Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit lifespan?
Quote | Reply
What are your experiences in how long a wetsuit should and actually does last? I tried to put on my approx. 8 year old Xterra suit and the leg completely ripped (not just a nick....a giant hole opened up in the lower leg). I guess 8 years is too much for the material to last? It's been well-cared for...not left in the sun and washed after every use. Just curious any else's experience with the actual lifetime of a suit?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit lifespan? [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they are all different

I have a sleeveless promotion I believe is 15 years old still fine

I have heard the ROKAs are fragile that has not been my experience

I have a maverick x with approx 60 pool swims and 6 races and no issues at all

Just rinse it off after use
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
What are your experiences in how long a wetsuit should and actually does last? I tried to put on my approx. 8 year old Xterra suit and the leg completely ripped (not just a nick....a giant hole opened up in the lower leg). I guess 8 years is too much for the material to last? It's been well-cared for...not left in the sun and washed after every use. Just curious any else's experience with the actual lifetime of a suit?

8 years is a pretty good chunk of time that I don't have data on but I am getting close. Personally, I love a well-used, broken in suit and have repaired a few decent size rips.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Nineteen wetsuit which was very inexpensive, that I have been mostly using since 2008.

In the last 2 seasons I went back to using it after using something (much more expensive) else for two years, but which never was as comfortable or as fast. Times went back down instantly (I'm not fast, 26min Oly)). I never wash it, leave it in a shopping bag between races and it has a few nicks, I occasionally repair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My well-abused wetsuit, an Xterra cheapo, is 9 years old. Lots of finger-related tears, and I patched a lot of them which makes it look quite beat up, but works great.

Not sure why your leg would tear off, that's not normal.

A key thing I learned though is to NOT store it folded in any way. Hanging on a clothes hanger is definitely the best. I left part of my wetsuit folded in half for several months on a shelf, and when I got back to it, there was a permanent crease with small tears in the substance, luckily not a problem, but I could see how that might become a rip spot if I had left it that way for longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 4 years into an Orca 3.8.
Well looked after but also well used (I can use it through the Winter at a spring fed pool that remains 14 or 15C even when it's snowing).

Not failed yet but the shoulder/ under arm panels feel quite 'deterioriated' and almost perished (It's not perished but has almost that sort if feel).
Think I'll get this season out of it (esp. having lost 2 months OW swimming so far and no races) but expect it will die after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suits tend to last 5-7yrs before some of the seams start to come unglued. It's of course going to vary based on how often you wear your suit and how you treat it.

One key factor is that neoprene dries out and becomes more brittle and rip-prone (think of a dry sponge....or that old mouse mat that is crumbling). Emilio De Soto recommends that at the beginning of each race season you soak your suit in the shower or tub and then let it air dry to restore the elasticity lost over the off season. Many wetsuit rips are due to putting on a dried out suit that has been sitting too long.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...suit%20soak#p5927741

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the key to making a suit last is how it's put on, being patient, slow and careful imo is the key. Every single bit of damage to my wet suit has been a direct result of my impatience. The darn things just don't go on like a nice pair of well fitted pants, if it did it would be useless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t hang them up. After years the seams sometimes needs a bit of glue, also pretty easy to fix a small tear from nail marks when putting on. All suits I have had have lasted years, my current one is 13 years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The life span is directly related to use. The more you use it, the shorter the life span. I really take care of my stuff, but due to Covid19 I've been doing a ton of ows with my Roka. It's getting a lot of use in all conditions. My ows has never been better, but invariably I know it's putting some wear on my wetsuit.
Quote Reply