Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weird Trainerroad/Vector3/Wahoo question
Quote | Reply
I have a strange questions for the group - I am using Trainerroad for my indoor workouts and I decided to start testing some things. I started recording my power data from my Garmin V3's on my head unit and then comparing them at the end of every ride with Trainer Road and my Wahoo (Kicker) recording its on data.

I started to notice a variance between the two with the Wahoo being higher so what I did was change the Trainerroad settings so that it displays the V3 pedals on the screen but still locks into the Wahoo power and keeps that part consistent.

What I found was at the beginning of the ride the power difference is roughly -7 watts (V3 being lower) and about 30 mins later around -5 watts and then at around 1hr-1:05 it is 0 difference and holds that until 1hr30 but I have not ridden longer yet.

What would be the cause of this you think? Is this a series of the wahoo heating up and the brake getting more "grabby"? I don't have a fan on the wahoo and it is not subjected to any light.

I have calibrated the wahoo on both the app and trainer road, the same with the V3's and I have now tried it both on PC via ANT+ and iOS via Bluetooth and the results are fairly consistent. I also ride in the little ring and fairly high up on the cassette for low "drum" speed.

Thanks everyone for any input, any advice on this and how to correlate this over onto the road when I go outside is a great help!
Last edited by: teddygram: Mar 9, 19 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Trainerroad/Vector3/Wahoo question [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you select the option to control your kickr with ant+ power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Trainerroad/Vector3/Wahoo question [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the response!

I did try the power match on one ride but it was one of the really short high power intervals and the trainer felt all over the place and not smooth so I deactivated the feature. I'm not really concerned about the power not "matching" for-say but more concerned that as the time goes on I am using two separate power devices and one shows that every 30 mins or so that the the other is getting more and more resistance. The ride today was very consistent for testing (Cumberland on TR).

I was just curious if this is normal or how to avoid it or just advice in general - I could try the powermatch again but like I said when I tried it it just didn't feel very smooth to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird Trainerroad/Vector3/Wahoo question [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not your same setup, but it is at least another data point.

I have a 2017 KICKR, recently got a set of Assioma pedals. I did a workout with TrainerRoad capturing power from the KICKR and my Garmin 520 capturing pedal power. I used the lap button on the 520 to match every TR segment.

I think my overall variance between the two was 0.9%. And the worst segment variance was like 1.5%.

I had a pair of P1 pedals before, but I never did the detail compare. It feels the same with power match, so if there was a difference, it was minor.
Quote Reply