Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Buying Advice for Ex-Swimmer
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for some advice in buying a wetsuit. I used to be a club swimmer from elementary till the end of high school, but I pretty much haven't been swimming for the 7-8 years but have been bike racing instead. My form is still good, however I'm lacking the swimming fitness and I've been swimming ~1:30/100y half ironman swims in a trisuit. I qualified for worlds aquabike in September, and the water temperature looks quite cold. So I'll want a wetsuit.

I've heard that sleeved wetsuits are significantly faster than sleeveless suits, so with that in mind I was looking at the Orca Equipe or Alpha wetsuit as they are marketed towards swimmers. However upon inspection, they only have 2mm max neoprene thickness. I've heard that thicker wetsuits are faster due to increase buoyancy, but I'm not sure if I need that? Also would that be warm enough for the expected ~64F water temperature?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what they think would be fastest? Also are there any features I should be aware of or are not necessary for example arm catch panels?
Last edited by: Cajer: May 9, 20 23:46
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buying Advice for Ex-Swimmer [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2mm you cite isn't the thickest part. Other than low end wetsuits the manufacturers are mixing thickneses in different areas - thicker in the front torso (for more buoyancy) thinner over shoulders for flexibility, etc.
The 2mm is most probably over the shoulders / outer side of the arm.

Something to note is what the leg construction is - a number of makers use 5mm on the thighs to lift the legs of typical triathletes (not swimmers by background - 85% have run/ bike backgrounds is a figure I've seen - from Huub - when they 1st set up).

What I've seen with few 'proper swimers' is the suits with higher leg buoyancy, esp. In the legs, don't suit them - they bend them backwards like a banana.
(I recall guy who's raced with our tri club - ex Olympic swimmer - taking a wetsuit off after a relay race and saying how wetsuits messed up his position and hurt their back etc for that exact reason. (Try swimming with one of those massive pull bouys as a comparison- if I try one I get pains in my back after about 2 lengths)

For Orca they push 3 'series' of suits dependjng on how you naturally lay in the water. Think the Alpha is for 'proper' swimmers.

Huub as an example have their 5:3 series for sinking legs people and their 4:4 for natural swimmers.
And 3:3 for some of their women's suits as higher bouyancy didnt help they claim.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buying Advice for Ex-Swimmer [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a good article on the main site about one year ago on wetsuits. I swam through college and the info in the article informed my decision. That being said, I bought an orca equip (against the advice of the article). After reading the article, I was able to make an informed decision on what type of wetsuit I would like. I’m happy with the wetsuit,

You should be fine temperature wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buying Advice for Ex-Swimmer [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at the Huub 4:4 wetsuits and a further look at the Orca Alpha.

I also found this thread where they talk about testing swim efficiency of wetsuits through lactic and breath analysis. It seems that the Huub suits did very well, however most of their test subjects were triathletes with various swimming issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buying Advice for Ex-Swimmer [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the swimmers I know use the same wetsuits as the rest of us. There's nothing special about a wetsuit for a better swimmer.

Pick the suit that fits the best.

Sleeved suits can be faster than non sleeved but not because of buoyancy, you'll almost always have one arm out of the water and the 2mm of neoprene on the arms isn't much. They'll be faster due to less drag from the armholes. How significant that is, is up to you but I wouldn't be looking at any more than 5 seconds per hundred. That is significant to a lot of people though.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buying Advice for Ex-Swimmer [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1 on Fit. With that in mind, the quality of the rubber grade makes a HUGE difference in fit, as the best grades have significantly more stretch. The liner material and how the seams are constructed, and pattern cut also effect this.
Personally, I think ROKA, which is a company founded by a couple of top D1 swimmers, have done the best job of making suits that fit a large range of swimmers really well. They also have fantastic customer service and a super easy return policy, making it hassle free to test out suits and return anything that does not work. Their “Pro” level and up have the most stretch of any suits I have dried, making it possible to have a tight fit without feeling constricted.
Quote Reply