Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Walking as base training: Am I the only one?
Quote | Reply
The year after I got out of the military I was in fantastic shape and had a great race season. In retrospect I realized it was becasue my aerobic base was so deep from all the walking I did in the military with heavy pack and a lot of equipment on. Also, I think the relatively low impact, low intensity walking "injury proofed" my body to some degree. Later, in adventure racing and mountaineering, I discovered that after a long event I was in even better shape. Now I use walking (this time of year) to help establish my running base before I start putting in long running miles. It's time consuming but the results are impressive and you can easily regulate your heart rate in lower to moderate zones (for me at least). That and Powercrank workouts and I'm good to go. Am I the only one doing this?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Walking as base training: Am I the only one? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I arrived at the same conclusion as I was having a nagging shin problem last season. I'm also missing the medial meniscus on my right knee so I thought it might be a good idea to take a break from the pounding of running. So a couple of months ago I stopped running and began a program of fast paced walking for about an hour 1 or 2 times a week plus 1 or 2 deep water pool runs with an Aquajogger.

Yesterday was my first "run" and that was 3 miles at a low heart rate on the treadmill. Although I didn't try to run fast I felt as though I could have easily run a 1/2 marathon.

I also think the bike workouts on the Computrainer, swimming and weight training
all fall and winter have been a big benefit too. No Power Cranks so far but maybe next year.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom:

I think walking is great aerobic activity however, I'm not convinced personally that it will benefit one except during the transition into base phase or during recovery.

From my understanding, during your aerobbic workouts, real improvement happens when your HR is kept within 5-10 beats of the upper end of the workout range set for that specific session. I'm 27 so my top end Aerobic HR is 180-age + 10 or 163 BPM. Right now, during my base, I am not going above 163. I can also stay at a moderate aerobic range of 180-age (-20 to + 5) or 133 to 158 BPM which is easier. Never will I stay below 133 BPM as it is too low for me to gain any benefit. It all depends on what you want to get out of your program.

Just a thought...

Good Luck!

Fran
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I share your opinion that walking is a great base activity. I wonder, though, if you're talking about walking with a rucksack, an endeavor that's a lot more challenging than just power walking or walking with an aqua belt in the pool (no offense intended to those who suggest that).

I'm still on active duty, and I think walking with a ruck and doing multisport are complimentary, with a healthy, balanced mix being the key to helping me stay injury-free and have an endurance base that far exceeds my meager genetic gifts. In particular, I think walking hills with a ruck (a pack, for those of you not in the military) helps develop leg strength, power, and endurance.

For what it's worth...

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Definately with a ruck! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I do train with a pack, about 25 pounds. I just use a 1500 cu in. adventure racing pack from GoLite. There really is something about the addition weight and a fast pace that seem to help a great deal. In the military (I was on a LRSU team) we carried very large loads and my legs were like iron then. We could cover amazing distances in short time since we were just a five man team (sometimes four). I've since done some ultra distance running races such as Desert Cup and Marathon des Sables as well as Eco-Challenge and Raid Gauloises. Did great in both desert races but sucked it at Raid Gauloises (Vietnam, '02)and Eco-Challenge ('96 B.C.)although we did make it eight days in Vietnam until a team member got a heat injury. Walking with a pack definately rules as Ironman base building.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also think it's amazing excercise! I'm never in better shape, except for my feet, than after a week long backpack trip.

Walking/hiking with a pack, especially uphill, is one of the best all-around excercises I can think of. I'm not totally sure why the benefits are so great, but if I were to venture a guess, I would say that it has a lot to do with 'toughening' you up. By toughening, I actually mean something a little more technical and that is being able to to large amounts of work with a high heart rate. When you're chugging a heavy pack uphill, your heart is pounding while your legs are exerting loads of effort.

I've read of folks in the grappling/mixed fighting world who are starting to apply this idea to their training. They raise their heart rates up very high, maybe through jumprope or dumbell swings, and then do pullups, benchpress, or some other very intense muscular excercise. You quickly find your max effort at a high heart rate is much lower that what you're capable of at a resting heart rate. However, by training this way, you can improve this substantially. Seems like it would be of great benefit to endurance athletes.

I think backpacking, whether recreationally or in the military, provides just this combination of cardio and muscle work.

Happy trails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although this does not rank as hard core as anyone elses reply. I found that the best shape I have ever been in was after spending 2 months 2 years ago in Japan. As a recent graduate and future medical student my then finace and I had very little spending cash so we just walked every where. (trains get very expensive in Tokyo) We would routinely walk for 5, 6, 8, 10, hours a day. This was combined with going to Judo training 4 days a week at the Kodokan and not having enough money to buy luxurious meals we bought a lot of fish from the gorcery store. The point being by the time that I came back to the states I had dropped about 9 pounds ( i was lean to begin with) and was in incredible shape. I also got to see so much of Japan and not just sites.

PS. we also just got back from Barcelona (our honeymoon) where we did pretty much the same thing... can't wait to start my training again
Quote Reply
Re: Walking as base training: Am I the only one? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is amazing how fitness becomes a lifestyle by-product sometimes, and that that can be the best kind of fitness. I have never seen the logic in always driving 40 minutes to ride (I understand it sometimes- but not for every ride)or driving to the health club. It seems like the best fitness comes from daily exercise in the course of a vigorous lifestyle. I really liked your post. Congratulations on your marriage.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stepmill as base training: Am I the only one? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to use a Stairmaster StepMill (the step machine that looks like an escalator). This is also low impact and you can also easily regulate your heart rate in different zones. The StepMill also emphasizes hip flexors. I'm convinced it is helping with my plantar fasciitis as well...

michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep...done the walking thing...actually, I think it is more of a Heart Rate thing. I've always found out that base building based on HR and not how much you know you could do (or wish you were doing) made for a more progressive base building approach. It allows for harder (i.e., higher HR) later in the train phase.

BTW, I have been able to accomplish the base training by training at much higher HR's only two days out the week. The other 5 days of the week I virtually do nothing (short walks on one day after two hards days is usually the only other activity through the week).

I think what is being accomplished is that the excess recovery period actually accomplishes the same results as a lower HR (i.e., walking) for longer period of times done consistently throughout the week.

It's an interesting approach to training I have yet to see advocated by most of the training guru's. In fact, my only complaint about most coaching approaches are that they waaay underestimate the power of recovery and low HR training. As I get older...I value recovery and high volume-low HR training. And, guess what... I looked at my training logs from 10 yrs. ago. and I have hardly lost any time...just don't have as much pain.

FWIW Joe Moya

BTW, I try to go Backpacking in Big Bend (high altitude desert climate) about every late February... Best workout/recovery training I do all year (not to mention the... he-man male bonding / beer drinking / bird watching sorta thing - although I'm still looking for the elusive bird called the Big Breasted Matress Thrasher)
Quote Reply