Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought wheel covers weren't legal, i guess not?

(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just slap some Scott 100K bars
I made the mistake of explaining AOD to my wife and she wasn't too keen on the D.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may want to check out this paper. good explanations, examples and equations

http://www.eatel.net/~mikec/aero.html

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used

Wheel covers are spoke covers... they are legal except in nationals and UCI events.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Just slap some Scott 100K bars

I made the mistake of explaining AOD to my wife and she wasn't too keen on the D.

How does AC put it?..."Handling skills or hospital bills"?? ;-)

To be honest, I haven't found the 100K bars to be highly "constraining" in the handling department. Of course, it helps that the front-center on that P2K is fairly "long"...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

...and your question is?? ;-)

In any case, that was a CBR event, not a USAC one...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weigh 180 and went 56:12 at 260 watts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should of put a '.' instead of a '?'

so would it be legal in USAC races outside nationals and UCI too then?

The rule book doesn't specify the use only in TT's, does that mean I can use my disc cover for Boulevard? :)

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Last edited by: msuguy512: Dec 9, 09 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so would it be legal in USAC races outside nationals and UCI too then?

It's legal in any USAC event that doesn't require UCI equipment rules....or, basically 99% of all USAC events.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of the people responding to this thread have abnormally aerodynamic positions. Most of us won't or can't get that aero.

I'm 5' 10", 158, and have an ok but not great position. For me to break 1:00 (I've been very close but haven't done it yet) it would take 255 watts (3.55/kg). By definition, FTP would be 255.

In case no one mentioned it above, go to www.analyticcycling.com, go to "power, given speed", and punch in 11.084 m/s (if my math is right!). Depending on your position, you can get ideas of how much power you need.

Good luck, I"ll be trying to do the same thing this year!
Last edited by: phil combs: Dec 9, 09 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [phil combs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A lot of the people responding to this thread have abnormally aerodynamic positions. Most of us won't or can't get that aero.

Who ya callin' "abnormal"?? (or, "Abby Normal", for all of you "Young Frankenstein" fans ;-)

Does this position really look all that strange?

Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
+1

260+ watts for my 210lb Frame to get under 55min. Much more do do with your setup, than with your weight.

Jeez.... I need to do some serious work on my position over the off-season.

+2 for me.. Does the "+" in 260+ mean about 275?

the 260 + is open ended, so the + was there because the 55min was also open ended. MY last 1 hour TT was an average of 260 watts on the Palmdale course in 2007.
. My position was very good, but VERY painful. I wouldn't do an hour in that position again, on purpose. ;)

You guys are a "TRIP". IF you boast too high of a wattage, you get slammed by the ST web certified experts, and now you also get slammed if your wattage claim is too low?

Make it worth my while to prove you guys wrong. I have the pics of the setup, I have ALL my power files leading up to the race, and I have the file from the race. So, its pretty apparent when you review the data that it IS what I claimed. That, or I doctored months of data just to me able to post up that I put out less wattage.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Last edited by: E_moto: Dec 9, 09 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Does this position really look all that strange?

Looks like a classic aero position to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [bermudabill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you may want to check out this paper. good explanations, examples and equations

http://www.eatel.net/~mikec/aero.html

Holy cow, where did you find that? What a blast from the past!
Note that that was a very early attempt at modeling and there is an error in the aero power term. The power term should be
1/2 rho Cd A Vg Va^2
with Vg being ground speed (not influenced by wind) and Va being air speed (influenced by ground and wind speed). Because of this error the final table overestimates the effect of wind. All the tables with calm conditions are fine.
Since then I have written a few journal articles on the aerodynamics and can send them out to those of you who are interested. If there is enough interest I could put the pdf's up on a server.

Cheers,

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, really, guys like you (aero-or-die, 60 minutes on 205 watts) and Carl Spackler (the frigging 2nd fastest master tter in the WORLD, who is so aero, that even you aero guys are in awe of how aero he is) are the mainstream! Only a few of us bizarre outliers need 255w to break 60 minutes (and I still haven;t been able to do that)

By the way, you got any advice on how to go sub-60 on 205 watts? As I've posted before (And I got a lot of valuable input from people like you and Bob Chambers and others) the rest of us would love to figure this stuff out but it ain't easy!

Phil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hotel room, night before, trying a raised cockpit that I did not go with.

Hotel room, night before, experimenting with a raised cockpit.

Warming up, but you can see that this setup is not one that'll be comfortable for very long

A good view of the bike's setup, cockpit is LOW. This was the final setup for the bike (obviously, since I am about to step up onto the starting podium).

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Last edited by: E_moto: Dec 9, 09 21:16
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E-moto: If anyone else doubts your wattage figures tell them to come meet you in person and you will snap them like a twig.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
+1

260+ watts for my 210lb Frame to get under 55min. Much more do do with your setup, than with your weight.

Jeez.... I need to do some serious work on my position over the off-season.

I did a flat 40K in 58:30 on an embarrassingly low 225W AP a couple of months ago...I'm ~5' 10-11" and ~160-165lbs...

I probably could've just broken 60 minutes on around 205W or so with that position/setup.

I hate you.

My thoughts exactly.

I must be about as aerodynamic as a brick wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's a big dude. I'm thinking those arms are costing him at least 25 watts to push through the air.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not your average cyclist (or triathlete) for sure.

Also interesting to me that he can get so aero at that weight/body composition. Proves that people like me (5' 10", 158, less aero than E-Moto) can/should be able to do better.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did I read this correctly?.....210lbs and 260W for 55 minutes? That's only 2.7W per Kg! Dude, if you can get your power up to the 5W per kg (like all the studs on ST) you'll be cleaning up more than you are now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is sort of interesting (to me at least) with regard to aero vs. watts. we have a really hilly tt course that measured (with a 705) 36.2km with ~1300ft of elevation change. i did the p1/2 race, finished and a few minutes later did the m35+. first time was 48:05, and 48:58 -- on 28 fewer watts. and of the :53 difference, :08 came in the last 1/2 mile, which was a little over 4% grade.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what's interesting to me: http://www.scncattchampionships.com/...ITT_RESULTS_5-19.pdf

If this is the Palmdale '40K' to which E-Moto is referring, his numbers make a lot more sense...

You should go find this course--you may break the 40 minute barrier!
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First let me say that I totally credit E-Moto's statement that he did 55 min on 260+ watts. I hate the way so many people call BS on other people on ST when in my experience the vast majority of people tell the truth.

So, yes he is low w/kg but incredibly aero. So what I wonder is if his position is an aero friendly, power poor position. Maybe he could substantially jack up his wattage if he moved to a more powerful position and maybe that would be slower/maybe faster depending on the aero impact.

In any event, he's a lot faster than me but most ST'ers are. (And man he sure could kick my ass).

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's what's interesting to me: http://www.scncattchampionships.com/...ITT_RESULTS_5-19.pdf

If this is the Palmdale '40K' to which E-Moto is referring, his numbers make a lot more sense...

You should go find this course--you may break the 40 minute barrier!

I assume these results are atypical for a 40k, all the cat 5 men breaking an hour? Either that or I have some serious work to do on my cycling...
Quote Reply

Prev Next