Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit ideas / advice
Quote | Reply
Thinking of upgrading / replacing my 5-year old Sailfish Attack wetsuit.

The strange thing is, I seem to be faster in a race without a wetsuit, although the data is not really from the same course, year etc.. I've done 5 IM's, with wetsuit swam 1.00.17, 59.27, 1.00.30 (2x IM vichy, 1x IMMD) and without 57.48, 57.16 (2xKona). IMMD and last Kona are in a similar swim shape based on pool times. Kona is with swimskin.

In a pool I feel I get some benefit (2-3s/100m), but haven't swam really long intervals to compare.

Would the newer arms-up etc things bring some benefit, how about selecting a "better" swimmer type suit, any experiences or advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit ideas / advice [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:

The strange thing is, I seem to be faster in a race without a wetsuit, although the data is not really from the same course, year etc.. I've done 5 IM's, with wetsuit swam 1.00.17, 59.27, 1.00.30 (2x IM vichy, 1x IMMD) and without 57.48, 57.16 (2xKona). IMMD and last Kona are in a similar swim shape based on pool times. Kona is with swimskin.

In a pool I feel I get some benefit (2-3s/100m), but haven't swam really long intervals to compare.

Would the newer arms-up etc things bring some benefit, how about selecting a "better" swimmer type suit, any experiences or advice?

Vichy is sweet water (no salt) - less lift
Kona is salty water - more lift

Do not know what is IMMD ?

Sweet water + wet suit is probably about the same "lift" as salty water, explaining similar performances.

Wet suit choice : I like the way Orca organize its range, with more or less lift bottom and top. easy to understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit ideas / advice [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
markko wrote:

Vichy is sweet water (no salt) - less lift
Kona is salty water - more lift

Do not know what is IMMD ?

Sweet water + wet suit is probably about the same "lift" as salty water, explaining similar performances.

Wet suit choice : I like the way Orca organize its range, with more or less lift bottom and top. easy to understand.

IMMD is Maryland, brakeish water I guess. I dont feel 3 minutes difference is similar, almost 5s per 100m.

Regarding Orca, that was a bit of my question, could it be that I get too much "lift" or buoyancy from my wet suit and would benefit from a suit with less?
Quote Reply