Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit for VERY long torso?
Quote | Reply
I’m a 5’6”, 130# female with small waist, athletic thighs, and a freakishly long torso. What triathlon wetsuits (preferably under $300) are suitable for my build? I used the sizing chart on Xterra (adding, as directed, height inches for a long torso), which put me in a women’s med/large. It was bulky all over and far too big excepting the length, which was far too short and pulled uncomfortably down on my shoulders. I’m thinking about returning it for the med/long but, before I do, wanted to hear what success others have had with accommodating long torsos. I’d prefer a one-piece over a set, if I can find one that fits. I noticed both Zone 3 and 2XU have “tall” sizing. Is that just longer legs or would that sizing work for a longer torso? Any guidance would be very welcome. I’ve studied all the singing charts and written emails to all the companies asking for specific guidance. The customer service is scant; probably more people are working from home and can’t confirm measurements easily.

***Update Edit***

Just received a 2XU Propel:2 in small/medium and it fits my long torso PERFECTLY. Highly recommended for long-waisted swimmers.
Last edited by: Twost: Oct 27, 20 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for VERY long torso? [Twost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well default answer here is possibly to consider the desoto 2 piece - may help with the ability to get a larger size for the bottom than the top.

Second point is that most of the time then default to the weight rather than height on wetsuits. I'm much larger than you, and male, but I'm tall, have big thighs but relatively slight torso, and struggled with the sizes as I kept thinking along the line of clothes.

Finally found a huub that works, but my body proportions are the reverse of you. I'm all legs and no spine. Which does bring me to the thought that long spine and less in the leg length is more of a male ratio....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely consider the DeSoto 2 piece. I have the opposite problem - short torso and long arms and legs. Having a separate top and bottom inherently eliminates the whole torso sizing issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3rd for DeSoto

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendations. I did talk to a vendor who sells the DeSoto 2-piece and she said they are not a solution for long torsos.

“As for DeSoto, I sell them as well and can tell you it won't be any better for you at all. You would be a size 3 based on your weight (125-150) but height for that size is only to 5'8" [my torso size is more like that of a 5’10” or taller person]. So in essence, you are getting less torso length out of the bibjohn than you would with all the other models...You could look at the Speed Tube and either a Speed Vest or a Pullover, but note, you may still encounter missing length in the mid-section of your torso.”

So back to square one. Anyone know which brands tend to have longer torso length? I’ve heard 2XU. Can anyone confirm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twost wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations. I did talk to a vendor who sells the DeSoto 2-piece and she said they are not a solution for long torsos.

“As for DeSoto, I sell them as well and can tell you it won't be any better for you at all. You would be a size 3 based on your weight (125-150) but height for that size is only to 5'8" [.my torso size is more like that of a 5’10” or taller person]. So in essence, you are getting less torso length out of the bibjohn than you would with all the other models...You could look at the Speed Tube and either a Speed Vest or a Pullover, but note, you may still encounter missing length in the mid-section of your torso.”

So back to square one. Anyone know which brands tend to have longer torso length? I’ve heard 2XU. Can anyone confirm?
This is exactly the problem I was going to point out with de soto 2 piece. I loved their speed tube bottoms but they may leave midsection exposed—which is probably better than too much shoulder restriction but still not ideal. don’t know where the extra length is built in the suit, but did you look at Roka size ST??
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for VERY long torso? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to suggest looking at the “T” (aka Tall) size Rokas as well.

As for DeSoto, I ordered one of their two piece full sleeve wetsuits a few years ago, and the shoulder mobility was too tight for me. I have a Roka Maverick X now, and it’s much less restrictive.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for VERY long torso? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I was going to suggest looking at the “T” (aka Tall) size Rokas as well.

As for DeSoto, I ordered one of their two piece full sleeve wetsuits a few years ago, and the shoulder mobility was too tight for me. I have a Roka Maverick X now, and it’s much less restrictive.

I 100% agree with respect to Bib John. De soto top with only speed tube bottoms is fairly good. But, despite the two-piece design, I agree that the Roka is noticeably less restrictive and I have bad shoulders so it makes a difference for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a very thin tall guy, and the Roka tall option was still too much of a wedgie, with terrible neck chafing and shoulder restriction. I looked at the DeSoto 2 piece, but decided to try the Synergy two piece option, same concept, at nearly half the cost. I got the medium bottoms, with the large top, and very happy with it. I've had them for 2 seasons now, and no complaints, and they don't ride up high enough to expose my mid section. An added benifit is they are super easy to get on, great for last minute potty stop, and super easy to get out of.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for VERY long torso? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The size charts did look promising for Roka but I couldn’t find medium-tall actually stocked anywhere. I spoke to the same wetsuit rental person who dissuaded me away from the DeSoto. She recommended a 2XU Propel in the small-medium. Apparently, even without tall/long sizing, they’re just more generous in torso length? She didn’t have one available to sell in my size (lending even more credibility to her recommendation, since there’s not even a prospective sale out of it) but I did find one online. Here’s hoping it fits. I’ll report back. I’ll also look up and provide contact info for the wetsuit rental business that has been so helpful in sizing me. Apparently, one can rent up to 2 suits at a time from them (think $70/week?) and the rental cost can be applied to purchase if you buy one. I’m just too impatient to wait. I needed a wetsuit last week when the water temp was 52 and the air was 49. It took me all day to warm up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twost wrote:

“As for DeSoto, I sell them as well and can tell you it won't be any better for you at all. You would be a size 3 based on your weight (125-150) but height for that size is only to 5'8" [.my torso size is more like that of a 5’10” or taller person]. So in essence, you are getting less torso length out of the bibjohn than you would with all the other models...You could look at the Speed Tube and either a Speed Vest or a Pullover, but note, you may still encounter missing length in the mid-section of your torso.”

This is incorrect. You are not back to square one all. This guy who advised you isn't thinking it through.

You don't need any particular torso length out of the top or the bibjohn. The two combine to form one surface. As long as the top overlaps the bottom (which they all will) you are all set.

And since you can order a different sized top from the bottom, you get the perfect fit.
Last edited by: JoeO: Oct 16, 20 18:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would call and speak directly with Emilio.
Quote Reply