Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight Training Alternatives
Quote | Reply
Agreed: resistance training works. The problem I run into is that the mornings are the least "competitive" times to use my rec center, but those are also the best times - absolutely - for my winter run/bike training. (I don't swim.) That leaves the afternoons, but after 5:00 PM the weight room is impossible due to the hordes. Since I don't have a 9 day week I keep looking for alternatives.

Does anyone have experience with low-tech at-home resistance training? Lunges in lieu of a squat press machine, for example?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Training Alternatives [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah lunges are pretty good---but probably the best weights alternative is hill training on both the run and the bike. I have read that hill training should be substituted for weights cause hill work replicates the strain placed on your joints/muscles much more than lifting weights in a gym. I usually lift, but this winter my coach has me doing a lot of hillwork, and im feeling much stronger on the hills doing hillwork than lifting in the gym and training on the flats and then going to a race where theres significant hills. To me, it makes sense, I guess one of the issues is why are you lifting, what are you hoping to accomplish? If its sport specific strength, hills are perfect. Now if you dont have any hills where you live....low cadence on your bike with a heavy gear (its the same as hillclimbing on the bike cause your relation to the bike doesnt change, gravity just slows you down). Running stadiums/steps can build leg strength pretty well. Jump squats are awesome, as an exrower we used to do hundreds of these a day. And if youre looking for the explosive leg power that squats gives you, try jumpsquats. If anyone needs an explanation just ask.

others might have some other ideas for you.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first post and I feel like I should preface it by saying that while I am an aspiring triathlete, to date I am little more than a mediocre runner.

Having said that, I will add that I've had some good experience strength training and so thought I may be able to add to the discussion.

I'm not affiliated with him in any way, but Pavel Tsatsouline has some books and videos out along with a very active discussion group at www.dragondoor.com that focuses on all manner of strenght training.

Something he's really into that's not too well known is kettlebell lifting, though you can do the lifts with a dumbell. I think dumbell swings are an amazing excercise quite suitable for cyclists and runners since they really work you over cardiovascularly and really hit the 'posterior chain' of hips, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. There's almost no end to what you can do at home with a pair of dumbells. Swings, clean and jerks, shoulder press, overhead squat, single-leg deadlift, the list goes on. Pavel describes a lot in his videos.

Other great, low-tech excercises include single leg squats and pullups. I also have a 'Power Wheel' which is basically an abdominal wheel, but with foot platforms. Great for abs but also with your feet on the wheel, lying on your back and bringing your heels to your butt while raising your torso off the ground, this is one of the best hamstring excercises ever and I think cyclists will appreciate it.

If you get a chance, read the articles at Dragondoor and maybe pick up a video or book.

I think you can actually accomplish a lot by applying Pavel's ideas on high intensity/low volume/periodized strength training to various high resistance work on the trainer. Periodization can take the form of varying intensity, which Pavel likes, as well as frequently varying excercises, somteimes as often as every week, which is favored by the word-class power lifters at the West Side Gym in Ohio.

There's a lot out there. Hope this helps a little.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being a poor social worker, father of 2, and resident of a house undergoing major construction, I have had to find creative ways to strength train. (I sold my weights to help buy my bike a year or so ago...) Here are some of my techniqes:
1. squats or stair climbing with a backpack full of bricks on
2. pull-ups
3. push-ups
4. dips off of a counter top or two chairs
5. toe raises
6. crunches

I agree that a set of dumbells, probably with interchangeable weight plates, would allow you to do almost all of the strength training you would need as a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you can achieve an excellent workout using dumbells and an exercise ball. Check out Power Blocks as a great set of dumbells, expensive but one set can range from 5 to 85 pounds. I have used my set for the last 2 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find one time during the week when you can use the gym and for another alternative give yoga a shot.

I am new to it myself but find the benefits in balance, flexibility, AND strength to be (initially at least) very impressive.

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Training Alternatives [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like you're well informed - interesting ideas!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flyebaby,

I believe I do low budget resistance training on an ongoing basis.

For upper body I do sit ups, push ups, pull ups, etc. Many times I do them with the kids in the yard or on the playset. Just takes a few minutes and can do it any time any where.

For lower body, I mountain bike, more in the winter than in the summer. On some rides I concentrate on strength by doing low RPMs in large gears on rough terrain while trying to maintain proper form. You can't get much more sport specific than this, it's fun, and it works! I do this at least once a week in the winter. Same thing can be done on a road bike.

Get strong in '03!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply