Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly running mileage for 1/2 ironman?
Quote | Reply
I would like an opinion on how much running I should do weekly in preparing for my first 1/2 ironman this June. I just completed my 2nd marathon two weeks ago (4:28 time). I averaged between 20-30 miles a week in training for the marathon, with my highest mileage week being 37. I never ran more than 4 times a week.

It seems like everyone has a different opinion. Running magazines offer 1/2 marathon training programs with a higher weekly mileage, of course. But, I have never seen a recommendation from a triathlon news source.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly running mileage for 1/2 ironman? [JCunnane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much time you want to put into it. If you currently run 4 days a week and get between 20 and 30 and can keep doing those runs while adding in swimming and bike then I would recommend keeping your mileage as is. If you must sacrifice some running time then I would recommend keeping one long run (10-12 miles) and one speed session a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I competed in a medium distance triathlon (2.5/80/20km). I run between 100 and 150km a month -> 25-35km a week.

The run went realy well. One reason for this was that they allowed drafting on the bike leg (I heard this the evening before when I got ny race number).

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry,

I answered your post with another post.... My mistake...

I'm planning to run 35 km per week for my first 1/2 Ironman race....

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is your bike and swim? What is your goal for the 1/2 IM?

Obviously you have enough base from the marathon. If your bike or swim is slow, you may need to focus your time on those areas.
Quote Reply
Re: Total Running Time is a better standard.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what your goals are. Personally, I am in week 8 of my 20 week base in preperation for a hald in June. My coach has me running on average 4 day's a week and I am running based on time and intensity NOT miles. This is the first year I am using a coach and the benefits are huge.

My last week looked something like this (running)....Tuesday, I'll run for 70 minutes at a mid aerobic HR. Wednesday, I'll run about 60 minutes at a similar mid aerobic HR. Friday, I may go 90 minutes at a High end aerobic HR, then Sunday I'll Run for 2-2 1/2 hours at a low end aerobic HR. Mind you, he is also mixing in the swim and the bike, but I am finding myself running further each week in specific HR zones for the time I am running. Which means that I am getting more fit.

Also, there is no speed work. Speed work will start during my build and into my phase. Instead, I'm doing multiple 20 - 30 sec. build ups during my runs to elevate my HR and keep the fast twitch fibers honest.

Moral of the story, time is a better standart for distance training than miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are somewhat happy with your last marathon time then you shouldn't need much training for the 13.1 m run. Certainly not more than a few runs a week. You will have greater success, by far, if you dont worry about quantity and focus on one really long, hard brick workout per week. By June, you should be able to come off the bike hit the pavement running comfortably for the 1/2. Remember, you have your running base already. Focus on the bike and ride-to-run bricks. jh
Quote Reply