Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about registering for St. George next year... I read that the water temp can be pretty cold but lots of reviews make it inconsistent..

What is the expected water temperate? Mid 60s or 50s? How about the weather?
Quote Reply
Re: Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3 [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year was very weird. The temperature was in the 90s during the week leading up to the race.
Race day morning was a water temp of 60-61, with air temps in the 50s, dropping to 40s and pouring rain.
Other years it has been 90+ degrees.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3 [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a more normal year such as 2014 or 2013? How is the water temp? Still low 60s?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what the race date is for next year? Can't find it on the website.
Quote Reply
Re: Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3 [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always the first Saturday in May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temp is 58-62 fairly consistently. Can get colder, but less likely.
I had tree years of hot and this year was cold- lots of hypothermia out there-cold rain. If you are prepared for either, it is a great race. Beautiful! Great volunteers- even in a cold rain or heat.
Always had enough ice and nutrition! They do it right- except the weather is a big mystery.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3 [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
This year was very weird. The temperature was in the 90s during the week leading up to the race.
Race day morning was a water temp of 60-61, with air temps in the 50s, dropping to 40s and pouring rain.
Other years it has been 90+ degrees.
Yes, the 3 times I raced in St George (2012, 2013, 2015) always had water temperatures in the low sixties and hot weather. High eighties in 2012/2013 and low nineties in 2015. This year was supposedly cold but I would expect that to be an exception. Plan for hot weather and a fairly cold swim (but not too cold - just one of those where you have to decide if you want to wear an extra swim cap or not).

I love that race even though I have never been any good there. Planning on giving it another shot in 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3 [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultimately I believe the race will go on next year, and finally my fiancé and myself can do this race and follow it up with our awesome national parks hiking/camping trip.

However, I did hear grumblings the race might not be around next year, or at least it won't be a 70.3 regional championship.
Quote Reply
Re: Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3 [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
Ultimately I believe the race will go on next year, and finally my fiancé and myself can do this race and follow it up with our awesome national parks hiking/camping trip.

However, I did hear grumblings the race might not be around next year, or at least it won't be a 70.3 regional championship.
I emailed them a week or two ago to ask when registration would open and they said some time mid July. So I would definitely expect there will be a 70.3 SG next year. As to it being a regional pro championship - while it's fun to have a lot of pros there, it's not essential to make it a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3 [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear, I know it opened about this time last year....

I don't care if it has a pro race or not. Just was curious if they were canceling the pro race because they will be canceling the race completely.
Quote Reply
Re: Weather and Water Temp for St. George 70.3 [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Website now lists the date as May 6 and still shows it as North American Pro Championship. So looks like no change for St George!
Quote Reply