Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wattage for 70.3
Quote | Reply
Curious what people think a good target would be:

Previously Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa bike course - 2:32:30. Power @ 221w.
Wildflower - 2:47:10 @ 241w (I blew up on the run, but it's a DAMN tough course & heat).

My FTP is now 300. It is recommended that your 70.3 power is 75% of your FTP, so that puts me at 225w. But I feel that I can easily push more than 225w and still run really well off the bike.

What are your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [ShivDoinidis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are trying to be competitive in your AG, you just need to ride your ass off in 70.3s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just a guideline. If you feel you are leaving something on the run course after pushing 225 on the bike, then push harder. :)

I find I'm the opposite. If I push upwards of 80% on a hilly 70.3, I'm guaranteed leg cramps on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conventional wisdom says depending on how well trained you are you could go to 80% FTP, maybe slightly higher. But keep in mind that should be normalized power, not average power. Sounds like you found your limit so let that guide you.

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
75% on a 70.3 seems really low. I race full distance at 78-79% and 70.3 at like 87-88%. I run 1.25 to 1.28 for my 70.3 with a half marathon PB of 1:23:30. I think my FTP is at about 305W.

I thought a good recommendation was to do 180TSS for 70.3 and 280TSS for full distance.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok for the percentage. Then, this number should be for AP or NP?
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [Hoodoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s NP, my AP is like 10W lower

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically .82-.85 IF depending on you expected split. That assumes conditions aren't unreasonable and you ride a low VI.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teinvall wrote:
75% on a 70.3 seems really low. I race full distance at 78-79% and 70.3 at like 87-88%. I run 1.25 to 1.28 for my 70.3 with a half marathon PB of 1:23:30. I think my FTP is at about 305W.

I thought a good recommendation was to do 180TSS for 70.3 and 280TSS for full distance.

Your PBs are quick.
Your %s won't apply to slower athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.75 IF is most likely too conservative. Here is a chart designed by Dr. Skiba that you may find helpful

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
if you are trying to be competitive in your AG, you just need to ride your ass off in 70.3s.

no, you need to ride and run your ass off. and swim fast as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ShivDoinidis wrote:

Wildflower - 2:47:10 @ 241w (I blew up on the run, but it's a DAMN tough course & heat).

My FTP is now 300. It is recommended that your 70.3 power is 75% of your FTP, so that puts me at 225w. But I feel that I can easily push more than 225w and still run really well off the bike.

What are your thoughts?

i think if you rode a 2:32 off 221w you should look at your fit. (how much do you weigh?)

https://www.strava.com/.../288206/training/log

but the answer is: you need to ride hard enough to go fast, but easy enough to where you can still run fast. which, can be anywhere from 75-85%. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm usually right around 82% for NP in order to have a run I'm happy with. I've found that even a few percentage higher can lead to a much slower run time. The flatter the course, the closer AP will be to that 82%. At Quassy a couple of weeks ago I was at 263 AP and 281 NP. On a flatter course AP will be in the mid 270's.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a general question- how do you all monitor/track your NP during the race? On a hilly course I imagine this can be difficult. Do you have AP or NP as one of the data screens on your garmin (or other bike computer of choice)?
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkb wrote:
Just a general question- how do you all monitor/track your NP during the race? On a hilly course I imagine this can be difficult. Do you have AP or NP as one of the data screens on your garmin (or other bike computer of choice)?
I display both AP and NP on the Garmin 520 during a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlentzke wrote:
.75 IF is most likely too conservative. Here is a chart designed by Dr. Skiba that you may find helpful

This is a great chart. For "Average" is this NP or AP? What is meant by "power ceiling" -- is this the highest power you'd want to push for any sustained period of time (e.g., a 5 min climb), or the max you'd want your power to hit, period (i.e., 15 sec push up a hill)? It's a pretty tight window....
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That chart is referring to AP for each event distance based on Skiba's analysis of files from pro's and Agers in his book, "Triathletes Guide to Training w/Power".

A power ceiling is essentially where you want to cap your power for 2-3 minutes during the ride. You can determine your own power ceiling by doing a race simulation. but a For a 70.3 race sim, I would do a hard 40 mile ride @ target power and an 8 mile run @ target pace. If you can't run even splits and you're fueling is dialed, you rode too hard and should adjust.

But, dont take it as the gospel, this chart is just a really nice starting point.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
ShivDoinidis wrote:

What are your thoughts?

i think if you rode a 2:32 off 221w you should look at your fit. (how much do you weigh?)

https://www.strava.com/.../288206/training/log

It says "This athlete's training Training Log is private". And I follow you on Strava.

Are you trying to get more followers? You should just put that in your signature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That chart is total bs. Because, an amateur should hold 100% ftp on an Olympic? For a fast rider the Olympic bike leg is let's say an hour (pretty sure a lot of people on here don't break the 25 mile in an hour).
Ftp is max effort for an hour.
BUT you still need to run a 10K after max bike performance? AND you just swam a bit before?

If I had looked in the correct row however I would've seen that that describes power ceiling, not average

NO
Last edited by: Alabama Viking: Jun 19, 18 15:44
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're looking at the wrong column--.92-.95 is the recommendation. But again, this is just a guide.

Toro Performance
Last edited by: jlentzke: Jun 19, 18 15:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right. I should not read forums immediately after work.
I still think it's a bit steep for the short distance, but like you say it's a guideline, different for everyone

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hold roughly 94-98% my FTP for my 70.3 bike splits. I routinely go around 1:57-1:59 (if it's hilly).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I hold roughly 94-98% my FTP for my 70.3 bike splits. I routinely go around 1:57-1:59 (if it's hilly).

That seems fairly unlikely unless you then go for a nice 13.1 mile walk, or hand over the baton to the runner in your team! Are you sure your FTP is correct? If FTP is your 1 hour max, holding 98% of it for 2 hours shouldn't be possible, let alone being able to run afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
You're right. I should not read forums immediately after work.
I still think it's a bit steep for the short distance, but like you say it's a guideline, different for everyone

definitely just a guideline and something each athlete has to practice and determine what works best for them. Racing I definitely tend to end up going on the lower end of those ranges. I have my target ftp for a race but I definitely factor in how I'm feeling during the race and dial it back if I feel I'm pushing too hard. There can be a difference in indoor and outdoor ftp as well (trainerroad guys have discussed this on their podcast) just like ftp difference between aero position and standard. Many people's ftp outdoors can be a little higher compared to indoor but my, for whatever reason, tends to be a bit lower. Even last year when I had a coach for my IM, she had me do some outdoor rides at a certain ftp to dial in what my IM pace would be. A couple of those, I hit the wall on so we had to dial it back a little.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattage for 70.3 [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:57-1:59 for a 70.3 bike split. Are you the real starky?
Quote Reply

Prev Next