I don't know where, but I am sure there will be some chafing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Concept 5 top for a couple of abnormally cold sprint tri's in the Houston area last year. Race morning temps were around 35. Learned a few things after the first try, made adjustments and the next time went much better.
One thing was that the water slowly drained out of the top while on the bike, even though I tried to dry off some. My feet got really cold with water in my shoes and I couldn't feel my feet the whole run. The next time in T1 I stuffed a small towel in the front of the top to catch the water. Worked out great. I'll try to think of some other things that helped out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done a few cold weather events now, and here’s what I found works for me:

Wear a 2 piece race outfit. In T1, I change to a dry top and spend a little extra time to towel dry my hair. Depending on how cold it is, I’ll also put a grocery bag in the front my top, which REALLY helps to block the wind, put on arm warmers, and gloves, and maybe leg warmers. I’ve also used my cycling shoes because I wear socks with those.

How much of the above I do depends on how cold it is and the length of the bike ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit tops for cold weather tri's [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good thoughts. I've done cold tri's in the past and have had a very tough time warming up on the bike. One memorable sprint I couldn't get my body temp back up until the run was almost done.

When I come out of the water I'm warm but because my tri-suit is wet, the combination of cool air and evaporation causes me to get quite cold biking. I was so cold one time that my fingers could not unfasten my helmet strap in T-2 and needed to get help.

In the fall I watch football players wear tri-tops under their jerseys to stay warm during cold and wet games.

I've seen sleeveless tops that I might be able to wear under a longsleeved wetsuit. Maybe the best idea is to put on a dry top and a jacket. It just seems like that would take too much time. The trade-off would be a better performance with a higher core temp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always throw on a less breathable windbreaker, if you have a tighter fitting one. You'd still be able to ventilate with the front zipper that way if you get too warm. As suggested before, plastic garbage bag in the front of your top would do the same thing, kind of a vapor barrier.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit tops for cold weather tri's [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another good thought. I'll be experimenting over the next few weeks. It seems like the wetsuit top is not a workable idea. Thanks
Quote Reply