Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weakness in non breathing side of arm stroke
Quote | Reply
In general I knew this was weaker, but not so much so that when I threw my wetsuit on for a race it felt like I was swimming with a paralyzed arm. Any tips to correct this? I assume swimming with a paddle only on the weaker arm
Quote Reply
Re: Weakness in non breathing side of arm stroke [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider how your body position is in the water. A lot of single side/breathe every 2 strokes types end up swimming on an angle toward the breathing side. The result, is that your body isn't in a strong position to pull - your "weak" arm is pulling from your shoulder, instead of engaging lats/core. Do more bilateral breathing, or even snorkel swimming, really focusing on rotating both directions and not just staying on an angle to one side.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Weakness in non breathing side of arm stroke [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could be over-reaching or crossing over on your non-breathing side. With a wetsuit on, you would encounter more resistance, which would make you feel "weak".

Regardless, work on stroke symmetry as suggested above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice bilateral, 3/2 stroke or weak side only breathing. 1 arm drills or band work might help as well. Seems like swimming w/ a single paddle on could create all sorts of wonky in your stroke.

Swim smooth also just a blog post about something similar: how single side breathers are very asymetric in the water in regards to angle and as a result, a week pull and potentially flared legs during 1 half of the stoke.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/...thing-every-two.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I rely a little on weight training to even my arms/shoulders/lats (etc.) out.

2. A massage therapist alerted me to my stroke asymmetry: asked if I was left-handed (I am not) because my left shoulder/lat was so over-developed. I am very dependent on my right hand/arm in all activities. But since I breathe on my left, my right arm has become a kind of vestigial appendage. An odd place to get swim coaching!
Quote Reply
Re: Weakness in non breathing side of arm stroke [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Often-times the non-breathing side arm becomes more of a flotation device to “lay on” when breathing. This results in not using it effectively for the pull, which further results in the breathing side arm doing even more work.

I’d be surprised if that’s the reason one arm/lat is more developed than the other, but it definitely could make your stroke asymmetrical.

Breathing technique is never perfect for anybody and even the best swimmers in the world are working on improving it, so without seeing you swim or knowing anything about your performance, working on this would be my recommendation.

Working to turn and lift your head out of the water the least amount possible, keeping one goggle in the water at all times, and keeping your body moving the same speed through the water during the breathing portion without slowing down and speeding up after should help even things out.
Quote Reply
Re: Weakness in non breathing side of arm stroke [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apmoss wrote:
I am very dependent on my right hand/arm in all activities

No need for details please...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Weakness in non breathing side of arm stroke [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"No need for details please."

Lots of things about triathlon let you know you're getting old. Recovery takes longer, joint pain, PR's a thing of the past. But that I did not see this one coming is maybe the surest sign that my youth is behind me. I am chuckling now...

To be young again. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of people breathing on only 1 side and swimming sub 60 minutes for the Ironman (re: "fast swimmers") They are already pretty good and to try and change things up to breathing both sides just isn't worth their energy or effort.

But for slower folks, because their technique is so lousy to begin with, and they have so little to lose it probably makes sense to figure out how to breathe on both sides to get a more symmetry into their stroke.

I would say rather than try to fix your "weak arm", concentrate on learning to breath on both sides. That will fix your arm without even trying.

Again, always easier said than done. But as someone else posted before with the link to swim smooth they are big proponents of bilateral breathing and I am certain there are drills there to sort you out.
Quote Reply
Re: Weakness in non breathing side of arm stroke [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all... I did a test in pool today doing 3-5-7 breaths every stroke and was smoother with decent pace. All the hard intervals I have been doing made me forget how to breathe and unfortunately learned race day. Argh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this drill:

It is in a thread called "A Great Multipurpose Drill" and was posted by the late (and great) Doug Stern, an ST "God" when it comes to swimming. He died several years ago and is still quoted, etc, on ST. Here is the original thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...i?post=681536#681536

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAizRfYG10

It is technically a kick timing drill, but it will also fix your problem.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply