Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here
Quote | Reply
a number of us have been talking this over. there's going to be some big hitters coming forward with this. virtual racing. virtual triathlons and duathlons. this thread is to discuss this, because here's what i know: 1) whatever gets decided, people are going to whine; 2) the most verbal whiners are going to be those who are professional whiners. (we all know them; we know they can be counted on reliably to whine.)

so, in order to assuage the whiners, but more so to just get this right, this thread is where we're going to hash out some formats, rules, platforms and the like. a lot of important people are going to rely on what we decide here. so...

PLATFORMS

what i mean by "platform" is: are we talking indoor or outdoor? virtual does not necessarily mean stationary. a "platform" in my parlance could be: this is a zwift event. zwift ride. zwift run. put them together. voila. duathlon.

or, this could be an outdoor ride of, say, 25 or 56mi. followed by a run of some distance. and the "timing company" is not bikereg or active but, in this case, garmin or wahoo. it's your ELEMNT Bolt. or it's your garmin 1030 and/or 945.

or the platform is rouvy, or RGT. obviously there's a lot of honor system here. but i think slowtwitchers are by and large pretty honorable. i'm not worried about that.

FORMATS

is it ride/run, start to finish? if so, then there are problems, whether it's a GPS unit "platform" or whether it's a zwift platform. for example, if it's outdoor, then you're likely to ride using a head unit and run using a watch. one would have to start immediately upon the other ending. i don't know that this is realistic. if it's zwift, and if we race in groups, the only way to do it the run is if we, say, ride as a group (we start a group ride), but then upon ending the ride we jump on a treadmill and start running, just free running, not part of a scheduled run, because we start scheduled runs altogether.

it is my guess that the best way to transact virtual multipsport events - whether outdoor or indoor - is to have the run occur at some distance from the ride. in fact, i could see that we do this sort of like a "postal" event. in either a running or swimming postal event you have from this date on the calendar to that, and the swim is 3000 yards, or the run is a half-marathon, and you have to achieve it between those calendar dates. i could easily see something like that, where there's both a ride and a run, you have several cracks at both. come the end of that time window, your best ride and run aggregated together is your "time".

so, look, as we discuss formats, i encourage you to think outside the box. when i started racing triathlons there were very little rules. if the first 5 triathlons i entered, 4 were draft legal. several were odd-format, with the bike at end, or the swim at the end. this was back between 1977 and 1981, so, we didn't have rules or tradition to violate. think of the best, most interesting, most accessible formats you can. and give me a succinct event, as in:

activities: bike and run
distances: 40k and 5k
format: bike on the trainer; run on the treadmill or outdoor; run and bike discrete accomplishments; multiple efforts okay.
platform: bike 40k memorialized by a file from zwift, trainerroad, sufferfest, etc; run memorialized by a zwift effort, or by a GPS unit, or a footpod.
calendar: ; efforts must be achieved and uploaded between May 15 and May 30.
data aggregator: a slowtwtich challenge; (or bikereg; or sportstats).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumor has it that Ironman is working on this offering. The million dollar question will be if they will hand out Kona slots from the virtual races?!
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
Rumor has it that Ironman is working on this offering. The million dollar question will be if they will hand out Kona slots from the virtual races?!

Great...There goes all the grassroots virtual races. Or is that virutal grassroots races?

They will only virtual Kona slots. Or is that kona virtual slots?
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So people will cheat like they do on Zwift
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just like to note that I, and I am sure many others, do not have access to a treadmill anymore. Even my apartment complex fitness center is closed. Great if you can afford/have space for a treadmill in your own house but for the non-dentist triathletes, we have only one run option: outdoors.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! Bummer that you don't have access to a TM....but, that's no reason to go around calling people bad names! I'm not a dentist now, and I wasn't a dentist 20 years ago when I bought my TM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well since Lionel just took the Mt. Lemmon record, I asked Talbot to let him know we have our own little record here, on our semi famous mountain. Ridden a few times in the tour of California as a KOM and hilltop finish, but never ridden as well as it was the day Bjorn Anderson hit that shit hard, on his Tri bike, staying aero the entire time. No strava record, or other virtual accolades, just the hard core, bad to the bone record of the greatest triathlon cyclist tt'er of all time..

His time was 45;12, the real bottom to top climb, don't remember his weight, but held 465 watts average as I recall...Cda was not as important back then, but suffice it to say, for a big dude(maybe 180lbs?) he was quite aero. He did a few mile warm up, did the climb, then did another 80 to get his 100 in for the day too. None of this TDF tt 2 hour warm up, and then fall over at the finish line and celebrate with shaking bubbly. All alone, no one to cheer, and no website to throw their accolades at you after..

So anyone interested in knocking that one off, who doesn't care about it being a squiggly line on some internet site, give us a call and we can set it up. Stop watch at the bottom, we hit it when you get to the top, 11.6 miles with 3 sections of gradual downhill to get your legs back for the next section..IT's the Bob Beamon record of hill climb records, about time someone took it down...
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:

Great...There goes all the grassroots virtual races. Or is that virutal grassroots races?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love for a resurrection of the GCG AmZof distance in Zwift. Offer 5 mile runs and 28 mile bikes throughout the month, submit your 3 best runs and 2 best bikes. Obviously not perfect, but something to aim for that also doesn't get messy with having to attempt to add swims/Vasa to the mix.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a dentist and have a treadmill, maybe that mean's I am not a triathlete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the live events as zwift does, they could do a run-bike-run or bike-run format type race. The virtual events that give you 1-2 weeks to complete and then upload aren't as appealing to me. Although you can easily cheat on zwift I'd still rather do live ones. Also, I'm a podiatrist with a TM... so I felt kinda left out with that earlier post.
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, a fast friend will wear a slow friends watch and go run.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, this was my thought:

bike 38-42km whenever you want from now till end of summer. Record on GPS. You can have three minutes of stoppage time in case there are traffic lights, and if you don't have lights, just take 3 minutes of recovery breaks to make it fair. If not the continuous course person will get penalized and you don't want people racing through stop signs and traffic lights. We take average moving time for whatever distance and convert to an exact 40km after you upload your file. Maybe add a handicap for every 100m of climbing beyond the first 100m of vertical we subtract a minute. Finish location should be within 100m of start location so that you roughly have the same amount of climb/descent or headwind/tailwind

10km run....go to a track and run 25x400m. Or run 10km and upload your GPS file

Swim....go to pool and manually upload your time for a 1500m. No wetsuits, buoys or rubber suits or paddles. Or no pool and just go swim open water. Record on GPS. Just swim until you think you have covered 1500...it may be 1400m or 1600m but we'll convert it back to 1500m. I find pool swim no wetsuit times and wetsuit outdoor times on flat water are not that far off...close enough for this exercise

We could also have

400-600m swim, software recalculated 500m
1800-2000m swim software recalculated 1900m

18-22km bike, software recalculates for 20km ride
85-95km ride, software recalculates for 90km

Keep doing each leg as fast as you want and the system replaces your slower times.

Add up all legs for the overall. You can do sprint, Olympic and half IM over the summer, but you can't use your Olympic splits for the sprint and you can't use your half splits for the Olympic and sprint. You have to and do all nine legs over the summer.

I have some ideas of local loops in Ottawa Canada (hill and flat) in all three sports if anyone wants to do them in TT mode and keep social distance unless of course all of this gets annulled by lockdown mode such as in Italy.

Meanwhile my plan to go on a full on overdrive swim plan got canned and after 100/100 with only one day off after it ended, I am 8/8 on running 45-75 minutes daily. Really missing the swimming
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch. You just called me a dentist /? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Ouch. You just called me a dentist /? ;-)

You anti-dentite bastard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone has already organized zwift duathlons for about 2 months now. still ironing out the kinks but it works reasonable well.
https://www.zwift.si/
i think they need to change up distance and courses each week, right now the last few have been 2mi run/ bike 28mi, run 3mi so a little lopsided on the bike. good fun though, gets the competitive juices flowing for sure. i personally have no interest in a version where people just upload their best times from home courses. too many variables to really make it worth trying to compare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The USA Triathlon Foundation did a virtual triathlon a few months ago: https://www.teamusa.org/...on/Virtual-Triathlon

They used FitRankings to collate the data (from GC or Strava) to keep things fair. They offered a t-shirt and medal (both of which I have) for a $35 donation to the Foundation. It was quite fun, actually! :)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
except pedaling on a trainer is not cycling (no balance needed and you don't need the skill of maintaining an aero position like the real world) and running on treadmill has a more forgiving surface than outdoors, so all this indoor exercising feels less like racing than outside in the real world where you have to do the full sport, the only difference is how its timed and no direct head to head so its a pure time trial (at least we can't whine about the draft train to Hawi or all the peloton at Ironman Barcelona).

Outside is more fun. Let's try to do this outdoors...and I heard that sportstats, the world's largest company will be jumping in to help this take off.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan: How about something like this (partly SuperLeague inspired kind of race):

1 Hour Total - do as many laps as you can:

1. 3K bike
2. Transition
3. 1 K run.

Can also do versions of this with a Vasa:
1. 250 swim
2. Transition
3. 3K bike
4. Transition
5. 1 K run

And can do versions with different total times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of something like this, but didn't post as I don't really have many connections. I think it's a great idea and could help folks stay motivated.

Maybe we could do some Zwift only events and some outside only events. I think combining times (one outside and one inside) could be a little tricky. I definitely seem to be faster on Zwift, as there are obviously no stops due to traffic, lights, etc. I'd also think that setting up some sort of TT where drafting wouldn't play a role would be nice. On the flip side, we could have some 'draft legal' racing, at least for the bike portion of a virtual race.

I'm onboard and excited to participate!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think anything outdoors should be done out and back or a complete loop. Mostly erasing the potential advantage of wind would make it much easier to normalize for elevation change or such. This should go for running and biking. I'd say most people have some sort of out and back available to them, so they can just do out and backs to meet the required distance for the race.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift could easily engineer a platform for duathlons that didn't rely on set start times for the bike and 2nd run. Just design and program the course. Everyone starts the run together, does a set distance loop. You finish the loop and are automatically switched to your bike, your transition time is the amount of time it takes you to get from your treadmill to your bike and start pedaling. Same format applies for the bike and switching to the final run. Set up draft and non-drafting races. From a software programming perspective this would be straightforward with the current platform and would just require linking together what is already there and then creating the events.
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, i wish zwift would do this, it would be much more simple. the way it is now was set up by individuals with no relation to zwift, so the fact that they got it going at all is great. if zwift would take it over and streamline it, that would be ideal. i would also love to see them get some kind of swimming or rowing avatar active, so we could use Vasa ANT+ and concept2 equipment. that way we could get a real virtual tri going. i just got an ANT+ computer for my swim erg, i am going to try entering a D level race today and see how it goes (dead last i'm predicting)
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I think anything outdoors should be done out and back or a complete loop. Mostly erasing the potential advantage of wind would make it much easier to normalize for elevation change or such. This should go for running and biking. I'd say most people have some sort of out and back available to them, so they can just do out and backs to meet the required distance for the race.

+1 to this, especially if the timeframe is open-ended
Quote Reply
Re: We're going to have a SEASON of virtual racing; let's discuss this here [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Dan, this was my thought:

bike 38-42km whenever you want from now till end of summer. Record on GPS. You can have three minutes of stoppage time in case there are traffic lights, and if you don't have lights, just take 3 minutes of recovery breaks to make it fair. If not the continuous course person will get penalized and you don't want people racing through stop signs and traffic lights. We take average moving time for whatever distance and convert to an exact 40km after you upload your file. Maybe add a handicap for every 100m of climbing beyond the first 100m of vertical we subtract a minute. Finish location should be within 100m of start location so that you roughly have the same amount of climb/descent or headwind/tailwind

10km run....go to a track and run 25x400m. Or run 10km and upload your GPS file

Swim....go to pool and manually upload your time for a 1500m. No wetsuits, buoys or rubber suits or paddles. Or no pool and just go swim open water. Record on GPS. Just swim until you think you have covered 1500...it may be 1400m or 1600m but we'll convert it back to 1500m. I find pool swim no wetsuit times and wetsuit outdoor times on flat water are not that far off...close enough for this exercise

We could also have

400-600m swim, software recalculated 500m
1800-2000m swim software recalculated 1900m

18-22km bike, software recalculates for 20km ride
85-95km ride, software recalculates for 90km

Keep doing each leg as fast as you want and the system replaces your slower times.

Add up all legs for the overall. You can do sprint, Olympic and half IM over the summer, but you can't use your Olympic splits for the sprint and you can't use your half splits for the Olympic and sprint. You have to and do all nine legs over the summer.

I have some ideas of local loops in Ottawa Canada (hill and flat) in all three sports if anyone wants to do them in TT mode and keep social distance unless of course all of this gets annulled by lockdown mode such as in Italy.

Meanwhile my plan to go on a full on overdrive swim plan got canned and after 100/100 with only one day off after it ended, I am 8/8 on running 45-75 minutes daily. Really missing the swimming

I like this but we could also organize events on particular days and times. I also would strongly prefer outdoors to Zwift as long as it's possible. E.g.,

"Virtual Outdoor Olympic Duathlon 3-hour cutoff"
activities: bike and run
distances: 40k and 10k
format: bike outdoor loop or out-and-back; run outdoor loop or out-and-back
platform: bike 40k GPS record + run 10k GPS record (don't need to be same device).
calendar: One day with XX time "mass start" for bike and xx + 90 minute "mass start" time for run (faster bike time = more recovery for run!). You can start late but all activities must be uploaded by XX time + 3 hours.
data aggregator: ?? a slowtwtich challenge; (or bikereg; or sportstats).

(edit to put in Dan's suggested format)
Last edited by: twcronin: Mar 20, 20 11:05
Quote Reply

Prev Next