Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit or no wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I have a 1/4 swim in an aqua bike next week. Wondering if I should wear a wetsuit or not. I live in New England and it was a late start to spring so the water may be pretty cold. I’ll have to check up on that.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I have to race over 200 meters I'm going to wear a wetsuit.

Do I have to? No, at worst it will be a wash on the finish time
Last edited by: jaretj: May 31, 18 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is simple math... How much faster does a wetsuit make you? If it is around 5 seconds/100yards, then that works out to about 22 seconds. Can you remove your wetsuit in under 22 seconds? If a wetsuit speeds you up more than 5 seconds, then the wetsuit probably nets to faster overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly don’t know. I’ve never really done a controlled expieriment. Just outdoor stuff occasionally.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless it’s a no wetsuit race, always wear your wetsuit. The time you save in the water will almost certainly outweigh the time spent taking it off. As soon as you can stand, unzip, top half off and run to your bike. Legs come out in less than 10 seconds and you’re off.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wear the wetsuit, even if you don’t save time, you will save energy! BTW- practice getting your wetsuit off- Cameron Dye is probably the gold standard, as he consistently gets his off in about 5 seconds, and does so using only his feet, while he is putting on his helmet! Even if you can’t get to this level, anyone, with practice, should be able to be under 10-15 seconds. Cutting your wetsuit legs to mid calf length is a big help if you have big calf’s :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is simple math
---
The equation might be a little more complicated than that. For example, you need to account for temperature and the effects that cold/ warm water might have on the rest of your race. And energy management (which is different than speed).

In the end, based on the OP, wetsuits are typically the better option than no wetsuits.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits are always a better option just like a disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Which race are you doing? FIRM, MRA and SME aren't racing next week (I'm assuming you mean 6/9). Wellfleet is this week and I suspect Cape Cod bay is still a tad chilly. Max is next week but I didn't think Tim offered an aquabike option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 1/4 swim in an aqua bike next week. Wondering if I should wear a wetsuit or not. I live in New England and it was a late start to spring so the water may be pretty cold. I’ll have to check up on that.

Not only faster, you'll stay warmer (as it HAS been cooler this spring here in NE) and be more comfortable and rested for the bike portion. It's not fun cycling and not being able to feel your feet. (*worse having to run after that, which fortunately you do not have to do) Even if the time was even for no wetsuit, that's extra energy you can take with you to the bike.

Watch a few videos and practice T1, even without the water, if necessary. Get body glide in the right sticky spots. Know what you have to do before you get to the transition area.

Wear the wetsuit, always, if allowed.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [70Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Miles wrote:
Wetsuits are always a better option just like a disc.

Disc seem to be a thing of the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Which race are you doing? FIRM, MRA and SME aren't racing next week (I'm assuming you mean 6/9). Wellfleet is this week and I suspect Cape Cod bay is still a tad chilly. Max is next week but I didn't think Tim offered an aquabike option.

MRA summer solstice. It’s Friday and a night race. Never done an MRA looking forward to it.

Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The equation might be a little more complicated than that. For example, you need to account for temperature and the effects that cold/ warm water might have on the rest of your race. And energy management (which is different than speed). //

It is even more complicated that you make it. Presumably this guy is not a front pack swimmer, the kind that only gets 6 seconds a 100. So probably a guy that gets 10+ seconds per 100..And outside of your calculations, is the one where which feet you get to swim on. Most the time if you go 10 seconds a 100 faster, you are naturally going to get on faster feet, certainly give yourself that opportunity. And the further up the swim ladder you go, the better the packs, the straighter they swim, and the more extra time you save with the same energy output...

There has only been one race that I never swam in a wetsuit in that I could have, and that was a 100 yd swim where I actually swam in my Nike sock racers, then biked and ran in them. 100 yd swim/2 mile/ bike1/2 mile run. I won it going away... (-;

Almost forgot, you get out with faster bikers too, and that has shown to be a distinct advantage on that leg too...
Last edited by: monty: May 31, 18 15:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an awesome race. It's the only night race in the area and it can be gorgeous if the weather cooperates. I would do it if the Max Performance Harvest races weren't the next morning.

The swim is a piece of cake. The lake should be OK temperature wise (it can be non-wetsuit for the BVO races later in the summer but definitely not in June. The beach area is small so it's a self-seeded, time-trial start in pairs with a three second leave interval. There's a nasty steep run from the water to T1. I'm a runner and I mean nasty steep. Wear the suit and strip down to your waist before beginning the run to T1. Practice at the pool if you have to.

Post-race food is great. Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How did the swim go? It was a gorgeous evening for a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit or no wetsuit? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:

How did the swim go? It was a gorgeous evening for a race.

Quite nice. Beautiful day. Only problem I had was my wetsuit got stuck on my timing chip. That was a new one...

Quote Reply