Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
War against evil motorists!!!!!
Quote | Reply
I mean against those who try and take our numbers out. I am wishing to start a new organisation and call it something like "Cyclist Jihaad". Maybe "Cyclists Defence"

I think we need to develop technology to mount very small digital cameras on the handlebars to snap photos of license plates of offending motorists and even photograph them in the act. If the law doesn't take care of them, then the group can, by any legal means necessary.

We should conduct ourselves like ladies and gentlemen, including following all traffic laws. We should also become lobbyists against bike trails and lobby for bike lanes installed on the roads. I do not ride a bicycle, but I pilot a bike. We should all think of ourselves as the engine and guidance system for the bikes we pilot.

I feel very strongly as the anti-cyclist sentiment has been getting worse by the year. I have been lucky enough to only be honked at and a few one-finger salutes this year, but as the summer wears on, the encounters will be a lot worse. I have had some near-misses with cars, usually because the motorists are not looking, which is NO EXCUSE. We must mobilise and become a force to be reckonned with. We must make people pay for their actions. The man in Florida has proven that we are not safe on the roads. A severe accident I had due to the narrow bike paths prove that they are unsafe and HIGHLY dangerous, and the government wants to relegate us to the paths.

I don't even mind having licenses for us and making people pass a test to pilot a bike on public roads. This could prove that we're serious.

Any one who wishes to join in this effort can e mail me at velobunny@aol.com.
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[u]Legal?

I'm still sticking with my Pump shotgun idea. Or maybe an aerobar mounted machine gun, you know, maybe an old World War II Gateline gun. I got your cycling respect right here buddy.....

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with you as a cyclist.

However, we must be aware that there are many dumb-ass riders out there as well.

I'm amazed at guys in my own riding group who don't understand "car back". Get the f*ck to the right dude! I'm not yelling it for fun!

In the spring here, there is a huge SAG supported 300km ride. I happened to be driving on the highway that day... the riders were 4 abreast at some points... riding in the traffic lane! Friggin morons... they are asking to be hit.

I could go on and on...

What's my point? People are stupid, whether your in car or on a bike.

Train safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that there has been a societal trend over the last 20 or so years to care less and less for our fellow man/woman with a concurrent decrease in common sense.

How else to explain why a man would cross over a double yellow line at the back of a long line of cars to, what - move up one car in the line?

How else to explain the Jet Ski driver who tells you to "*&%$ -off", when you kindly ask him to take his noisy, pollution belching and dangerous driving away from where you are open water swimming.

How else to explain the helmetless ATV driver illegaly driving on and damaging hiking trails who calls you a "jerk" when you ask him politly what exactly he is doing.

Years ago, when I was out running near my cottage, every few cars would stop and ask me if I was OK or I needed help. Or if I was changing a flat on my bike see if I was OK or needed help or a lift. I thought this odd, but people definately seemed to notice and care. Now, gas guzzling, dust throwing, gagantuan SUV's roar along the roads with little care or concern. Do they even see the runners or cyclists?

There has definately been a paridigm shift in the past 20 years or so. Sad really!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [paul cusick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty amazing. These guys are actually advocating attempted murder and it seems nobody is batting an eye. Anyone who aims their car at me, swerves at me, or otherwise attempts to hit me with thier car is considered by me to be attempting to take my life. I consider it no different than someone waving a loaded gun in my face, actually trying to hit me is the same as pulling the trigger. People who actually do this have no business living free in a civilized society.
Last edited by: Pooks: Jul 10, 03 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
isn't there a possible legal action to this?
after all, if you are a damn racist who say
"put whatever race you want here" should be killed
, then it is not any different, and I am sure legal
action is possible...
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just last night I had a old *ucker in a Suburban HIT ME (with his fist) on the side of the road....asshole. He is lucky I did not drag his old ass out of the truck and beat him back to 1934

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's reason enough to warrant carrying a frame pump again...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sent this to that ridiculous station. . .like it will do any good. . .

"As someone who recently survived a serious accident in which I was hit by a motorist while out training on a bicycle, I am appalled to learn that you are allowing childish and irresponsible dialogue on air purporting to advocate aggressive and illegal acts against cyclists. As a member of the armed forces that protect your freedoms, including your freedom of speech, I am appalled that you would spend my sacrifices so cheaply and selfishly for the sake of a bit of ill humor. With freedom and rights comes responsibility. I challenge you to spend a painful day in my shoes before you consider airing further dialogue denigrating cyclists. I challenge you to stand in front of the families shattered by the death of a loved one at the wheels of an irresponsible or law-breaking motorist and cast your jokes about cyclists. The acts you advocate, whether jokingly or not, constitute assault or murder if the offending motorist succeeds in injuring or killing a cyclist. I am not a target. I am someone like you who enjoys the freedoms of this land. One of my freedoms includes the freedom and legal right to operate my bicycle on the road, obeying the same traffic laws as you do in your vehicle, except where illegal such as interstates."
Quote Reply
Calling all lawyers [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is anybody here involved in law in anyway? Maybe someone here could shed some legal light on this. And maybe, just maybe, send the station a nice little warning. By the way, who's for arming up?

-

Quote Reply
Re: Calling all lawyers [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having the answer of someone with a solid law background was the intent of my post...

do you mean arming up as: all the cyclists go altogether to whoever is responsible and say hey, we are not targets, do something
or
do you mean arming up as: carry weapons?

solution 1. yes definitely.

solution 2. seems like a recipe for disaster.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all lawyers [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry about that. I guess solution two got a little carried away. Maybe just carry a can of spray paint. When some one buzzes you you just give them a nice little detail job.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling all lawyers [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, I am in Texas,...carry paint spray use it, and they pull out a gun....carry a gun, back to solution 2...

though, if anyone is willing to start on solution 1...I am in!
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all lawyers [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just read the first chapter to LA's upcoming book- available at his site.

has quite the litte blurb about the war against the rednecks. spoiler: one guy pulls a knife! go read it.

i've been lucky here in maine, subject only to one "FAGGOT!", and a guy in a van yelling at me asking if i could go any faster, etc. i was wearing sandles on my clipless pedals in that situation, so it was a little warranted. all for the effort, i am!

darrell
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all lawyers [hcswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, the "faggot" game keeps me entertained. On each ride I like to see how long I go before some jackass yells "faggot" at me as he blows by. Last Sunday I held out until mile 75 but got a reprise from another driver at mile 80. It actually always makes me laugh. Sometimes I guess I take pleasure in how freaking stupid people can be. It never ceases to impress me that people who would never insult me to my face suddenly get courage at 40+ mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all lawyers [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that once going down a pass in NM...some moron saying just at the top the climb:
get off the road with your slow bike...

then the downhill is a bit techie, I caught him, and with his opened window he could distinctly hear
get off the road with your slow car...

sweet revenge. of course, now that I am recovering from a nasty crash I realize that some risks should not be taken considering my handling skills downhill...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is not the first time that a radio station has advocated murder.

Why did I think of calling my group "Cyclist Jihaad"? Because these people don't think I (or anyone else) has the right to practise my religion of cycling. They are as bad as the Taliban or al Qaida, if not worse. And they call us the "Land of the Free". Let us ride our bikes, you bloody idiots!!!!

I may not call it "Jihaad", but I feel that the fervor of such is needed, while acting as ladies and gentlemen and expecting anyone on a bike to behave similarly.

Other advocate groups are not tough enough. This is why I wish to start my own. I do not want to eliminate the motor vehicle, I do not even want to eliminate the SUV. I am not a political radical of any type. I just want other cyclists and I to be ladies and gentlemen treated like ladies and gentlemen or serious consequences will result.
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with you. This is why I am for making people need a license to ride a bike on a public road. Pass a test. I am also for outing terrible cycling behaviour and ridiculing it, as they make my life hell as a cyclist.

Ladies and gentlemen who expect to be treated like ladies and gentlemen or serious consequences will result. That's what I want my group to be about.

I just want to be in a much stronger group who will do something rather than collect money and give you a card with your name on it. Anybody can do that.

And I want us to be accountable for our actions, as well. Police ourselves so we can have a much nicer experience on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody has any manner these days. I always open a door for a person, and can you believe how few thank yous I recieve? How 'bout holding the door and getting to hold it for a full five minutes? How 'bout holding open a door and someone opens another one?

People are rude, and I am sick of it. The lack of living and letting live with cyclists who pilot bikes on a public road is the tip of the iceberg. People don't know "please", "thank you" and the like.

I consider myself a gentleman and will continue to do the gentlemanly things. That includes facing down a motorist mano-mano, out of the protection of his car/truck/SUV. I will thank him for letting me kick his butt, and call an ambulance afterwards. I will need to clean my fur thoroughly afterwards, as I don't like mucky in my fur. But generally, they are way too cowardly to do mano-mano, generally have small appendages in the lower abdomen, and resort to guns, knives, or will chase you down in their vehicle. Better to have their license plate photgraphed; and if the police don't do anything, do it ourselves.

Ladies and gentlemen expecting to be treated as ladies and gentlemen or serious consequences will result. I think that could be my motto.
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didja get his license plate number? If the police won't get him, HUNT HIM DOWN AT HIS HOUSE. I won't say what to do from there, nor do I advocate doing anything illegal (unless it could be charged as a misdemeanor).

Be militant. He is infringing on your right to pilot a bike. Don't abdicate your rights. Be sure to be gentlemanly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
.... I think we need to develop technology to mount very small digital cameras on the handlebars to snap photos of license plates of offending motorists and even photograph them in the act. If the law doesn't take care of them, then the group can, by any legal means necessary.

Even though I live in relatively cycle-friendly Switzerland, I've been thinking about something similar. As every year, I had a couple of near misses in Spring and there are the regular annoyances like temporary traffic signs in the middle of bicycle paths etc.

Here, the perfect solution is to use a GSM portable phone with built in camera, not only are they cheap, you can immediately send the photographs "off site" with MMS. With other words there is no point for a photographed offender to try and get your camera since the evidence has already been saved (a further extension of this idea is to arrange third-party verification of time, date and sender, or automatically forward the pictures to the police).

Sadly the States are rather far behind Europe in portable phone technology, so it's probably not really practical for you right now.

Simon
Last edited by: simon: Jul 10, 03 23:01
Quote Reply
Here is an email from the station in response... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taken from www.trinewbies.com - www.trinewbies.com/phorum/thread-view.asp?threadid=10230&posts=2

"July 10th 2003

Thank you for your e-mail message regarding recent Lanigan & Malone broadcasts on WMJI.

The Lanigan & Malone show has a strong following of listeners that enjoy our tongue-in-cheek approach to humor. Recently, some of our callers and on-air personalities discussed cyclists and road rules. During a lively discussion, comments were made which we felt were humorous in nature, and we think most of our regular listeners understood these comments in context. However, in retrospect, let us be perfectly clear. We do not advocate any harm to cyclists. It was not and is not our intent to provoke violence towards cyclists. In fact WMJI supports cycling events through sponsorships and promotions.

Many responses we have received appear to be from people who did not hear the program and who received an inaccurate account of what was said and the context of the show. We choose not to rebut any misrepresentations. Instead, we simply extend our apologies if you were offended.

Again, we truly regret offending anyone who misunderstood our satirical exchange with callers. Our intent is to offer a public forum for the cares and concerns of our listeners and to entertain through humor. Please feel free to write or phone me in the event I can be of service.

Best regards,

Dave Popovich
Program Director
WMJI/Majic 105.7
216-520-2600"

Doesn't appear they feel any remorse or regret at all over their statements.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: War against evil motorists!!!!! [simon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that MANY of you will not AT ALL agree with me. But, I have found that if a driver of a car is causing an issue that is a real danger to me (meaning throwing things, swerving with a very purposful manner) or otherwise making their point clear that they intend to make me "think" they will harm me. (Yes I know that most only think that they are funny). Well...I break out their window. Last year I punched out 3 car windows while on my bike, hit another person in the face with a "Fast Ball Watterbottle". Not once did I have any legal issues at all. The way I see it...if some fat loach wants to fight me, and harm me (first) - what I do from that point forward is self protection.

A few years ago I sued (and won) a woman who thought it would be funny to swerve at me...and I was in a bicycle lane. Well, she hit me. I think that she ended up bankrupt. I got over $10k from her insurance company, $5k from her directly (paid over months from the County Clerks office).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Legal solution (at least in California) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall reading a story in Road & Track (car magazine) that pointed out a law on the books in the peoples republic of California. It turns out that ANYONE can file a citizens complaint against the driver of a vehicle. If the driver does not respond, they lose their license; no different than if a police officer wrote a ticket that required a court appearance.

The solution in other parts of the US is to lobby for similar laws. Let's face it, there is no way to adequately enforce traffic laws. Giving citizens the right to file a complaint against another driver would go a long way toward eliminating rude/dangerous/malicious behaviour on the roads.
Quote Reply

Prev Next