Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread)
Quote | Reply
As the title suggests, this one is for swim workouts...
I ran 7.26 miles in 65 min (most of it holding 8:57s) and lifted. No swim.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jan 1, 23 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the pool tomorrow for a quick 1,000-1,500M workout. Looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [thin_concrete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the pool tomorrow after a week (of being sick) off. Steve Mckenna just posted some drills on YT so I'm gonna give those a go as a warm up. If anyone else has drills they really like please let me know. I'm planning on swimming 5 days a week all of January so let's see how that goes. I've stolen a bunch of the sets from old threads and I'm looking forward to stealing more so please share them!
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No swimming for probably 2-3 weeks for me following Achilles surgery. Looking forward to getting back to the pool when I can. The only problem is my normal pool doesn’t have a real shallow entry point and I’m not supposed to use a ladder. Got to check out a few other pools in the area for a few months. I’m usually a 2-3 day a week guy averaging 2200-2500 per session. Since I won’t be able to run for awhile, I’ll be swimming 5 days and biking 3-4 days.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
As the title suggests, this one is for swim workouts...
I ran 7.26 miles in 65 min (most of it holding 8:57s) and lifted. No swim.

15 miles a little over MP overall at 6:25-6:15 for 10 then closing at goal Boston pace of sub-6 for 5.

As for the swim, going to do some Zen8 training tonight after the baby is asleep and try to get some speed, any speed, in the water too before summer. I find it useful to work on my catch, not breaking my wrists and keeping my elbow pointed where it belongs. Hopefully actually in real water tomorrow for some 200s and 400s just to get my feel for the water back after too long of an off-season break.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubt I’ll ever do another Ironman again, but I like knowing I can always do the swim distance. Did 4200 in about 1:12 in a 25 yard pool, which meant lots and lots of poorly executed flip turns. Happy New Year!
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [jeepguy2358] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No swimming for probably 2-3 weeks for me following Achilles surgery. Looking forward to getting back to the pool when I can. The only problem is my normal pool doesn’t have a real shallow entry point and I’m not supposed to use a ladder

some ideas:
one footed jump or dive in, from the foot not surgically repaired
sit your tush down on the side of the pool and get in that way

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday: 1225 yd swim, fartlek 7.33 mi in 65 min

I haven’t split slower than a 1:12 for a 100 all year ;)

6 x 75 on 1:10
50 kick
100 swim 1:12
50 kick
10 x 50 on :50
25 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
No swimming for probably 2-3 weeks for me following Achilles surgery. Looking forward to getting back to the pool when I can. The only problem is my normal pool doesn’t have a real shallow entry point and I’m not supposed to use a ladder

some ideas:
one footed jump or dive in, from the foot not surgically repaired
sit your tush down on the side of the pool and get in that way

Sorry, I should have clarified that I need it for getting out. I might be able to use the shallower end to get up on my butt and figure it out from there. I’d really like to try some aqua jogging to help my run fitness too so I need to figure it out!

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [jeepguy2358] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sorry, I should have clarified that I need it for getting out. I might be able to use the shallower end to get up on my butt and figure it out from there. I’d really like to try some aqua jogging to help my run fitness too so I need to figure it out!

you can use your arms to pull yourself up on the side, put one leg between your hands, stand up on that leg. Even easier if your pool has starting blocks - you can pull yourself up a bit w the backstroke start bar
find some footage of divers getting out of the pool, I am sure there are some who don't use the ladder.
This is a very possible thing to do.

Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [thin_concrete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thin_concrete wrote:
I am in the pool tomorrow for a quick 1,000-1,500M workout. Looking forward to it.

I split the difference and did 1,250M. Opened with a 650 and then did drills the rest of the time. Feels good to get a good pool workout in. Lord knows they don’t always happen each time I go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's (1/2) masters main set:

20x100s on 1:40 as 4x(ez, mild, mod, fast, pull); fast 100s in 1:15

23x50s on 1:00 as 6x(ez, mod, fast, kick); fast 50s in 35s...we didn't have to kick on the sixth round to make it twenty three 50s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is simply beaching yourself face down and chest first on the side of the pool - and then use the method described to climb up. Felt like doing that today

Long course

1k easy

4-3-2-100 short rest swim
200 easy

Set 2 Grant Hackett set
40x50 as
16x50 on 45 every 4th fast
12x50 on 50 every 3rd fast
8x50 on 55 every second fast
4x50 on 1 fast

Set 3 10x100 pull
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I have not participated much in these. Swim training was all over the place for the last 4 months of the year. Was never able to get into a good routine, due to back injury, a cortisone shot, work, work travel, trying to get enough basic fitness to cover course at St. George 70.3 and then more work. I am hoping to get into a solid routine this winter now.

Today, I had a solid 2 hrs swim in the long course pool....basically did 50m stroke or kick up one side and free coming back for 2 hrs on decent rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry you were injured.

Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3225 yd swim, hip exercises, serratus pushups

2 x (500 swim, 50 kick) 7:18, 6:59
5 x (100 swim, 50 kick) 1:16, 15, 14, 14, 15
200 easy
50 kick
5 x (100 swim, 50 kick) 1:15, 15, 15, 16, 15
300 swim
125 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for these swim threads. I’m a speed-challenged swimmer who does two to three masters swims per week, here for inspiration and motivation. My masters swim team is doing its annual Polar Bear Challenge, which in normal years is swimming every weekday in January, but this year, it’s January-February.

I have very little speed, about 1:53 on a good day SCY, and 2:07 for LCM. I swam 98 miles in 2022, and did 5K and 6K workouts on my team’s 10K challenge days, so I have a lot of room to improve endurance as well.

So I’ll hang out here for two months and hope to show some improvement by the end of February. Everybody says the key to swimming well is swimming more, so let’s see.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
short one yesterday, was out of the pool a little over a week. over did it on NYE, plus I've done something to my back/hip flexors that has been causing tightness in my back which shows up in swimming and flip turns. Just trying to get loose and comfortable in the water.

2x[200 swim, 4x50 drill]
10x100 cruise on 1:25
4x50 drill

2000scy

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCY
600 WU
8x50 @ :50
400 IM
400 breathe by 25 3,5,3,7
400 Pull/paddles

3000 yards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200 easy
100 pull
200 breathe 3/7
4x50 broken arrow drill down/freestyle back
100 moderate

2x50 6ks
100 moderate
100 build
100 moderate
2x50 strong
2x400 strong (did one due to time constraint)

200 choice easy

2300 (1900 for me)

Reaaaaallllllllly slow adult-onset swimmer working on technique = lots of drills. So far good results! After 2 months my (yes, quite abysmal) prior steady "speed" of 2:40/100y is down to 2:20, now regularly breaking 1:59/100.
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [yentna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy moly 40 seconds in 2 months. Well done

5k long course just getting some yardage in

16x300

4 on 430
4 on 430, 420,410,4
2 as Im
2 as desc each 100
2 x 1 swim on 430, 1 paddles on 415

200 easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1500 easy continuous yards before work yesterday. My normal pool was closed which gave me a smaller window.

AM today, 3300 yards squad style swim with buddies

PM today, 3200 yards recovery
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [Sean Hylton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started Masters yesterday for the first time, got 3300 done of the 4k workout.

M-W-F with Masters. Slow and steady but looking to improve.

Have to say, although I was 3x week alone, I worked harder yesterday than a weeks worth alone!
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you sort your back out Adrian, nothing worse when it goes awry. So local pool opened after being closed since early dec, and I got my gills wet again!! Felt really good, even though the temp was 86/87. New fresh water, new lane lines and hardly anyone there. Think all the push ups I have been doing daily helped me not feel too weak, so perhaps not the usual month to make it back to where I left off:

3x(3x100@1;40/100IM kick@2;10/100bakc@2;10/100breast@2;10)swims(1;28/26/25)buoys(1;23/22/21)pulls(1;17/16/14)back(1;35/33/31)breast(1;37/36/32)
2x(200p@3;00/100IM kick@2;30) pulls(2;37/33) kicks(1;58/55) 50 fly-barley got arms out of water(38)
2450SCY in 49 minutes

Glad I could join back up with all you fishes, looks like a whole bunch of newbies here now too. Did Tiger do some sort of membership drive? (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Wet January 2023 (Swim thread, not drinking thread) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got in 3600 SCY in 65 minutes
1000S, 200IM K
12x100 IM stroke on 1:45 (1:21-1:40)
4x50 IM K on 1:15
Pull set on 1:30/100 base: (1x200, 2x150, 3x100, 4x50)

Thinking about 1 hour swim in 2 weeks. Just found out about it, so haven’t trained for it. Just base of about 10 to 11K SCY/week for last 3 to 4 months.
Quote Reply

Prev Next