Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Mark Lemmon
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 5, 18 7:02
Re: Water temp is announced at 78.0. You are pretty sure it is above 78.0. Would you wear a wetsuit and stand on the podium? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp is announced at 78.0. You are pretty sure it is above 78.0. Would you wear a wetsuit and stand on the podium? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if it's 'legal' then you take any advantage you can. There is certainly a risk that overheating outweighs the advantage you get in the water and taking a hotter body into the B/R may be a risk. You could consider wearing Roka shorts or something that would not cause overheating yet still give you a buoyancy benefit. That's what I'd do if I couldn't wear my sleeveless WS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they announce the race as wetsuit legal, it doesn't really matter what you think or even measure it as. That's the "ruling" for the day. If it was my athlete, I always recommend wearing wetsuit in a wetsuit legal swim because wetsuit swims are far more aggressive and athletes have a great chance of getting "beat up" if they aren't in one.

Now if you are a super swimmer and can out swim everyone, that's a bit different, but my rule is- if it's wetsuit legal race (and no I'm not talking about wearing it for non-awards), you wear the wetsuit.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the RD says it's legal then I'd wear it.

If it were an elite division the RD might drop that temp down to 68°F to align with ITU/USAT rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the water temperature is announced at 78.0 degrees, it was honest-to-God measured at 78.0 degrees.

The old USAT Officials' Guide had this provision:
Quote:
"The head referee, or his/her designee, will measure the temperature of the water at the swim venue the day before the event. The temperature should be measured as close to the actual start time of the event as logically possible. The final temperature will be measured on race morning at least one hour prior to the start of the swim....The head referee may decide to measure at or near the shoreline. The coldest measurement will be in shallow water before dawn. If there is a boat dock or pier, the water may be measured by using the thermometer directly in the water or by dipping out a bucket-full and measuring the bucket....Only the head referee is delegated the authority to modify the guidelines for measurement. There can be no modification of the temperature requirements for wetsuit usage. The water temperature will be posted at the packet pickup site, and will be announced at any pre-race meetings. It will also be posted at the race site on race day."

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Mark Lemmon [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 5, 18 6:32
Quote | Reply
So, now some follow-up questions:
  • Is the race USAT sanctioned?
  • Is the RD USAT certified?
  • Is the race applying all USAT rules?

If the race is USAT sanctioned, it's basically an agreement that the RD knows what the rules are, and may request outside officiating if they so choose. At which point, you trust that the RD will follow the above regs with regard to taking water temperature. As mentioned, taking the water temp early in the morning in shallow water will give you the coldest reading, which can bring a race into the allowable range where you believe the rest of the swim was "warm."

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp is announced at 78.0. You are pretty sure it is above 78.0. Would you wear a wetsuit and stand on the podium? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Ryan. Understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical US approach: Trust nobody. The organization takes the temperature with a thermometer but my left pinky indicates it's warmer. Don't trust the organization, trust your little pinky.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp is announced at 78.0. You are pretty sure it is above 78.0. Would you wear a wetsuit and stand on the podium? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Typical US approach: Trust nobody. The organization takes the temperature with a thermometer but my left pinky indicates it's warmer. Don't trust the organization, trust your little pinky.

As a proud American for 59 years and a triathlon competitor for 35 years, I believe I have gained the ability to make that determination, which is necessary wherever you live on our beautiful planet. :)
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 5, 18 6:44
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp is announced at 78.0. You are pretty sure it is above 78.0. Would you wear a wetsuit and stand on the podium? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a problem is that RDs want the races to be wetsuit legal. Yes they will use a thermometer and take a temperature, the problem is usually WHERE they take the temp. I had a similar situation a couple years ago at an oly. RD says congrats! the water is exactly 78 degrees! The people that know how to swim roll their eyes and shuffle back to their cars or transition to get wetsuits. The problem, he took that temp from the dock, on the shady side, 2-3 feet down. The top 12 inches, where people actually swim, had to be low to mid eighties.

anyway, i poured some cold water into my suit before the start (beach start), that seemed to help.
Last edited by: tfleeger: Jul 5, 18 6:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
At an event where there is no outside USAT official present. The water temp is taken by the race organization. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wear a wetsuit, but will I be a fool, competition wise, because most of my peers will be wearing their rubber? I'm calculating that the wetsuit will benefit my race time despite any heating issues from wearing the suit in water warmer than 78.0. Thanks for the feedback!

USAT wetsuit rule from those not familiar: 4.4 Wet suits. Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.

You are overthinking it.

If it's legal by the announced race standards, it's legal. If you don't want to wear it because you think it's really 90 degrees, that's on you.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp is announced at 78.0. You are pretty sure it is above 78.0. Would you wear a wetsuit and stand on the podium? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:

Yes, we Americans are pretty smart.
Quote Reply