Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Well hello there strangers of the triathlon internet....Cobbling together advice from people who don't know me to weigh alongside informal coaching.
Quote | Reply
Morning, ST, from NYC, where my recovering-from-a-stomach-bug pair of children (8 and 5) are physically bound to their iPads and we've all been up since 5. Not a complaint; a simple fact. I'm a morning person, which comes in handy for this tri business, to which just about a year ago I decided to jump in. My background: hubs and I are both early 40s, both take our fitness and health seriously primarily as sanity, secondarily vanity. He's a "monathlete" (his own word), a dedicated road cyclist training for a bucket-list endurance event. I'm a licensed massage therapist for 23 years, a Pilates teacher for almost 17, a yoga teacher for 13, and am certified as a personal trainer by NASM and ACSM. I lift heavy stuff, and break a sweat minimum 5 times a week, usually more like 9-10x. As I mentioned, about a year ago, apparently I was feeling restless, so I bought a USAT membership and signed up for three tri events over the summer- a sprint Memorial Day weekend, and Olympic distance mid-July, and a 70.3 in late August. I survived all 3 and learned a LOT. By any appraisal, I am slow AF, and I will not ever be middle or front of the pack athlete. I think though that I do have the capacity to move to the middle of the back, or maybe even the front third.

Prior to training for tri, I only knew how to swim so as not to drown, and hadn't ridden a bike in 11 years, nor had I ever clipped in, and while I have run 17 standalone half marathons and 4 standalone full M, my half PR was nine years ago, and it was fast for ME, and a blind drunk casual jog for most of you ST posters.

So my learning curve was STEEEEEEEEP. Oh, and I have a litany of injuries head to toe, none of which limit me in any significant way on a regular basis (this means I am better moving, so I don't stop!), but that are undeniably there.

My 70.3 was a massive learning experience. It was not a calm swim. I stayed calm, but I also sidestroked it. (I was far back enough that my sidestroke had ZERO imact on any fellow athletes.) Made it in under the cutoff by...ELEVEN minutes.

Bike, for having only done a few longer rides (combine a swiss cheese training schedule with an endurance athlete partner, a phobia of riding on NYC streets that I am still working on!!!!, and for having learned to eat and drink while riding only weeks before) was actually a moderate success. Jesus, no it wasn't fast. My goal was 3.5 hr. I did it in 3:26. I did not physically push myself. (Learning experience, remember?)

The run- haha it was an amble. I know I can shave 40 minutes off of it because I barely ran.

Transitions were an eternity. Total time 7:53:03.

Now: I want to do a 70.3 in under 7 hours, partly for it's own sake as a goal and MOSTLY because I want to qualify for SOS because I haven't ceased being restless and that brunch at Mohonk would be a thousand times more rewarding after a grueling multistage endurance event.

I think most of you know about SOS...It's almost an IM of swimming dividend among three lake swims, just about 19 miles of running (four runs) and the start is a 30 mile bike ride that is about 1/3 of genuine climbing.

I probs won't even make it in via the 3 minute fill-up time, but in case I do, and pay the #&%@^#%* (worth it) registration fee, what sayeth ST about the best focus in training?

I am thinking about Galveston 70.3 April 5 2020 (Texas is my home state). Fast, flat, might be humid (ugh my least favorite, but I do well with electrolytes and fluids and I train fasted when I work out in the morning, which is at least 50% of the time)

I'm about 75% compliant with training, and I do put in the effort, sometimes I have to rearrange days blah blah blah children blah blah blah NYC, blah blah blah I work at home, blah blah blah winter is coming. I swim in a pool (Y), and try to swim 3-4 times a week (25y pool) mostly working on 100-400y sets at varying tempos and TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE, workouts are 2000-3000y. I've got my bike (real bike) set in to hubs' old Kinetic trainer, and my Peloton (FAKE BIKE!) right next to it. I run unless it's actually blowing snow, kind of hate but do value the treadmill, and know that I am going to have to continue to learn being uncomfortable.

Go ahead, ST, make my day...

(I am home for the second day with kids who have been sick. Seriously, do your worst, or best, and any of it will be an improvement)
Quote Reply
Re: Well hello there strangers of the triathlon internet....Cobbling together advice from people who don't know me to weigh alongside informal coaching. [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome! This forum has a lot of knowledge, and sass, so I’m sure the veterans will chime in with useful information.

I would suggest you review your training log (if you still have it) from your previous triathlon season to see what you did. This will enlighten you as to what worked and what didn’t work.

Be honest about how much time you have to train so that you can formulate the best plan. Don’t oversell or undersell your time. I have young kids as well. They used to sleep in until 8-9 on the weekend. That allowed me to get in 3-4 hours before anyone was awake. Now, they’re up at 6 so I’ve had to reschedule some of my training hours.

Bike fitness is very important (duh). Though i think a lot of Triathletes mentally ascribe to this fact, yet a lot do not train as if they believe it. A lot of bad runs are because of poor bike fitness, not poor run fitness.

Good luck on your journey! I hope you get that PR!
Quote Reply
Re: Well hello there strangers of the triathlon internet....Cobbling together advice from people who don't know me to weigh alongside informal coaching. [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Parkland, yes, been a fly on the wall in here (lurker? Whatever the term) for about a year. Seen the knowledge, seen the sass...Anywho, yes, my hunch is that bike fitness is really going to pay off for 70.3 training, and a balanced focus, with enough recovery in between brick style days, will pay off for SOS...Hear you about over/underselling time training. The hubs will mostly be on his trainer as we head in to the less-kind weather months so that means my mornings will be swim or run, because I am very flexible as to when I can ride in the Kinetic. Essentially I am seeking enough bike fitness so that getting off the bike and running is "like nothing to it, easy breezy".... Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Well hello there strangers of the triathlon internet....Cobbling together advice from people who don't know me to weigh alongside informal coaching. [YoMoGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../Ftp_180_P7069670-3/

This thread actually has some really good information in it, especially post #52 by Tom_Hampton on page 3. Good breakdown of splitting up workouts and structure.

I actually bookmarked it to return to when I’m planning my next build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many hours of each discipline did you generally do per week?

Did you swim with a master's group or have a swim coach?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Well hello there strangers of the triathlon internet....Cobbling together advice from people who don't know me to weigh alongside informal coaching. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for asking:

Running 2-3 hours
Cycling 4-6 hours
Swimming 3-4 hours
Pilates session 1 hour
Weight training 1.5-2 hours

Not that this contributes in any way to fitness gains, but baseline I walk 3-5 miles a day.

The masters' swim very close to me unfortunately meets at an impossible time (7-8:30a Mon-Friday)- impossible for parent of school age children with a partner who does NOT have that time available very often----great for a ton of people, for sure, just not me. I do have a swim coach who prescribes the swim workouts. I have two great friends who are tri coaches, and a brilliant cycling skills coach. Oh and a know it all roadie gearhead husband :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YoMoGo wrote:
Thanks for asking:

Running 2-3 hours
Cycling 4-6 hours
Swimming 3-4 hours
Pilates session 1 hour
Weight training 1.5-2 hours

Not that this contributes in any way to fitness gains, but baseline I walk 3-5 miles a day.

The masters' swim very close to me unfortunately meets at an impossible time (7-8:30a Mon-Friday)- impossible for parent of school age children with a partner who does NOT have that time available very often----great for a ton of people, for sure, just not me. I do have a swim coach who prescribes the swim workouts. I have two great friends who are tri coaches, and a brilliant cycling skills coach. Oh and a know it all roadie gearhead husband :)

With that much training you should be sub 5 for a 70.3. My guess is you need to increase the intensity of your workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Well hello there strangers of the triathlon internet....Cobbling together advice from people who don't know me to weigh alongside informal coaching. [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B. McMaster- I don't know if that's quite right? My fastest half marathon, standalone, was at a 10:15 pace- but that was 10 years ago. My tempo pace for swimming is not below about 2:12/100y. My FTP (done indoors) is about 190. I'm 5'8.5", 162lbs, about at 20% body fat (DEXA scan, calipers 19%, impedence machine at the gym 17%).

I know I can get under 7- but you do know I started 9 months ago the actual training. Oh sure, the vision quest began a year ago. I mean right now I think my HALF IM swim would be most of you IM'ers IM swim.... And certainly I can improve my run speed/endurance. I don't totally disagree with you...Buuuuuuut...

Do you actually genuinely think I could shave more than 2 hours off a 70.3. I'm not being a smartass here. And it's not that I don't have confidence/dedication...but seriously? Use off season to drop weight, and do only intervals at moderate to high intensity, shorter workouts, build speed, more sprints? Is the answer intensity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read your 1'st paragraph and it reads like some-one who is in awesome shape and has been for many years. Given that triathlon is just exercise that would bode very well to become a "triathlete". So some-one in great shape "focusing" on s/b/r for 10+ hours a week for what will be a year and a half or so should be able to do pretty well.

You also mentioned a swim coach and tri coach.

Perhaps my read of your 1'st paragraph was wrong and then I agree 5 hours is not realistic.

FWIW - A friend of mine decided to do a 70.3 3 months before the race. It was his 1'st ever triathlon (never swam until that 3 month window) and went 4:4X. He came from a running background but never more than 13.1.
Quote Reply
Re: Well hello there strangers of the triathlon internet....Cobbling together advice from people who don't know me to weigh alongside informal coaching. [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, thank you, I think that's super optimistic and also, I like your style! I am in great shape as compared to general population, true. Reading so many posts from people who think they are slow but who alongside me are BLAZINGLY fast makes it seem like I have SO MUCH WORK TO DO..and I think it's that I've got a pretty great base for long slow distance- I'll just go and go and go and like a sedated jackrabbit....but I have not really genuinely PUSHED myself. That Maine bike ride was respectable for a first effort (and not terrible considering I rode only ONCE the 2 weeks prior because my hip WAS bothering me) but I think that shaving time off it is very possible, if I am willing to be less comfortable for longer.

So maybe a middle ground- I have room for more improvement than I thought- like maybe a 6:30-6:45 70.3? And in another year, 6....see where it goes?
Quote Reply