Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit for Florida
Quote | Reply
I normally swim in a sleeveless wetsuit. I'm contemplating going sleeved for Florida simply due to the possibility of jellyfish. I really don't want to deal with anything that could have been prevented on race day. Am I being overly cautious?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for Florida [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that is your only reason, yes. Besides, jellyfish go for your face first.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anything, I'd go full-sleeve at Florida because the swim start is CRAZY COLD. At least it was last year. I'm permanently scarred for life having to wait out in that cold, and then not dressing warm enough for the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for Florida [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think last year was the exception not the norm. But point well taken.

We wound up at Wal Mart the night before buying coats for the kids. That morning was brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full-sleeve suits are always faster anyway. So it'd be worth your while to get one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was no swim last year at IMFL.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for Florida [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

I am aware. I was standing on the beach for an hour shivering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you were speaking of air temperature. When trying to decide between sleeved vs non sleeved wetsuit, that would be waaaaaayyyyyy down the list of factors in my decision.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for Florida [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

We volunteered in the change rooms last year last year. A lot of people got in the water to "warm up". Then they sat around for a couple hours. Then they went out for a chilly ride. People were coming in off the bike barely functioning they were so cold.

If you go to a race and the weather is colder than you planned, go buy more clothes. Don't just wing it. Drive to Pensacola if you have to.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for Florida [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

We volunteered in the change rooms last year last year. A lot of people got in the water to "warm up". Then they sat around for a couple hours. Then they went out for a chilly ride. People were coming in off the bike barely functioning they were so cold.

If you go to a race and the weather is colder than you planned, go buy more clothes. Don't just wing it. Drive to Pensacola if you have to.

I'll be packing for all conditions this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think jellyfish are a problem by November. It might vary by year, but the peak seems to be in August.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temperature is pretty much perfect that time of year. Air temp might be cold. There are some jellyfish but I would not let that alter my decision in my wetsuit. I would go with a full suit merely because its faster. For you I would just say swim with whatever you are comfortable with. On calm days you can spot the jellyfish easily. They were not a factor at ALL when I raced there in 2012 and 2013.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for Florida [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done IMFLA 4 times and there were only jellyfish around one year. They really didn't present much of a problem. Wear the wetsuit you prefer and stop worrying about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Florida five times. I have never had any problems with jellyfish.

The water temp has never been that cold but the air can be very cold. Think 40-50 degrees

I would go with the full suit. Also you will want arm warmers for the first couple of hours on the bike
Quote Reply