Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watched a Riding Buddy Get Hit by a Car
Quote | Reply
Buddy is fine. His rear wheel is not (basically snapped in half). We were on a dedicated bike path and were crossing an intersection. Motorist had appeared to stop to give us the intersection. Right as my buddy rode in front of said car, the motorist pulled forward quickly. Turns out the motorist didn’t see us despite our large array of lights. Ironic part is that the motorist was a fellow cyclist. He admitted he was on his phone and not paying attention.

One thing of note is that my buddy is an ardent mountain biker. His handling skills (miraculously) allowed him to stay upright. Given the nature of the intersection and traffic flow at that time, if he had not stayed upright things could have been far, far worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Watched a Riding Buddy Get Hit by a Car [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no vid, man... /nevermind - i thought the title said "Watch"

glad he's ok
Last edited by: d00d: Oct 19, 18 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
He admitted he was on his phone and not paying attention.

It’d be interesting to know how many accidents are due to people on their phones. I’d guess it far outweighs drinking. It’s only going to get worse and worse

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Watched a Riding Buddy Get Hit by a Car [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
no vid, man... /nevermind - i thought the title said "Watch"

glad he's ok

right ... this thread did not deliver!
Quote Reply
Re: Watched a Riding Buddy Get Hit by a Car [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
He admitted he was on his phone and not paying attention.

It’d be interesting to know how many accidents are due to people on their phones. I’d guess it far outweighs drinking. It’s only going to get worse and worse

https://globalnews.ca/...ired-driving-deaths/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad your friend is okay. That's the scary thing about any intersection. I always try to make eye contact as there are so many drivers who do the "pump fake" stop just for show but aren't actually looking to see if the road is clear before lurching forward again. I'm guessing this was at night, or sometimes you just can't see the driver's eyes...so those are the times I kind of hold my breath. It's easy to slow down when you're by yourself...but when riding with other people you don't want to just grab your brakes just because you didn't make eye contact and cause a pile up because your friend behind you thought you would just roll through at speed.

Cell phones and all of this technology in cars these days are huge problems. I have a 2017 car with Apple CarPlay and a touch screen display. It's just as distracting as having your phone in your hand. It gives you a false sense of security that what you're doing is legal, so it's not dangerous. I've had to catch myself many times resisting the urge to change my playlist while driving where my previous car I didn't have the option to as I didn't even have a port to plug my phone in other than to charge it.

Hopefully a very reliable version of the self driving car will be out soon because I can't see people suddenly turning into better drivers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good decade or two ago, I was doing loops of a residential neighborhood with some cycling teammates. At one point, Bill got a gap on me that I couldn't close. We came up on a left turn at which we had the right of way, but a car coming from our left blew through the stop sign and hit Bill, sending him over the hood and leaving a calf mark on the front bumper. Had I been on his wheel, I'd have T-boned that car at 30mph on the passenger side. I got to watch it unfold (I saw the car not stopping, but not in time to warn Bill).

(Bill suffered a broken leg/ankle and a trashed bike. The young woman driving was hysterical, as one could imagine.)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Watched a Riding Buddy Get Hit by a Car [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Glad your friend is okay. That's the scary thing about any intersection. I always try to make eye contact as there are so many drivers who do the "pump fake" stop just for show but aren't actually looking to see if the road is clear before lurching forward again. I'm guessing this was at night, or sometimes you just can't see the driver's eyes...so those are the times I kind of hold my breath. It's easy to slow down when you're by yourself...but when riding with other people you don't want to just grab your brakes just because you didn't make eye contact and cause a pile up because your friend behind you thought you would just roll through at speed.

Cell phones and all of this technology in cars these days are huge problems. I have a 2017 car with Apple CarPlay and a touch screen display. It's just as distracting as having your phone in your hand. It gives you a false sense of security that what you're doing is legal, so it's not dangerous. I've had to catch myself many times resisting the urge to change my playlist while driving where my previous car I didn't have the option to as I didn't even have a port to plug my phone in other than to charge it.

Hopefully a very reliable version of the self driving car will be out soon because I can't see people suddenly turning into better drivers.

It was early this morning but still plenty of light. The problem was the windows were tinted so dark we couldn’t see the driver.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 19, 18 12:13
Re: Watched a Riding Buddy Get Hit by a Car [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
A good decade or two ago, I was doing loops of a residential neighborhood with some cycling teammates. At one point, Bill got a gap on me that I couldn't close. We came up on a left turn at which we had the right of way, but a car coming from our left blew through the stop sign and hit Bill, sending him over the hood and leaving a calf mark on the front bumper. Had I been on his wheel, I'd have T-boned that car at 30mph on the passenger side. I got to watch it unfold (I saw the car not stopping, but not in time to warn Bill).

(Bill suffered a broken leg/ankle and a trashed bike. The young woman driving was hysterical, as one could imagine.)

See, to me I cannot understand how we can with a good conscience put people in jail who steal a television but take a pass on someone like that lady.

Hysterical? Sure. But she broke the law and severely hurt someone.

I’m assuming she probably got nothing but a slap for the incident. As is the norm.
Quote Reply
Re: Watched a Riding Buddy Get Hit by a Car [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It was early this morning but still plenty of light. The problem was the windows were tinted so dark we couldn’t see the driver.[/quote]

Yes, (illegal) window tint is a problem....you can't see when the driver looks away or down at his cell phone.

Do not understand why Law Enforcement is so lenient about this (same with front license plates).

Don't really need to see others getting hit...already replaying my films enough during my own nightmares.
.[/quote]
THIS. So true. I see so many of these driver's side window tinted almost to complete black out. There's no telling what those people are going to do. How is this allowed????
Quote Reply
Re: Watched a Riding Buddy Get Hit by a Car [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hitting a cyclist in most states gets you a hefty traffic fine provided you stick around to receive said fine...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply