Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Walmart steps it up.
Quote | Reply
http://www.walmart.com/...5-module80491-rLink1

Who would thunk?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thought of hitting 40mph on a bike assembled by walmart's "expert mechanics" does not sit well...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and make sure you pick up one of the Aero helmets for $17.

And what about these statements:

Assembled in Country of Origin: Italy Origin of Components: Italy

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wal-Mart is in the process of ruining my small town. I have never shopped at Wal-Mart and never will.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What? Slip over to the Lavender room and explain that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you expound on that idea some? I've never lived in a small town and would like to better understand in what ways walmarts affect them.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walmart puts over priced mom and pops with painfully small selections of goods out of buisness by offering more choice cheaper. Small towns fight off Walmart and watch there town squares die because people will drive over 30 miles to go to Walmart. The town dries up but hey at least they don't have a Walmart.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its not the prices dumbass, it is the fact that every god damn hillbilly for 30 miles comes to my town now. they never did before wal-mart was here. I went from a rural area with one stoplight surrounded by very nice homes on 2 golf couses, to a full blown hillbilly circus all because wal-mart saw a few nice houses and a good exit ramp and decided to put a monstrosity there.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the hell are you talking about? Prices? Hilllbillys? Sounds to me like you and your nieghborhood of NIMBYs got alll pissy because now civics and rangers are on your golf course streets. "Smelly little people! Do you not know who I am!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Walmart puts over priced mom and pops with painfully small selections of goods out of buisness by offering more choice cheaper. Small towns fight off Walmart and watch there town squares die because people will drive over 30 miles to go to Walmart. The town dries up but hey at least they don't have a Walmart.
i was just stating that these are not all the reasons small towns hate wal-mart

I probably could have done without the dumbass line.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Last edited by: Erik Clark: Jul 12, 07 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's no Wal-Mart in SF.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do I begin?

1. We have three huge Walmart's within a 20 minute drive of our house already in adjacent communities. Now they want to put one on the edge of our town about 5 - 10 minute drive away.

2. The entire project is based on the assumption that everyone will drive to the Wal-Mart - they are installing a massive 2,000 car parking lot. What happens if the price of gas doubles or triples in 2 - 3 years? Will people still drive? How sustainable over a 20+ year horizon is this sort of development?

3. The secondary roads that are in the area will become completely backed up with traffic. It's already moderately heavy in the area, but still flowing well.

4. The land, once rich farmland where the project is, was desginated for a high-income office park. Wal- Mart was able finangle a zoning change to their needs, so now this massive parcel of land will become a giant parking lot with low-income minimum-wage jobs adjacent

5. Within a 5 minute walk or bike ride of my house( note I do not have to use my car fior much) are all the services and stores that I want/need. I am concerned for these stores and shops livelyhood. If some of them go out of business, then I and many others will have to use cars to shop for basic needs and other stuff. I thought this was supposed to be about using the car less not more!!

6. Mid-way through the planning Wal Mart wanted to have the zoning changed again. Now they wanted to ad a Grocery store. The town of 35,000 is already served by 5 great grocery stores, that I note are never really busy and seem to be doing fine. I am concerned about their lively hood and why we need a 6th huge, Wal Mart sized grocery store.

Need more reasons?

Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 12, 07 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - made in Italy, got to love the rules in Italy!!!! Even the Shimano parts are made in Italy! (according to the WalMart site)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [ItalianWalmartCarbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changed your username for you...time to ditch that planet x for some real quality?

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
read this book if you're interested in the effect Walmart is having on not only the US economy, but the global economy. Read the section on $4/lb salmon if you want an interesting perspective on the inherent 'good' of delivering everyday low prices.

Very interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/...184280019&sr=8-1

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"its not the prices dumbass, it is the fact that every god damn hillbilly for 30 miles comes to my town now."

wow you got to lighten up

can't be all of us
I ain't bin yet

Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve;

All these issues are disturbing. But one of the more disturbing issues is: How exactly was/is Wall-Mart able to change existing zoning laws to suit their purposes, apparently at will? I know this happens all over the World, so their budgit must be rather large for these projects!

Hope it does not go through.

DB
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In town we have a "Fair Trade" Store...idiot in charge has his own idiot agenda....what to me made it REALLY funny....he took TIF funds to open and even better....accepts Visa!!!! Hipocrite!

http://www.studiofyra.com/...sDisplay.cfm?id=1006

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same way the riaa creates the digital millenium copyright act which serves only to make the us citizens life less enjoyable and less free

money

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck, you know how you and I go at it like cats and dogs for 5 or 10 posts, then wind up realizing we've been in agreement the whole time?

We can skip that first step this time.

And to keep it on topic, sort of, would anyone in here spend two grand for a bike built up at Wal-Mart?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope it does not go through.

It was a done deal 2 - 3 years ago. Not many people knew about it because in a bedroom community like mine, unfortunatly not many people pay attention to municipal politics. Since then there has been considerable opposition, but all that has done is delay the process. They had hoped to have this new Wal Mart open this summer, but at this rate they are now looking at early '08. The site is all prepared and ready to go. It's a bit of a blight right now - a giant dirt field.

How does Wal Mart(WM) do this? By dangling large amounts of money in front of small town politicians. In our case WM is paying $3million up front and the tax revenue is estimated to be about $1.5 million a year. What politician with a strapped yearly budget is going to turn that down?

I went to a few of the public meetings when WM was trying to change the zoning. It was extraordinary. WM would show up with 10 - 15 lawyers and consultants, and no matter what question, query or problem you presented in opposition to them, they had a Power-Point presentation with graphs and charts and numbers that made it sound like having WM come to town was the best thing that could EVER happen. It was surreal!

Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to keep it on topic, sort of, would anyone in here spend two grand for a bike built up at Wal-Mart?

Tom,

To answer your question - No, I would not for two main reasons:

1. As you can tell I am anti - Wal Mart from the get-go.

2. I seriously doubt that Wal Mart would have the where-with-all to deal with post purchase issues on such a bike - service, repairs, warranty issues and so on. I am much more confidant of getting this from my LBS.

Quote Reply
Re: Walmart steps it up. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you doing IMLP ???

Thom
Quote Reply

Prev Next