Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali?
Quote | Reply
I just watched Bob's interview with Jan. Jan relays his side of the story (Ali changed out his tire and then cussed me out for not waiting for him) and Bob chuckles at him saying, "Oh come on this is an Ironman!" Later in the interview he makes some dumb joke about a bumblebee being planted by Ali. Based on the tone and sentiment Bob took when discussing Ali you would have thought they were talking about an age-grouper. I didn't care for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh, I agree with him about it being an Ironman. You catch a flat tire, tough luck. Truth is Frodo and TO didnā€™t need Aliā€™s help to pull the rest of the way. I think he may have thought they needed him to help pull, they didnā€™t.

The part about the bee was pretty funny I thought, especially in light of the fact that Frodo had just explained how Ali acted after he flatted. The bee getting in Frodoā€™s face compared to Ali on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't take those two comments the way you did in the slightest.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Meh, I agree with him about it being an Ironman. You catch a flat tire, tough luck. Truth is Frodo and TO didnā€™t need Aliā€™s help to pull the rest of the way. I think he may have thought they needed him to help pull, they didnā€™t.

The part about the bee was pretty funny I thought, especially in light of the fact that Frodo had just explained how Ali acted after he flatted. The bee getting in Frodoā€™s face compared to Ali on the bike.
This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to watch the interview again. You can clearly see that in the light of the interview it was just jokingly placed by Bob and I actually found it pretty funny. I sincerely donā€™t think it was meant disrespectful.
And I think it is somewhat silly from Ali to think they, Frodo and TO, would or should wait after he flatted.
Why would this be any different here then in short course racing. Even if he expected this he shouldnā€™t have shouted it to him/them.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did anyone wait for Frodo when he flattened the first time he went to Kona (2014??)? Don't think he complained much about it either.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't the TdF. I don't get the "waiting" complaint by AB. There were other threats in the race they needed to bike away from (potentially), and they didn't need him to help pull them home.

I don't recall many, if any, other times when people very obviously waited for a person with a mechanical... maybe I want paying enough attention.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope; nothing to see here.

Kienleā€™s morning-after BWB is another story. Interesting insights on Wurf and Sanders in particular, along with great perspective on his own career. Kudos to SK for making the interview interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

Why are we assuming that Jan's one-sided version of the events are accurate?

Jan's version is that Ali said, hey you jerks should have waited for me and now my feelings are hurt. Ali's version could be something like, "Do I need to remind you that I pulled your ass around the course for 4 years before you realized you'd never beat me?" He said something in the heat of the moment because he was pissed about a flat. I have a problem with Ali Brownlee, one of the fiercest and and greatest triathlete to ever live, being portrayed as some wimpy crybaby-ninny.

My opinion is that what happens inside the lines stays between competitors. Maybe I'm not mad at Bob for it, maybe I'm mad at Jan for bringing it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Nope; nothing to see here.

Kienleā€™s morning-after BWB is another story. Interesting insights on Wurf and Sanders in particular, along with great perspective on his own career. Kudos to SK for making the interview interesting.

i'll give it a listen but Give me the cliff's notes version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Parkland wrote:
My opinion is that what happens inside the lines stays between competitors. Maybe I'm not mad at Bob for it, maybe I'm mad at Jan for bringing it up.

When you win you have that luxury. When you come in 21st you don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam did all the work on the bike, is unorthodox but getting better fast.

Sanders has all the pieces and just needs the confidence to put it together.

Some other good nuggets on Jan and TO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the impression that Alistair had the idea that their little 'group' was kind of working together. They had been for 2 1/2 hours so he figured, with somewhat a subconcious resemblance to ITU racing, that they would work together to keep Wurf, Kienle and Sanders at bay.

But as has been mentioned here, he did not realise Frodeno and TO didn't really need him so they would not be interested in waiting the least bit.

With regards to Frodeno, even though he comes off as a 'nice guy' he had an edge as I have experienced meeting him in person, with regards to holding back any 'punches' with his opinions.

Also, did you guys see Alistair bumping into Jan during Jan's post interview and Jan shooting him more than a 'what was that' glance back as if waiting for some apology that a groggy Alistair would not be providing.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

When you win you have that luxury. When you come in 21st you don't.

Typically people who hold the opinion that winning gives license to be an ass cry about a lack of respect when it is their turn to finish 21st (I am not talking about you, I am talking about Frodo).

I guess I cannot wait until next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AB was the king of calling out competitors through the media. He did it for years in itu. Just about every post race interview ā€œthose wankers wouldnā€™t do any workā€.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of opining here on Ali this Ali that, but I though it was funny as hell when that giant black bee came in and buzzed him. And when Bob called it Allistar, I thought it hilarious, thinking about the bump in his German interview. I mean all that was already out there and a buzz so to speak, so good on Bob for some quick thinking.

Sorry you all didn't get that and are making it seem like something more nefarious. It was frigging funny...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
AB was the king of calling out competitors through the media. He did it for years in itu. Just about every post race interview ā€œthose wankers wouldnā€™t do any workā€.

That's because in most of the itu races for 6+ years most of the wankers didn't do any work.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Sanders has all the pieces and just needs the confidence to put it together.

I donā€™t think so. Injury set him back big time and he started the season too late in the game. If he had another month to train, that would have been a different story.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't matter how long he has to train, the only way he beats Jan is if Jan has an off day. Jan is a much better swimmer, equal on the bike and a better runner, sure Lionel can get a podium, but he suffers from the same problems as many else on the starting field, the only way they win is if Frodo has an off day. Imo the only one who is currently racing IM who has the ability to beat Jan on his best day, is Ali, even though he needs some work to perfect his IM. He is the only one who can match his swim, bike and run, and has the potential to run far quicker than Jan or anyone else on the IM circuit.

Terrible Tuesdayā€™s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Doesn't matter how long he has to train, the only way he beats Jan is if Jan has an off day. Jan is a much better swimmer, equal on the bike and a better runner, sure Lionel can get a podium, but he suffers from the same problems as many else on the starting field, the only way they win is if Frodo has an off day. Imo the only one who is currently racing IM who has the ability to beat Jan on his best day, is Ali, even though he needs some work to perfect his IM. He is the only one who can match his swim, bike and run, and has the potential to run far quicker than Jan or anyone else on the IM circuit.
I fear we will never find out if that is true. Sure, Jan will give Kona at least one more go, but I doubt AB will be able to reach his prime Ironman form and race tactics next year already. He will certainly be better if he puts his mind to it, but Jan has perfected his Ironman prep and race strategies over several years and currently seems to be his best self. Even a rare talent like Alistair will need a couple of years to master long course racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [ChDoyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need Ali? Jan said he didnā€™t take a pull at the front after 20miles... he was not wanted or needed.

Listened to Rapp talking about the ā€œoptimalā€ breakaway group. 3-5 people max. More and people canā€™t move up or drop off to let others go. Also bigger groups end up slowing down. Very interesting

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree but donā€™t complain about one using the media when talking about race dynamics when he did it for years.

Of course my all time favorite was when he ran fastest 10k off the bike and replied ā€œIā€™ve only been run training 2 weeks post injuryā€. Kitzbuhl 2013 or ā€˜14 I believe. It wasnā€™t the uphill bike leg race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Was Bob disrespectful towards Ali? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just quoting Sebi. Good to know the two of you see it differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ali seems like his own worst enemy. Complains after his flat out on the course then does the dick move bumping Frodo while being interviewed. He like so many others got his a$$ handed to him on the first trip to the island. Learn and move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's waiting for folks that flat in a non-draft legal race? Who knew?
Quote Reply

Prev Next