Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watching Boston Marathon
Quote | Reply
I am watching my wife run this year and have never been there before. I was trying to figure out the best ways to see her (more than once preferably). Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get around and where to watch?
Quote Reply
Re: Watching Boston Marathon [Elktonkool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your best bet: Pick one spot and tell her you'll be there and watch her there.

Option #2. Commuter Rail (Framingham/Worcester line) You could watch her as far out as Ashland (3 miles into the race) and then take the train inbound. The train parallels the course all the way till Wellesley Hills (Mile 15-ish) so you would have a few options along the way, including Framingham (10k mark), Natick (10 mile mark), Wellesley Center (13.1 miles), and Wellesley Hills. Beyond that it still basically parallels the course but the stations are as far as a mile or more away from the marathon route. But if you keep going inbound you'll come Yawkey station which is basically Kenmore Square (mile 25).

But then you would need to be aware of the schedules (check MBTA.com). And it's quite possible that others have the same idea. Nice thing about Ashland is that .

Option #3. A bicycle and decent knowledge of the area. You could still watch at a few places.

Option #4. Just use the subway Green Line. The earliest you could watch her would be mile 17 (Woodland Station) but then you could also go into Cleveland Circle (mile 22.5) and to Kenmore Square. But this options is very popular (read: crowded)

If it were me and I had to see someone more than once, I would use my bicycle.
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 30, 18 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: Watching Boston Marathon [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cheered on my gf two years ago and this was what I did.

I took an uber with her to the athlete shuttle location at Hopkinton State Park. Watched her finish getting ready. Took some pics and video for family back home and then took an uber to just past the 10k mark. The corner of Waverly St & Concord was a great viewing location. There is even a Dunkin Donuts (334 Waverly St, Framingham, MA 01702) a quick walk away to grab coffee, breakfast etc until the runners start to make their way down.

After she went by I jumped on another uber to get just past the half way mark. This was basically right where Washington, Grove, and Central all meet. Reference point address (555 Washington St #1, Wellesley, MA 02482) , Once she went by I jumped on the train at the Wellesley Square station right across the street. Got off at Back Bay Station and was able to get right along the course about 100m from the finish line.

So I was able to see her off, see her at the 10k mark, again at the halfway point, and at the finish. I don't think its logistically possible to see a runner anymore than that unless they are really taking their time. I think she went like 4:10 on the day, to give you an idea of pacing and how much time I had to get where I needed to be for each location.

Have fun!
Last edited by: Mugen_EP: Mar 30, 18 17:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve run it a couple times...my family didn’t want to do the green line thing(although that sounds like a great idea...) so they stationed themselves in Kenmore Square.It was easy for them to get there and then get themselves to the finish/family meet up area after.A family friend went to Wellesley(halfway point) and that was easy in and out .Wherever you decide just let her know where you’ll be so she can look out for you.It is crowded along much of the course.
I grew up there and have fond memories of going to spectate as a kid.It’s such an amazing day there.
Quote Reply
Re: Watching Boston Marathon [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mugen_EP wrote:
There is even a Dunkin Donuts (334 Waverly St, Framingham, MA 01702) a quick walk away to grab coffee, breakfast etc

that's basically anywhere in MA pal;) I F'in love Dunkin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSvNhxKJJyU
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Mar 31, 18 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The green line thing could work, but I wouldn't count on it to see someone multiple times. IME that area around Woodland, and up to and a little past the firehouse (the turn onto Comm Ave) is a really great place. The crowds are there and a lot of fun, but you can still get a decent spot and can bring a bag for lunch and stuff. Plus your runner might be needing some motivation then! My suggestion to people is usually to take the T to Woodland (D Line), walk up onto Comm Ave a bit, and park there for as long as you want. Bring a lunch, watch the front of the field, then once your runner passes, head back to the T. If you won't be waiting for a train too long (download the "Transit" app to track trains and delays), and your runner isn't really fast you could get off at the Beaconsfield stop and catch them towards the top of Beacon St. If they are fast, your best bet is to go up to Kenmore. From there take the T downtown to meet up after the race. Alternatively, find yourself a proper brunch spot in the South End, and booze up until they finish!
Quote Reply
Re: Watching Boston Marathon [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Your best bet: Pick one spot and tell her you'll be there and watch her there.

Option #2. Commuter Rail (Framingham/Worcester line) You could watch her as far out as Ashland (3 miles into the race) and then take the train inbound. The train parallels the course all the way till Wellesley Hills (Mile 15-ish) so you would have a few options along the way, including Framingham (10k mark), Natick (10 mile mark), Wellesley Center (13.1 miles), and Wellesley Hills. Beyond that it still basically parallels the course but the stations are as far as a mile or more away from the marathon route. But if you keep going inbound you'll come Yawkey station which is basically Kenmore Square (mile 25).

But then you would need to be aware of the schedules (check MBTA.com). And it's quite possible that others have the same idea. Nice thing about Ashland is that .

Option #3. A bicycle and decent knowledge of the area. You could still watch at a few places.

Option #4. Just use the subway Green Line. The earliest you could watch her would be mile 17 (Woodland Station) but then you could also go into Cleveland Circle (mile 22.5) and to Kenmore Square. But this options is very popular (read: crowded)

If it were me and I had to see someone more than once, I would use my bicycle.

Options 2-4 also come into play if she wanted to cut the course at some point

Does she have any double letters in her name?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Watching Boston Marathon [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if she wanted to split an Uber with me at some point, I could at least save a little coin. We are both heading the same direction anyway.

Seriously though, thank you all for the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CR is the best bet. Framingham station is directly on the route, right at the 10k point.

The next station is W Natick. Again pretty close to the course - less than a block. It's a 5 minute train ride, but she'd have to hit EXACTLY right to make both of the stops.

Next is Natick Center, 2.5 block off the course. Just about the 10 mile mark. 5 minute train from West Natick.

Wellseley Square is on the course. 4 minutes further.
Wellseley Hill is on the course. 4 minutes
Wellseley Farms is 6 block off the course.
Auburndale is even further off. West Newton, Newtonville, and Boston Landing is even worse

Yawkey is about a block off the course. Depending on the train, it's 45 minutes from Framingham to Yawkey.
Back Bay is 2 blocks from the finish line. If you watch the start, you aren't going to get a decent space by the finish line...

This is the schedule for Patroits Day: https://www.mbta.com/...able?date=2018-04-16
Quote Reply