Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wahoo PowrLink Pedals
Quote | Reply
https://www.rei.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 20, 22 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh oh, somebody didn't honor the embargo.

Edit to add screenshot in case REI takes it down until ....

Last edited by: logella: Feb 20, 22 7:39
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That style makes sense why there were rumors that Wahoo licensed Favero's tech (which both companies confirmed didn't happen).
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Long teased the box on IG last week. Had a feeling this couldn’t be far behind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good price. Speedplay…err, Wahoo pedals themselves start off at $150. So to still be able to come in $200 cheaper than the Garmin pedals is nice

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrible price. I can get a quarq with cranks and chainrings for a little over $800. I can get a power2max with cranks and chainrings for $750. Why on earth would I pay $900 for pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 that I can think of : a much more aerodynamic chain ring that can't handle a power meter or someone wanting to be able to easily move pedals between multiple bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I routinely move my pedals between my tri and road bike. A chainring set-up doesn't help me because I would then need multiple ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Terrible price. I can get a quarq with cranks and chainrings for a little over $800. I can get a power2max with cranks and chainrings for $750. Why on earth would I pay $900 for pedals?

Because you don’t want to have crank power meters or you want to move pedals across bikes

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 20, 22 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Not for you then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Good price. Speedplay…err, Wahoo pedals themselves start off at $150. So to still be able to come in $200 cheaper than the Garmin pedals is nice

Garmin's pricing premium is getting tougher to swallow ($400 vs Favero and $100 vs Wahoo), especially since I think Speedplay/Wahoo pedals are generally seen as more premium than Look/Shimano. I haven't really seen Favero in store, but Wahoo has a much bigger retail footprint, so I wonder if this will put some pressure on Garmin to at least match the pricing (and bring it back to the Vector 3 level).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

But sill more than Favero
I have only seen aero data from two sources, one I trust significantly more than the other, and it's not an aero thing.
I don't know if there are other factors that make people prefer the speedplays, but the Faveros are a proven entity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding the feature listing in case it’s taken down. Note they claim a weight of 276g.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you able to share these two? How did they address fit changes re differences in stack?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been waiting for these

Finally broke down and just spent almost $300 for speedplay Aeros 😭
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the Q factor VS the standard speed plays?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

You can get crank-based PM's for that kind of money. But there are situations where it may not make a lot of sense. Mostly due to Shimano and SRAM trying hard to push us to their OEM-provided PMs.

Like in the middle of COVID I needed a new road bike, and found a smoking deal on a new old-stock bike equipped with SRAM AXS Red. Came with a regular AXS Red chainring - not the direct-mount PM. So my options were limited.

I could:

a) Buy a new AXS Red PM chainring (~$850), try to sell my old chainring.
b) Downconvert to the Force AXS crank (~$850), try to sell my Red crankset.
c) ?

I think it's similar issues for people buying bikes speced with Shimano cranksets. You can either use the Shimano PM system (which my understanding, still isn't all that great in some ways), or go through the process of buying an aftermarket crank and trying to sell your OEM equipment.

I went with option a), above. And the value of "new take-off" cranks is typically is well under retail value. But if this Wahoo PowrLink had been around at the time, it'd have been attractive as option c) (as a Speedplay user).

I, for one, am glad that Wahoo is providing an interesting option, and throwing a wrench into SRAM and Shimano's attempted OEM hegemony in the PM market. (I'm a huge fan of Power2Max as well).

I wish bikes could be ordered with detailed swap-outs of components, but that's a whole other thread. I've had bike shops do that for me, but my understanding is that it was a gray-market bro-deal situation, e.g. the bike shop taking on the hassle of trying to sell/re-use the take-off parts to get the bike sale, not something that the shop's bike suppliers endorsed.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Chemist wrote:

But sill more than Favero
I have only seen aero data from two sources, one I trust significantly more than the other, and it's not an aero thing.
I don't know if there are other factors that make people prefer the speedplays, but the Faveros are a proven entity.

I personally find Speedplay/Wahoo pedals to be better than Look/Shimano due to the float and cleat. So for me it’d be worth the extra cost being able to have a higher quality pedal. But like saddles, everyone has different preferences.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the listing hasn't been taken down yet! Some specs(unable to attach screenshot because file size is too big).

Price – $900 USD
Weight – 276 g
Accuracy – +-1%
Battery life – 75 hours
In the box – 2 pedals, cleats, charging cables
Connectivity – Bluetooth, Ant+

Oliver Chi | https://pursuitcyclingforkids.com/ | https://www.strava.com/athletes/38196895
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really hoping they start selling these with the aero pedal body. The price is also less than DC Rainmaker was predicting.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I am really hoping they start selling these with the aero pedal body. The price is also less than DC Rainmaker was predicting.

I recently bought the wahoo aero pedals. Had second thoughts about it

How much aero savings do you figure VS the regular Speedplays?
Last edited by: MrTri123: Feb 20, 22 18:55
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

I recently bought the wahoo aero pedals. Had second thoughts about it

How much aero savings do you figure VS the regular Speedplays?
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6204611#p6204611

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I doubt they will as have just picked up a set and the pedal body is much thicker maybe 2-3mm more stack so 4-6mm thicker in total.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevej,
I think I'm one of the sources Marcag refers to.
More than a year ago, I did my best possible job with an aero testing session comparing Speedplay Aero pedals to Look latest Blade carbon. That was correcting for seat height and arm pad stack (with identical pedals stance) every time I would change pedals (doing ABBAABB) and using a Notio and Chung method on the same day.
It showed that if anything the Speedplay came as fast as the Look but not faster...
Here is one of the sentence of my report : "first configuration we obtained an average CdA over 3 tests of 0.1757 +0.0003/-0.0002 ; second configuration we obtained an average CdA over 4 tests of 0.1761 +0.0009/-0.0016".
I had one outlier with the Speedplay which drives me mad (but it actually helped the Speedplay so I did not remove it).

- Look / Bont Notio CdA average : 0.177
- Look / Bont Chung CdA average : 0.1757
- Speedplay / Bont Notio CdA average : 0.178
- Speedplay / Bont Chung CdA average : 0.1761

For me Chung Method with the weather station was actually better than the Notio for that session on the velodrome... but the trends were the same anyway.

I also tested another shoe on the same day (which was configuration C) and actually the difference in shoes were much MUCH bigger than the difference between pedals...

I'm lucky enough to often discuss with experts in aero testing (this is a small industry) and most of them have sometimes seen better results with Speedplay (but most often compared to Shimano which **appears** less aero than Look Keo Blade Carbon) but definitely not always (athletes dependent and tiny differences). There is a good chance Speedplay aero pedals can help in a more rearward position that may show the pedals a bit more to the wind, same with a flat foot, maybe not as much in a more forward triathlon position... but it is not as clear as the old "Speedplay saves 33s over 40km" claim (sorry but that is an absolute joke) that's for sure.

Disclaimer : I'm involved with one of the parties... but would have actually loved for the other party to win that aero battle as it would have pushed my party even more (this is what fair/smart competition is all about), so my biais if anything was probably into making the competitor faster than it actually was, which could explain the first "B" test (the outlier) being a bit faster than the 3 "B" other tests, which I only found out after the facts so was not influenced by that result.

Was not really supposed to share this... but it's ok it was not the full report... ahah... but many times I scratched my head (actually worse period was after I tested, Wahoo bought Speedplay and re-launched those aero claims, I would think without confirming them by themselves but just using the old Speedplay web page) and shut up... but reading this over and over again is actually tough when you've done the work and know it is absolutely impossible... so here is my coming out... sorry Boss !!!

My goal absolutely isn't to say buy A over B or vice-versa, it's mostly to say : pick your pedals based on other factors and pick your shoes wisely, in a triathlon position your pedals aero probably does not matter or if it does it's in a very tiny way.
Hope this helps...

Ps : edited simply to correct a few typos (no change in content).

Last edited by: pyf: Feb 21, 22 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo PowrLink Pedals [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

I doubt they will as have just picked up a set and the pedal body is much thicker maybe 2-3mm more stack so 4-6mm thicker in total.

That is a let down. The pods are already going to eat into any aero advantage and application specific bodies and maybe cleats are one more hassle to deal with over the long term. I really wish SRAM hadn't killed the PM hub when they bought PowerTap.
Quote Reply

Prev Next