Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight Training for Swim - Recommendations?
Quote | Reply
My goal for this winter is to develop my upper body for a faster swim. According to my swim coach, my form is good but my core and overall strength is weak. Since I do *zero* strength work today, I'm sure this is true!

I'm looking for a routine I can do a couple of times a week at the gym, supplemented by exercises I can do at home or on the road i.e with zero or minimal equipment.

I'm really looking for about 5-6 key exercises that will have the biggest impact on my swim performance.

Recommendations please!

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Training for Swim - Recommendations? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read this.

It’s mostly about basic strength training, basic movements. Swimming-specific movements are overrated, esp. for triathletes and masters swimmers who really arent doing all that much volume in the pool.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/...sprint-swimmers.html

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found lat pulldowns (or dumbbell pull overs) and pullups/chinups to be very helpful. Not sure if my form is unique, but those are the muscles that I seem to use the most when I swim. Core work also helps, although it's usually very low in priority for the gym crowd.

That said, strength and endurance training aren't 100% complementary, and I'd think the time would be better invested in the pool. I wouldn't approach it with the goal of becoming a bodybuilder, but something like P90X is a great workout for all around athleticism.
Last edited by: dpd3672: Sep 16, 19 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Training for Swim - Recommendations? [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are the muscles you should be using most.

Just to add to the discussion, my general approach in the weight room is that for every exercise I do, I also do its opposite. I don't get too hung up on a specific routine, more about reps. for most things, I aim for 3 sets of 12-15 reps. I don't like going heavier than that, as I think it increases my risk of injury with my gimpy knee and lower back.

eg, bench press & rows , lat pull downs & military press, crunches & back extensions, curls & tricep extensions.

Doesn't have to be the exact opposite, just something that works in the other direction.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can check out Volt Athletics. They have a swim specific program. It’s solid.

Hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:
My goal for this winter is to develop my upper body for a faster swim. According to my swim coach, my form is good but my core and overall strength is weak. Since I do *zero* strength work today, I'm sure this is true!

I'm looking for a routine I can do a couple of times a week at the gym, supplemented by exercises I can do at home or on the road i.e with zero or minimal equipment.

I'm really looking for about 5-6 key exercises that will have the biggest impact on my swim performance.

Recommendations please!

Thanks.

The single best swim strength exercise I have done is freestyle band swimming (cloth band around the ankles) in the pool. Especially if you have fairly low bodyfat, that's the one exercise I would recommend.

My exercise philosophy is prehabilitation for my gym exercises - basically, exercise to prevent injury. I use rubber bands for most of the strength work I do in the gym - internal and external rotators help keep the shoulder healthy. Also, I like the dumbell pushup / one arm row complex - basically do a pushup holding dumbells and row at the top. It works your chest and back, of course, but also requires a strong core to maintain form. Finally, I like Stretchcordz. They're not for everyone, but I feel like the resistance transfers well.

You can take bands with you fairly easily if you travel, and most hotel gyms have dumbells.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can never go wrong with body weight exercises. Push ups, pull ups, planks, chin ups, even jump rope. Way less risk of injury and you’re hitting most major muscle groups. It’s not fancy, but it’s effective.
Quote Reply