Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watts required to go 55kph on a track
Quote | Reply
Hey guys! I’m posting here to hopefully find somebody who could tell me how many watts I would be required to put out if my cda is super low 0.170-0.172, and my chain is optimized to go 55kph on the track (Milton velodrome)?thanks! 🙏🏼 I’ve linked my fit if your are interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go 55kph on a track [Mathias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At my local Velodrome (Lexus Velodrome) I'm just over 55 kph doing flying zeros and that's full speed (57 kph) at the 200 meter line. If I use HR as a proxy, related to my road sprinting, I'd be around 650-700 watts which I can normally sustain for less than 5 seconds.

So...A whole lot of power...10.2 to 11 W/Kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
391W at the crank. 180lbs total, 70F, 600ft, Crr .0022.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I recall from recent interviews re the hour record where they are targeting mid 50’s they have had to average approx 400w. I think Brad Wiggins told after his hour record that he averaged 440w. So assuming the Milton surface is similar to the London Olympic velodrome and the air pressure is similar, then you will need somewhere north of 400w.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mathias, As you know 55kph is extremely fast and 0.17 super-aero! We modelled tracked data according to CDA for a fun comparison against Ganna's amazing 4k world record here: http://fft.tips/pursuit

Using this calculation 55kph, at 0.17 cda, solo, ignoring initially standing start would be around 477w (in a 4 man team the team would average around 390w to do 55kph). However even 0.005 cda makes a fair difference to the calculation, as does surface and choice of tyre.

After this we went on to model the watts according to position in the team, and exact distance from the rider in front to help out some teams on the track perfect their strategy.

bw

Alex from FFT
Last edited by: FastFitnessTips: Jan 29, 20 0:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference between those two CdAs is about 5w at 55kph. Milton doesn’t run extremely fast (compared with Manchester in the UK for example) because of the surface and a lot will depend on the rho (air density) on the day.

For a cool day at Milton without crazy low rho you’re looking at 383-389w to travel at 55kph, but to achieve 55km in an hour record you can add 10w to that due to handling/line and fatigue affecting your CdA in the latter stages.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go 55kph on a track [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright I trust AeroCoach so what if I am 146pounds and I can put out 440 watts in the aero position for 3min30? Would I be faster than 3:20.00 at the ip? Same cda (1400w start)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is your linked fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mathias wrote:
Alright I trust AeroCoach so what if I am 146pounds and I can put out 440 watts in the aero position for 3min30? Would I be faster than 3:20.00 at the ip? Same cda (1400w start)

If you let me know an average power for the entire 3km, as well as your cruising power off a 1400w start (round a track, not turbo) I can let you know.

1400w at 66kg is solid for an IP start (and not necessary for a 3km!)

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Mathias wrote:

If you let me know an average power for the entire 3km, as well as your cruising power off a 1400w start (round a track, not turbo) I can let you know.

I know nothing about track cycling but is this really the best pacing strategy?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I don’t know my average power but I can tell you that I want my cruising power (at speed) to be 440w my opening lap is 21.4second
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mathias wrote:
So I don’t know my average power but I can tell you that I want my cruising power (at speed) to be 440w my opening lap is 21.4second

For a cruising power of 440w, your total power will be in the region of 490w off a standing start. With a CdA of 0.171 and a good line on the track, with rho 1.185 at Milton that would give you a 3:08.5, with ~15.2sec laps and a 21.2sec opener. If you've not actually done 440w cruising off a standing start with that CdA I would highly suggest giving it a go, scaled up a bit that's a <4:18 4km pursuit which is very fast indeed.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go 55kph on a track [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Mathias wrote:

I know nothing about track cycling but is this really the best pacing strategy?

Better off <1200w but a solid standing start is a) absolutely necessary b) an absolute killer. It means that traditional time triallists who transition to track often find it really difficult to get anything close to what they'd consider to be an "acceptable" power, as you are massively limited in terms of what you can put out, once you've done a standing start at close to max effort. You can't roll away from the line like in a TT as the event is so short so you have to accept the compromise.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holly shit 👌🏼 but I mean I am able to do 440-450max over a 3min20 (with a standing start). Sorry for that! Could you calculate this with a average of 440w? I’m sorry:))
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go 55kph on a track [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, your digging in a whole different energy system in the opening 8-12sec so it doesn’t really matter... every single bit of time that you would lose in your start would be needed to substrac to your schedule... I find it Easier to do a 20.8-9 opening lap and then coast to my pace (giving me a ~2sec rest) and then the suffering starts:)) ultimate goal is world up record at 2020 junior worlds so if anybody is interested into helping me in any mater is welcomed🙏🏼
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mathias wrote:
I mean, your digging in a whole different energy system in the opening 8-12sec

Quadzilla agrees

(Robert Förstemann)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go 55kph on a track [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there's trackies and experts on ST, but over on Bikeforums in the "33" there's a couple guys who are track nerds that post really often. One who has a kid that's an elite junior track and TT rider if I remember correctly.

I'd try that out also for this topic.

I typically refer the TT fit stuff on Bikeforums over here to ST due to the expertise here.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go 55kph on a track [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright I’ll try it out! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go 55kph on a track [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mathias wrote:
Holly shit 👌🏼 but I mean I am able to do 440-450max over a 3min20 (with a standing start). Sorry for that! Could you calculate this with a average of 440w? I’m sorry:))

3:16.0 - 438w total, 393w cruising, 15.8s with a 21.7 standing

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn okay thanks!! Would you mind if I message you on Instagram or something like that? I wanna see if my fit is as good as I can get it🙂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mathias wrote:
Damn okay thanks!! Would you mind if I message you on Instagram or something like that? I wanna see if my fit is as good as I can get it🙂

No problem. We can't do stuff like that over the net though I'm afraid - booking a session with us is the way to get access to personal fit advice

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean I live in Canada ahahah
Quote Reply