Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waikiki Roughwater Swim
Quote | Reply
The Waikiki Roughwater Swim (one of the original legs that was the genesis of the Ironman)was held this Monday under very rough conditions, with only a third of the 1000 or so swimmers finishing and about a third needing help to get back to shore. As one who experienced it firsthand, I found it hard to believe no one drowned (one woman was supposedly found below the water surface near a flag buoy, was given CPR on the water and was revived) Honolulu Advertiser has more details: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/...Sep/02/sp/sp08a.html

I have given the race committee several comments on how to improve safety, including measuring the current "seen" by a swimmer using GPS and using it to establish starting group cutoffs:

I think the main "fix" involves having an entry standard ( e.g. proof of at least an open water race greater than 1500 meters and time) which would serve to: (1) weed out weak swimmers and (2) put athletes in a group. You then establish group "cut off" times depending on the best predicted current for the race duration. For example, if a swimmer's estimated time taking into account the best predicted current is, say, greater than 2 1/2 hours, then that group is officially not permitted to start. The current measuring/prediction/math is not that hard. But it takes prior planning, comms, and organization. For a prestigious race like the Roughwater, which charges a healthy race fee, I don't see why this couldn't happen. If professional lifeguards are needed and the race entry fee goes up, oh well, but that will also be an excellent way to screen out weaker or less experienced swimmers.

Anybody have experience with similar open water swims and suggestions for monitoring currents, water safety, weeding out swimmers who shouldn't attempt the course, etc? Race organizers are scrambling to make sure this never happens again but the race may be eliminated, sadly, because of what happened.

Mahalo!
Last edited by: ssn759co: Sep 3, 03 17:32
Quote Reply
Re: Waikiki Roughwater Swim [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just amazed it hasn't happened before given the number of water events in Hawaii. It it very hard to protect people from themselves, but it seems to me people used to police themselves better (and when I was a kid I used to walk 50 miles to school in 10 feet of snow ;-) )
Quote Reply