Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Walking desk treadmill
Quote | Reply
Been using a standing desk for quite a while, but knees get sore for standing still looking hours. Considering a walking treadmill. Any advice on whether this is something you can stick to, and what would be the best options?

I already have a good running treadmill, si this role be just for slowly walking while working.
Quote Reply
Re: Walking desk treadmill [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago I had some major back trouble, so I too looked into this.

The official walking desks are really expensive, so here is what I did.

I purchased a walking treadmill. They are really inexpensive because the max speed in so slow.

I then got some of the metal shelves with the positionable shelves.

https://a.co/d/1zL3sxW

I connected one of the shelves cantilevered out (so only use two of the four post holes). Will hold a monitor or laptop. You can also add a keyboard holder if you like.

Works well, and you get a storage system out of it as well.

Quote Reply
Re: Walking desk treadmill [kesslergk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I already have a decent standing desk, si I am just looking at the under desk treadmill. But the offer is so wide I don't really know what to look for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. Trip and fall waiting to happen?

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Walking desk treadmill [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Sounds like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. Trip and fall waiting to happen?

We had one in my old office and I used it a couple of times. You're realistically using it at 1mph (maybe 1.5) if you need to type, so even if you get pushed off the back it's pretty slow and nothing like getting thrown off a regular treadmill on a tempo run.

I can't remember the specific model we had, but we had Fully desks, so it might have been the UnSit Treadmill. I just looked up the price and there's no way I'd spend 2.5k for it given that there are a ton of other ones for much cheaper and you're not really stressing the unit a ton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought this treadmill for working, mostly because it was cheap: Sunny Walkstation (out of stock at Amazon right now, but probably available elsewhere). It's been fine for the purpose except it's a bit narrow and sometimes when my head is turned to look at the far end of my monitor, I drift in that direction and hit the edge. Before I got it, I looked at a folding treadmill by WalkingPad but didn't want to spend the extra money. That was a mistake. One of the reviews on the folding treadmill said something like, "save yourself the trouble and just buy a folding one from the beginning." I would agree with that. It's nice to be able to sit down once in a while and pulling a full length treadmill out of the way is a bit of a hassle, especially in smaller spaces. Tipping it sideways may cause the tread to go off track, so folding would be nice and definitely worth the extra money.

As for using it, I like it and haven't found walking and typing to be a problem. I go at maybe 1.5 mph; slower than that and I start tripping over my own feet. I can go several hours at a time with no issue and concentrate at least as well when walking. I find that when I get deep into data analysis, I can even assume my usual high concentration lean with my elbow on the desk, hand under my chin, staring at my screen from 6 inches away and still continue walking. I have post-thrombotic syndrome in one leg (from blood clots), which makes my lower leg swell when I sit too long. The treadmill has put an end to that. It has not been a magic weight loss solution, though :)
Quote Reply
Re: Walking desk treadmill [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, this is very helpful, particularly the folding feature.
Quote Reply