Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman
Quote | Reply
"Unlike Mike Riley, I don't believe you are an Ironman if you walk more than the aid stations"

A quote from a well known Swiss based, Australian Tri coach when recruiting for his mens AG team.

As someone that has walked a decent chunk of both my IM marathons so far. And is never going to trouble the age group podium. This applies to me. I'm not offended by the statement, it actually motivates me a little. So fair comment or deliberate provocation/elitism?

https://www.spiritmultisport.com/...na-walkers-listen-up[
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm reminded of the time I was the sweep marshal (on a bike) for the New York City Half Marathon, and one of the slower guys was under the impression that if he started walking he'd be DQ'd. I set him straight and he was so relieved - and finished.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m glad you don’t make the rules.

I don’t think you’re an Ironman unless you go sub 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
"Unlike Mike Riley, I don't believe you are an Ironman if you walk more than the aid stations"

A quote from a well known Swiss based, Australian Tri coach when recruiting for his mens AG team.

I don't care what the head coach of the San Antonio Commanders thinks of who is an ironman or not.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought the "you are an ironman" phrase is a little silly, no? Like when someone says "are you an ironman?" "Well, no, but I've done a few Ironman races." (all of which involved walking)

So, I guess I agree with him :P
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about this: your “run” has to be at least 60’ less than your bike or you’re DQ’d?

Last edited by: ndrfnnut: Nov 5, 18 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Click bait from someone who deserves no respect.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ndrfnnut wrote:
How about this: your “run” has to be at least 60’ less than your bike or you’re DQ’d?

How about just "less than" LOL. I haven't failed that test yet. Thank god Canada was hot and hilly on the bike, I might have broken the rule this year
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 5, 18 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ndrfnnut wrote:

LOL !!! My IM PR is sub 12 and in that race I didn't meet this criteria

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:

As someone that has walked a decent chunk of both my IM marathons so far. And is never going to trouble the age group podium. This applies to me. I'm not offended by the statement, it actually motivates me a little. So fair comment or deliberate provocation/elitism?

this will get a lot of hate but I feel like thats fair, and would be interesting (obviously not good for the sport), if you were DQ'd for walking. It is, swim / bike/ RUN afterall!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what’s your best time?

So if you only walk the aid stations and someone beats you by 10 minutes but walked more than just the aid stations, are you an Ironman and he/she is not?

Makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I've always thought the "you are an ironman" phrase is a little silly, no? Like when someone says "are you an ironman?" "Well, no, but I've done a few Ironman races." (all of which involved walking)

So, I guess I agree with him :P

mostly, this!

however you have done an ironman if you finish within the cutoff time. how you achieve that is up to you (within the rules) - overbike then crawl if you like.
whether the cutoff times are appropriate or if indeed completing an ironman event makes you an ironman are different questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think walking precludes you from being an Ironman. BUT it is shocking to me the number of people that have no intention of running whatsoever. Made the feat less impressive to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Child molester = Not a real man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys can pick this apart all you’d like, but it’s simply a call to arms. If it’s not your size, you’re not gonna like it. It’s like the old USMC commercials that said not everyone can be a Marine. Yup, I’ll take that challenge. If you’re the kind of person who gets upset when he says this...you aren’t the target audience. Simple. Ignore and move on. On the other hand, if you think you have what it takes to train and race in that organization...you know what he’s saying.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

Sighs I atleast clicked on it thinking it was some controversial "think piece"....nah it's a "come join my team" promo piece......come on OP you can start a better thread....but good trolling!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changing the rules to DQ someone when walking is silly because it is impossible to enforce.

If an IM would start with the run, there would be a clear cutoff time for running. But since it is the last discipline your marathon cutoff time is extended by the time you "win" during swimming and biking.

Of course the rules could be changed in introducing a cutoff time for the run alone, which starts running when you exit T2.
However, do we want that?
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

Exactly this. If you sexually abuse your child athletes = Not a real coach. Period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Yohann Diniz racewalked 50km in 3:23 at a pace which would have been good for a marathon time of 2:59. Would we disqualify him?*

*for something other than looking ridiculous.

We've already go the rules that set out the parameters for this thing, and I for one won't be listening to what a kiddie fiddler writes anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting aside the quoted persons history as a convicted sexual offender the statement itself is absolutely ok even if totally false. In his eyes walking more than the aid stations means you're not an ironman. Thats his opinion of what an ironman is and he's entitled to his opinion no matter how stupid it may be, right?

Afaik originally only the currently reigning Kona champion would be an ironman. If that title is extended to any other IM finishers then my opinion is that competing and finishing an ironman event (with rule abiding means) no matter what your race tactics are (ie biking fast, biking slow, running slow, walking fast, whatever) makes you an ironman. Afterall this is just a rather technical question of how you decide to burn your matches.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Exactly this. If you sexually abuse your child athletes = Not a real coach. Period.

That's rather dogmatic. He's one of the best coaches in the sport. Period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't believe you are an Ironman if you are Swiss based"

A quote from Donald Trump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If u walk the marathon you should be called a Spiderman rather than Iron man.
Quote Reply
Re: Walk the marathon = Not an Ironman [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
[That's rather dogmatic. He's one of the best coaches in the sport. Period.

Tell that to his victim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:

there have been so many other posts saying something like this over the years and its always the same, the original poster and a lot of the comments say 'i dont care what others think, i do what i want, and since im not there to kona qualify i dont care about my time', well, if you dont care about the race and you dont care about what others think, why are you even asking the question and wasting your time on triathlon forums? you just here looking for others to make you feel good about yourself?
Quote Reply

Prev Next