Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waterproof boots - keeping water out of the *top*
Quote | Reply
I had a very wet training ride yesterday; 4h in non-stop rain and on flooded roads. When I removed my waterproof winter boots I found myself pouring water out. There was probably a good cup of water sloshing around in there with each cold foot.

Anyone found a simple, reliable solution to stopping water running down the legs and in through the top of the boot, that doesn't also kill the blood circulation?

Ideas I'm tempted to try:
  • wrist section of the nitrile gloves I use when doing oily bike maintenance
  • ankle section of a swimming verruca sock (possibly too short)
  • drysuit ankle seal turned upside down

Quote Reply
Re: Waterproof boots - keeping water out of the *top* [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ride long enough in rain heavy enough, and your feet are going to get wet, no matter what you do. The best you can do is keep warm, and not let your feet go so wet they get macerated.

I would rather use normal shoes with drainage holes along with insulated overshoes, than winter boots. Yes your feet get wet, but they are not sitting in water. Also breadbags/freezer bags on feet. Keep the winter boots for dry cold conditions, not wet

Also, bib tights OVER overshoes (not under).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are are willing to ride in road shoes then it is not even a debate, Spatzwear Roadman. Bone dry warm feet even after hours in rain.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Waterproof boots - keeping water out of the *top* [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
If you are are willing to ride in road shoes then it is not even a debate, Spatzwear Roadman. Bone dry warm feet even after hours in rain.

Thanks David. Love the story on their website; especially as the prototypes were clearly made from Huub wetsuits :-)

I'm avoiding overshoes so far because the extra thickness means I end up scuffing my cranks - not a problem with the winter boots.

I also found these which look just the thing: https://www.gripgrab.com/...roducts/cyclingaiter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the rain long enough water will wick down whatever you are wearing. it's all about having a tall enough sock/cuff to delay the inevitable. I tried slathering a layer of vaseline, beeswax and even Born Protect over my lower leg and feet. Wool socks help, even when squishy wet.

I've always thought why not just dip my damn feet in Plastidip!!!!

winter boots rarely go up to calf, i've used sealskins up to the knee.

Castelli makes the RoS overshoe that is ridiculously tall but having seen it I may give it a go.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velotoze work great in the standard version, just be delicate with them. Or the new neoprene version for a bit warmer has a waterproof band on top specifically for this issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is where old-fashioned dead-tree newspapers beat out the intertubez. Sock, newspaper delivery bag, shoe. Tape the top of the bag to your leg with some packing tape (I shaved, so removal didn't hurt at all). Wool socks would absorb sweat & keep the feet warm. I guess a supermarket produce or doggie waste bag would be the modern equivalent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After years of UK commuting in all weathers, the only solution I found which reliably kept my feet totally dry was to wear sealed waterproof boots similar to yours, and then have waterproof overtrousers which went over the top of them. Not stylish or aero and overheating can be a challenge. Good for winter though, and for commuting I don't care about aero or style.

Rain resistant bibs like the Sportful NoRain were pretty much useless. Nice bit of beading when the first few drops fall, but the water gets through pretty quickly if the rain keeps up.

Have had a bit more luck with gaiters, but the water does get in eventually if you ride lung enough in heavy enough weather.

Problem as you found is that if water gets into those kind of boots then it can't get out again, and sloshing around in water-filled boots is much more unpleasant than just having wet feet in regular shoes with drainage holes. So if you're going to set out in those shoes you need to be pretty confident that either it's going to be dry or that you have good enough protection to keep the water out of the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear by a pair of these.

https://www.spatzwear.com/...ke-nothing-else-pro2

Into my second winter season with a pair now, hard wearing and they're about the only solution I've found that actually works beyond the first hour on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Waterproof boots - keeping water out of the *top* [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Spatz
Quote Reply