Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight lifting TSS
Quote | Reply
In the most recent version of the cyclist training bible Friel discusses a possible method for estimating TSS for weight lifting, based on either RPE or total tonnage lifted. He also points out that, with a future device that attaches to a barbell with an accelerometer to measure speed and range of motion, a better way to calculate TSS could be developed. These devices now exist (for example, thisisbeast, trainwishpush, and others) at prices comparable to running and cycling power meters, so I'm just curious if anyone has come up with a way to take the output of these devices and calculate or estimate a TSS based on them.
Last edited by: geotechjohn: Oct 6, 20 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [geotechjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just usually add about 100 TSS every time I go to the gym, It boosts my self confidence.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So one TSS per kg bicep curled per rep should do it, right? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total tonnage lifted seems like an odd metric to me since I don't think the training load/stress/damage/stimulus etc. from lifting would necessarily be indicated by that. For example, for someone who has the strength to do 2x500 lbs, 5x200 lbs or 20x50 lbs are pretty trivial (all three are 1000 total pounds lifted).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geotechjohn wrote:
So one TSS per kg bicep curled per rep should do it, right? ;)
That depends on my race results the previous week.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [rosshm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For reference, the suggestions in the book are RPE for the weight lifting session * 10 = TSS, or (weight lifted / 2000 ) * 10 = TSS.

But with the devices available to measure acceleration / speed (and thus power / force) surely something better could be developed?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
I just usually add about 100 TSS every time I go to the gym, It boosts my self confidence.

200 for CrossFit. Extra 50 for every selfie posted to social media.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Plews, you need 1000 TSS a week to finish at the top of an age group at Ironman, so this means 4 crossfit session + 4 insta selfies per week = Ironman podium? The math checks out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 10 scales it relative to whatever else is included in the TSS (cycling training, presumably) but you would get the same contribution to TSS from a workout lifting X total lbs regardless of how heavy the reps were. Doesn't seem right to me since a 5x400-lb squat is much harder than a 20x100-lb squat, with the latter being trivial for someone who can do 5x400.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geotechjohn wrote:
For reference, the suggestions in the book are RPE for the weight lifting session * 10 = TSS, or (weight lifted / 2000 ) * 10 = TSS.

But with the devices available to measure acceleration / speed (and thus power / force) surely something better could be developed?

I think one major challenge is that TSS is designed to mostly consider steady-state efforts, whereas weight-lifting (unless in large sets of low-load reps**) consists of episodic exertion at power levels much above what's aerobically sustainable. In some cases, little power is exerted but large forces are (the limiting case being isometric exercises where there is no motion and thus no power). Viewing weightlifting through a mean-power lens would miss this, but it would be captured well if you had data on displacement of weights at sub-second time scales -- you might see power varying between 1000+ W and 0 repeatedly for a set of squats, for instance. Ideally, the TSS for this would capture that the "normalized power" was wayyy above the simple time-average power.

** for bodyweight exercises, I thought about this a bit some time ago. Some musings below:

general bodyweight lifting through a power lens:
(numbers specific to me; I'm 5'11" 160 lb so rescale appropriately!)

power = (m*g*dz)*f
m = body mass, kg
g = gravitational acceleration, 9.81 m/s^2
dz = change in *center of mass* (COM) height in the power phase of one rep, m
f = frequency of reps, 1/s

Pushups: dz ~ upper arm length is ~0.3 m, vertical displacement of COM is probably about 0.6 times this or ~0.18 m because COM is around top of hip bones
->power = 130.5*f ~65 W for 0.5 pushups/second (30/minute)

Pullups: dz ~ 2 times upper arm length ~0.6 m
->power = 435*f ~72.5 W for 1 pullup/(6 seconds) (10/minute) or 43.5 W for 1/(10 s)

Squats: dz ~ upper leg length is ~0.6 m, COM displaced less than this because the lower leg is vertically displaced little, and the upper leg less than the upper body, so say 0.5 m
-> power = 363*f ~ 180 W for 0.5/s (30/min) or 240 W for 0.67/s (40/min)

So, clear from this why pullups are *hard* and their frequency should be low (or time per rep long) if they are being done to improve aerobic power output from back muscles.

Lunges probably displace the COM a similar amount vertically to squats (maybe slightly more since one leg drops a lot, but are difficult to do as quickly just from a form standpoint -- so perhaps power ~400*f but f might be 1/(3 s) so power ~133 W which is not that taxing for me on a leg-dominant motion using big muscles.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Fuller wrote:

200 for CrossFit. Extra 50 for every selfie posted to social media.

Thanks! I will now download the instagram collage app! So much TSS in one post, I should go for the 50/50/50

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume Friel doesn't advocate for adding this TSS number to your other TSS numbers? For example, your cycling TSS?

Because that would seem kind of nuts to me. Different energy systems. I'm not even totally sure about adding together your bike and run TSS, in terms of how meaningful it is. I think it was Dr Coggan himself who advised against combining TSS and rTSS into a single metric. Isn't it common practice to plot CTL, ATL and TSB separately for the different disciplines?

What do you want to do with the "weights" TSS number, out of interest?

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the book he says both methods for estimating TSS for weight lifting are a bit kludgy and isn't overly supportive of using them. That being said in both the cycling book and the triathlon book he appears to combine the TSS and distribute the TSS between the sports and weight lifting (he's got a table where he gives a breakdown of annual TSS values, distributing that into TSS / week in different phases, and then to work out the sport-specific TSS values says to subtract the TSS for weight lifting from the weekly TSS before distributing the remaining TSS between the three sports, or one sport in the case of cycling). I was mostly thinking to use it in that sense.

I'm not an expert in TSS, but presumably weight lifting is either entirely neuromuscular or a combination of neuromuscular and anaerobic glycolysis, similar to sprints or huge 1-2 minute efforts on the bike - does the TSS value not account for greater training load from these types of efforts?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I assume Friel doesn't advocate for adding this TSS number to your other TSS numbers? For example, your cycling TSS?

Because that would seem kind of nuts to me. Different energy systems. I'm not even totally sure about adding together your bike and run TSS, in terms of how meaningful it is. I think it was Dr Coggan himself who advised against combining TSS and rTSS into a single metric. Isn't it common practice to plot CTL, ATL and TSB separately for the different disciplines?

What do you want to do with the "weights" TSS number, out of interest?

Cheers, Rich.

I think TSS is relevant to an extent. Its all about your bodies resources. When you lift weight you are causing trauma to your body and it then need to go repair it to recover and get stronger. That effort will take away from the recovery of your aerobic training. I am curious myself how much it translates.

I was a bodybuilder prior to tri and slowly have spent less and less time in the gym. Last year I was able to train pretty consistently up to 25hr/week while only doing moderate strength work 2-3hrs/week without getting overtrained. This year with no races I have been determined to try and crack the 1000lb club (Between squat/DL/Bench) and I am lifting pretty hard 4-5hrs/week. If I go above 16hr/week right now, I start to show signs of overtraining.

Its possible there are other factors and presently trying to figure them out because I am not a fan of trading 9hrs of tri training for 2hrs of strength work so hoping to find another kink in my plan but could just be the lifting.
Last edited by: T2LV: Oct 6, 20 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
geotechjohn wrote:

I think one major challenge is that TSS is designed to mostly consider steady-state efforts, whereas weight-lifting (unless in large sets of low-load reps**) consists of episodic exertion at power levels much above what's aerobically sustainable. In some cases, little power is exerted but large forces are (the limiting case being isometric exercises where there is no motion and thus no power). Viewing weightlifting through a mean-power lens would miss this, but it would be captured well if you had data on displacement of weights at sub-second time scales -- you might see power varying between 1000+ W and 0 repeatedly for a set of squats, for instance. Ideally, the TSS for this would capture that the "normalized power" was wayyy above the simple time-average power.

** for bodyweight exercises, I thought about this a bit some time ago. Some musings below:

power = (m*g*dz)*f
m = body mass, kg

Pushups: dz ~ upper arm length is ~0.3 m, vertical displacement of COM is probably about 0.6 times this or ~0.18 m because COM is around top of hip bones

->power = 435*f ~72.5 W for 1 pullup/(6 seconds) (10/minute) or 43.5 W for 1/(10 s)

Squats: dz ~ upper leg length is ~0.6 m, COM displaced less than this because the lower leg is vertically displaced little, and the upper leg less than the upper body, so say 0.5 m

So, clear from this why pullups are *hard* and their frequency should be low (or time per rep long) if they are being done to improve aerobic power output from back muscles.

Lunges probably displace the COM a similar amount vertically to squats (maybe slightly more since one leg drops a lot, but are difficult to do as quickly just from a form standpoint -- so perhaps power ~400*f but f might be 1/(3 s) so power ~133 W which is not that taxing for me on a leg-dominant motion using big muscles.

Ummm yeah go with......What this ^^^^^ math guy said
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
twcronin wrote:
geotechjohn wrote:

power = (m*g*dz)*f
m = body mass, kg

Ummm yeah go with......What this ^^^^^ math guy said

How many extra beers does that get me? Otherwise, I don't need all that math cluttering up my already-jumbled brain

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deja vu...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6195610#p6195610

In short....no.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 7, 20 13:41
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [T2LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://liftvault.com/resources/inol-calculator-tool/

I found this which is interesting but obviously it doesn't really fit in with TSS at all
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, we could do the math on that too ;)

A problem with turning a "total weight lifted" metric into a metric like TSS is that it doesn't account for the range of motion over which the weight is moved, and thus doesn't tell you how much work you did.

But... if we assume that lifting is dominated by upper-arm extension (as with presses, probably an underestimate if you include lower-body work), then the distance lifted is roughly the upper arm length, which google tells me averages 14.88 inches for men. So a ton (2000 lb = 909 kg) lifted 14.88 inches (0.38 m) would be about 3.4 kJ of work done against gravity (2000/2.2 kg * 9.81 m/s^2 * 0.38 m). If we're as efficient lifting as cycling, then that would be about 3.4 kcal burned. With the average beer being 150 kcal, you'd need to lift about 44 tons of iron to earn a beer.

Easier to earn that beer by biking at 250 W for 10 minutes IMO!
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:

Yeah, I don't use a PM

I just use a standardized point system adapted from the Big Kahuna Challenge

1 Mile run = 1 Beer
4 Mile Bike = 1 Beer

Other than that "Did you swim today? Yes? you get ONE beer" "Did you do weights today? Yes? You get ONE Beer"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
twcronin wrote:

Yeah, I don't use a PM

1 Mile run = 1 Beer
4 Mile Bike = 1 Beer

Other than that "Did you swim today? Yes? you get ONE beer" "Did you do weights today? Yes? You get ONE Beer"

Given that you're in the 4 dozen and <something> club like me, I'd be derating that by about 1/2. Unless I skipped a meal in order to have more beer...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting TSS [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
RandMart wrote:
twcronin wrote:

Yeah, I don't use a PM

1 Mile run = 1 Beer
4 Mile Bike = 1 Beer

Given that you're in the 4 dozen and <something> club like me, I'd be derating that by about 1/2. Unless I skipped a meal in order to have more beer...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah, running a 10K might earn me six, but no way am I taking them all*

Besides, using the 1 Mile run = 100 Calories formula, that would only be equal one NASCAR beer; the REAL ones are probably double that

* Which is how I've managed to avoid the "COVID-19 pounds" people are talking about, I guess; running more + drinking less per: my therapist

Last edited by: RandMart: Oct 8, 20 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
RandMart wrote:
twcronin wrote:

Yeah, I don't use a PM

1 Mile run = 1 Beer
4 Mile Bike = 1 Beer

Yeah, running a 10K might earn me six, but no way am I taking them all

Besides, using the 1 Mile run = 100 Calories formula, that would only be equal one NASCAR beer; the REAL ones are probably double that

And, an actual Pint of the stuff...even more than that.

Once upon a time I was a fairly serious homebrewer. It turns out you can gain a LOT of weight drinking homebrew when you have 25-30 gallons of the stuff in the walkin...which is not remotely low-cal @ close to 300 cal / pint.
Quote Reply