Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight lifting
Quote | Reply
I find it difficult to think that a lot of weight training would be beneficial to an endurance athlete. I come from almost 20 years of weight training and believe that muscle mass takes metabolic energy to sustain it, even when it (the muscle) is not in use. This would seem counter-productive to essence of aerobic exercise.
Moreover, for a 160 lb. athlete to do sets of 170 lb in the bench press seems a difficult feat. In my experience few people that use ONLY weight training as their preferred mode of exercise can do sets of bench presses with body weight!
Remember, you have over 600 muscles in your body. How many do you think you really exercise doing mostly cardiovascular activity (swim, bike, run)?
Having said that, I do believe adding weight training to your triathlon regimen will improve your overall fitness level, but may raise your times. It's difficult to do both very well, as I see them as counterproductive for seasoned athletes.
Quote Reply
In the interest of full disclosure ... [hgiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not pay this person to make this post.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Weight lifting [hgiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most triathletes discontinue weightlifting at they get into the race season, the exception being those of us over 40 year old. It's hard for older athletes to hold onto muscle mass without some strength exercise year round.
Quote Reply