Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Watching TV and % FTP
Quote | Reply
I'm switching more to structured indoor training than outdoors and figured I would equally shift some TV viewing away from the lounge to the trainer. I've been surprised at how little TV either I want to or can watch. Can't watch TV and pay any attention to the show at or above 80% FTP on any kind of sustained basis and its 75% if it has any fluctuations and not steady state. Not sure if that relates to not previously doing as much indoors or if that's a common situation people find themselves in. Interested to hear what people's cut off is as a percentage of FTP where they need to concentrate and can't really watch TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [hodgey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can watch TV all day long at 85% FTP-- just did 1:15 on TR Sunday at 85%. Last night I did 108% intervals watching the whole way. So far 120% FTP is still TV watchable for me. Above that, the intervals are pretty short and usually I look away. I have been at this for a few years, though.

Edit: I should add that for my first 1-½ years, I was riding on a dumb trainer. It was far more difficult to ride to a high target power on a dumb trainer while watching TV. Plus, most of my TV had to be shows with mostly explosions and fighting. Anything with dialog was tough. If you are trying to watch Gilmore Girls on a trainer, give it up. Now that I am on a smart trainer and more accustomed, I can probably watch anything (except Gilmore Girls).
Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 26, 19 3:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find I can't do any useful training and watch TV simultaneously.
I gave up trying 2 years ago after a few sessions where I tried to watch movies while training and found I either had no idea what was happening in the movie, or my intensity was all over the place. I also don't use ERG mode, which I know is how most people combine the two, but I just don't like it. To be honest I think ERG mode and watching TV undermines some of the training benefit anyway. There is a mental aspect too IMO.

I use Zwift to provide some visual feedback and I find it makes a huge difference. It's not that it's dramatically entertaining, but it's a reflection of what you're doing, just like the terrain passing by on a real ride. I find that far preferable to TV.

I presume people only use TV to distract from the effort and pass the time? Surely they don't actually enjoy media watched while working hard?
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Surely they don't actually enjoy media watched while working hard?

Why not? I sure do. It’s where I do most of my Netflix and YouTube watching. I definitely enjoy it.

I do pause when I’m doing the short hard intervals above 100% but I feel that’s very similar to essentially “zoning out” during a hard climb or sprint effort on the road. I ain’t enjoying the scenery during those times either.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It fluctuates depending on how fatigued I am. I can watch TV at 90% FTP if I'm good, or 80-85% FTP if I'm finding the session mentally taxing.
Whereas my partner will watch TV doing 120% intervals. (I don't believe she's really paying attention though).
We both use TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My cutoff point is L2 / endurance level. Above L2 I will mute the TV (just like having it one instead of looking at a wall) and have earbuds with training tracks and those tracks are also selected by intensity. L5+ and I am listening to very intense music that I would never listen to apart from training.

Above mid L3 I find it hard to focus on the TV or movie plot if it gets too deep. I have been going back through the Vikings series again lately while recovering from an illness and spinning light. But I am almost over it and now it is time to ramp it up get back into the training music tracks. Hopefully
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll normally have something on but it's rare that I can really follow it even at Z2.

When the grand tours are on I'll see the majority of the stage whilst on the trainer but get the last 30 mins post-ride. Personally I really enjoy that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only watch triathlon or cycling events (sometimes running) at any FTP or I just drift off and have no idea what's going on.

When I watch the above I seem able to associate what I'm doing with what's on the screen whereas general entertainment shows can't keep my attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [JaRok2300] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things that don't require visually following the show as much work fine, lol. Did an hour at 91% the other day non-stop and sometimes would zone out with the eyes closed and listen to music then take a while watching them talk about the Duke player's shoe blowing out for 15 minutes.

Something like people spatting on Sportscenter or some other sports show works fine. GCN show sometimes works out fine for stuff under threshold.

Watch pro cyclists warm up at actual threshold (or more) for time trial. Those guys are huffing and sweating and focusing. If you can tell me they have to focus like that during that warmup as a professional but you can watch Gilmore girls at 100-120% no problem, there's a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
55% to 60% for me.

I watch and listen to sufferfest videos (even thought 99% of my workouts aren't sufferfest)... i just like the cycling and music :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on what type of show I'm watching. Sports I can have on while doing VO2max work, but I'm not really paying attention to the screen and just listening to what's happening. For sweetspot or threshold hold work, (80-100% FTP), I can watch some "junk" dramas or movies. Lately it's been The Americans and some of the Netflix Marvel series. Don't ever watch stuff while I ride that I want to actively watch and pay attention to.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Either there's a problem or one's FTP is incorrect :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TV is for easy rides. Music is for hard rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:

^WHS
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently got into watching music videos, only a couple minutes long and constantly changing with no need to follow along. Seems to help me.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [JasonD1430] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonD1430 wrote:
I recently got into watching music videos, only a couple minutes long and constantly changing with no need to follow along. Seems to help me.

Yes - I particularly like old concert videos. For example, I have 5 dvds of the old Live Aid concert....hours of entertainment.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider those tracks are also selected by intensity. [/quote wrote:

How do you achieve this? Specific app or tool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use trainer road and listen to Podcasts. I can pay attention during sweet spot intervals and lower. Power tests no way. It's hard for me during longer VO2 max efforts.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [gahddenbooi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gahddenbooi wrote:
Felt_Rider those tracks are also selected by intensity. [/quote wrote:

How do you achieve this? Specific app or tool?

Amazon Music app playlist is all. The songs were hand picked.

I have put together some preferred playlists and Amazon also has some cycling and interval specific playlists.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:

Yup... 100%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Zwift here; the visual feedback is motivating for me. I have to say that races are my favourite workout though, I struggle to hit the really high numbers unless I'm chasing or breaking-away!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Another vote for Zwift here; the visual feedback is motivating for me. I have to say that races are my favourite workout though, I struggle to hit the really high numbers unless I'm chasing or breaking-away!
Yep, that's me.
I can also hit high numbers if I'm chasing a personal best on a specific route or climb. It's about motivation.
I also think ERG mode undermines this and I don't find it appealing, at all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What helps me is to have subtittles on----just helps to both listen and read when the efforts get hard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watch junky serial shows. Ones where if I miss something it’s no big deal. I also turn on subtitles so I can read what I cannot hear during an interval (provided my eyes aren’t shut while grimacing in pain).

If it’s something I want to actual watch and enjoy or learn something from, the. I don’t do it on the trainer.

Maybe a recovery ride might allow me to watch something from beginning to end without missing anything... YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching TV and % FTP [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am same - I watch, and comprehend, TV and movies for every TR session other than FTP tests. It isn't easy when doing something like 125 FTP efforts for one minute each with 30 secs rest because one is distracted by keeping track of the on and off of the workout, but it isn't the intensity that is the limiter. But generally, the distraction makes the hard stuff go by faster.

I have been riding TR for about five years, three to five times a week, so maybe I am used to it, but I don't recall any learning curve.

The trainer is the only place I get to watch TV - I look forward to "my shows" at workout time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next