Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wear out a cassette lock ring, Neo
Quote | Reply
I can’t find anything on google, but can’t be the only one

I ride my bike a lot on the Neo, for going on almost 3 years.

A couple weeks ago i got off the bike and found shaved metal under the trainer. I couldn’t figure out what it was, took bike off and didn’t notice anything.

Today I heard rubbing, while peddling, when the bike was clamped to the trainer. If I loosened the clamp, rubbing went away.

I see now that’s because the lock ring had worn down so much, the cassette and dropout were rubbing on each other

Anyone else wear out their lock ring from a trainer? I have never noticed the clamp not ratcheted down tightly, what could i have done to cause this?
Quote Reply
Re: Wear out a cassette lock ring, Neo [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I can’t find anything on google, but can’t be the only one

I ride my bike a lot on the Neo, for going on almost 3 years.

A couple weeks ago i got off the bike and found shaved metal under the trainer. I couldn’t figure out what it was, took bike off and didn’t notice anything.

Today I heard rubbing, while peddling, when the bike was clamped to the trainer. If I loosened the clamp, rubbing went away.

I see now that’s because the lock ring had worn down so much, the cassette and dropout were rubbing on each other

Anyone else wear out their lock ring from a trainer? I have never noticed the clamp not ratcheted down tightly, what could i have done to cause this?

Do you have the tools to verify the lock ring is tightened all the way down?

The Edco freehubs on the original Neo receive a lot of complaints of bearing failure. Maybe pull your bike off and see if the entire cassette/freehub is shifting or rocking. 3 years of frequent use is probably pretty heavy compared to a lot of the users with complaints on the Tacx Neo FB page.

Tacx now offers a Shimano only freehub if yours is shot and you don’t want to switch bearings.
Quote Reply
Re: Wear out a cassette lock ring, Neo [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure it’s the freehub that went bad

That’s pretty messed up

I ruined a lockring on the casette as well as dug pretty deep into the frame / dropout
Last edited by: mvenneta: Mar 19, 19 20:12
Quote Reply
Re: Wear out a cassette lock ring, Neo [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this tip

Seems it’s broken freehub on Neo.

The FB Group has a bunch of people that are reporting the same thing.
Quote Reply