Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Floating Legs and no kick
Quote | Reply
I just bought a T1 Desoto wetsuit and went for a swim last night in the ocean, practicing my T1 and T2 transitions for the first time. I noticed that in the wetsuit, my legs floated so much that I couldn't seem to get a decent kick in. Is that normal? Do we utilize the kick so little in Triathlon that we can have our legs floating that much? Maybe it just "felt" that way?

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Floating Legs and no kick [GoBo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually come out of the water between 35 and 45 % of the feild. I kick very little, just sorta drag em behind me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just started swimming again last year(I am 43) and was told not to kick to save my legs(really do not know if thats correct,still a newbe)swam IMCDA between 67 and 68 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure if you mean the T1 makes your legs feel higher than other suits you've tried or if this is just your first time in a wetsuit and it feels a bit different... if it is the latter, then that's how it felt for me. feels a tad awkward at first, but then you'll just love it.

like the other posters, i don't really kick, but rather flutter my legs behind me to aid my balance and stroke. i'm a FOP ager, and the lack of a kick has never hurt me. once in a while i'll churn some whitewater to get any overzealous tailgators off my toes, but that's about the extent of my kick during the swim.

enjoy your new suit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many opinions on the strong kick vs. no kick during the race. But, no matter what you do in the race, you should work on the kick and use it during training. It is often overlooked in swim training among newbies, because we all tend to train how we plan to race. Whatever you decide after listening to the experts here, definitely work on your kicking during training. It provides a great benefit to both your swimming with the added benefit of a non-impact leg workout that strengthens both your running and cycling. I would suggest getting a pair of Zoomer fins if you don't already have a pair. I often use swimming with fins and kick sets as a recovery workout from harder runs and rides.

For what it's worth, I do kick on race day, but just a flutter on a 2-beat per stroke cadance. I find it provides a good warmup for the legs and really helps my balance and rotation. Mostly do Oly and 1/2 IM. Not sure about benefit/detrement for full IM distances.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would considder myself to be a good swimmer (top 5% overall in IM Brazil). What to do and what not to do depends alot on how well you do it...aka your efficeincy. You should never rely on legs to make or break a desired swim time. Their #1 purpose on the swim is ballance. #2 would be for short bursts of speed at the start, around corners, to ward off tailgaters, and at the end just for psychological effect. I have found that extensive kicking during training and/or racing will fatigue my hip flexors by the time the run comes around. If you think about it, while we use different muscles for each discipline the lower back and hip flexors are stressed from start to finish. Use kick drills to strenghten them, but more for the bennefit of less fatigue on the bike and run. Also, many triathletes do not have a swimming background. I see them trying to "run" or "cycle" in the water. If you do this (if you bend your knees) you will be better off in the long run not kicking at all.

Yes I take drugs. Every morning I have 2 doses of get-off-my-ass-and-do-something-with-my-life.
Quote Reply
Question for Frank Day [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]I have found that extensive kicking during training and/or racing will fatigue my hip flexors by the time the run comes around.[/quote]

I have never seen claims that PowerCranks™ can improve your swim, but perhaps smeegle is on to something here.

Frank, could this be an untapped frontier for your cranks?

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Last edited by: asd99: Jul 10, 03 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Frank Day [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.

I do some legs when I swim train. I started doing kick training after a couple months of swim training without it and was amazed (and disgusted) at how hard it was to just do 200m with the kick board. I want to do a lot more of that for strength training in the future. What are "Power Cranks"?

It is my first swim wetsuit (I've been a surfer all my life) and I guess it probably just feels weird. I'm happy that the majority of you seem to say that the kick isn't super important in the swim so you can save your legs for the rest because that seems to be what I do, mainly due to a weak kick right now.

Time for more transition training tonight... humph.

(Insert a cool signature cliche here someday)
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Frank Day [GoBo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It is my first swim wetsuit (I've been a surfer all my life) and I guess it probably just feels weird. "

That's definitely part of it. Plus, the T1 tends to be more effective at bringing your legs up than most other suits. This is one of the main reasons I love the T1; it puts my body in a great "downhill" position with little or no effort.

As for PowerCranks, do a search on the forum and you'll find more than enough "discussion" about them. As far as I know, their inventor has yet to claim swimming improvements from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The majority of Triathlon swims are just like a distance swim (500, 1650, etc) in competitive swimming. Legs are primarily used for balance. That is why most distance swimmers have a two beat kick. It is not until they want to make a strong move or until the last 50-100 yards/meters that the feet really start propelling the swimmer. Wetsuits help balance the body even further.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Frank Day [GoBo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoBo, I'm a lifelong surfer too and I found it a bit weird sticking on a Tri wetsuit for the first time. Lots of rubber placed for floatation rather than warmth. It felt a bit like a cork compared to wearing my BBG zipperless suits - even the 5mm wintersuits. Got used to now though and can really appreciate the extra glide.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply