Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight loss (sweat)
Quote | Reply
Coming into that time of year where I'm constantly cramping at nights.
I sometimes lose circa 2-3kg on a 10-15km run. I try to hydrate before runs and return to pre-run weight with fluids within 1/2 an hour of finishing, but these fluids seem to drain through me and leave me with night time cramps.
Any recommendations for replacing fluid, or otherwise?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss (sweat) [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you done a sweat test? In addition to fluids you should be looking to replace most of the sodium you lose in order to retain those fluids. I lose the same amount of weight as you do (almost 5 pounds/hr in temps near 90 degrees F) and I will take along 16-24 oz of water with me and salt pills for up to 1,000mg/hr. If my run is longer (up to 2hrs) I'll stop and fill back up at a water fountain or buy a bottle from a gas station or street vendor.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: your replacement within 1/2 hour, I don't think bodies can process/hold that much liquid in such a short time frame...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned you need to hydrate throughout when in hot/humid conditions. Try and hit a water fountain every 10-15 minutes. If this means running loops by a water fountain, do it. Also as mentioned, if you're not replacing electrolytes, dumping more water in is just going to further dilute your electrolytes. Your post run hydration should include some NUUN or equivalent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice already given here so no need to repeat it. I will just reiterate that its very important to drink often, and use electrolyte water something like Pedialyte, which arguably hydrates faster than most any other liquid drink or mix on the market. It's only disadvantage is cost.

Consider eating watermelon after dinner or before bed, and be sure to sprinkle well with lite salt (Mortons is a good brand). Eat till you feel good and full. Cramps may not be due to hydration but its never a bad idea to be well hydrated in hot environments like summer in the south. If you still get cramps after trying this a week or so, then consider a message after your workouts. That may, or may not help.
Last edited by: NealH: Jun 20, 18 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss (sweat) [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
Good advice already given here so no need to repeat it. I will just reiterate that its very important to drink often, and use electrolyte water something like Pedialyte, which arguably hydrates faster than most any other liquid drink or mix on the market. It's only disadvantage is cost.

Consider eating watermelon after dinner or before bed, and be sure to sprinkle well with lite salt (Mortons is a good brand). Eat till you feel good and full. Cramps may not be due to hydration but its never a bad idea to be well hydrated in hot environments like summer in the south. If you still get cramps after trying this a week or so, then consider a message after your workouts. That may, or may not help.

I agree that the cramps may not be (probably aren't) related to the hydration. Cramps are most directly associated with abnormal fatigue. I typically get cramps when I introduce a new workout to my routine...especially when I'm increasing my long-run or I'm adding bike threshold work...anything above 90%FTP. Such new workouts generally take about 3 weeks for my muscles to become accustomed to, after which I no longer have a risk of cramps (until I introduce something else).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LukeIzard wrote:
Coming into that time of year where I'm constantly cramping at nights.
I sometimes lose circa 2-3kg on a 10-15km run. I try to hydrate before runs and return to pre-run weight with fluids within 1/2 an hour of finishing, but these fluids seem to drain through me and leave me with night time cramps.
Any recommendations for replacing fluid, or otherwise?

As others said, I would make sure you are consuming some electrolytes with the fluid. I would also be curious if you ever get normal routine blood work and what your magnesium levels are?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply