Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Kickr Headwind...is it worth it?
Quote | Reply
For those who have one, what's your experience like, is it worth it? Would you purchase it again or just go with a simple fan? Does it actually simulate riding into a headwind?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Headwind...is it worth it? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is it worth it?

Not at full price but I got it at a pretty steep discount.

Quote:
Would you purchase it again or just go with a simple fan?
Absolutely! I love being able to fine tune the speed of the fan via the app on the slider. Much better than the typical three settings on a standard fan. I've got a simple fan behind me that I rarely use as the Headwind is enough.

Quote:
Does it actually simulate riding into a headwind?
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't.

It doesn't move as much air as my Lasco blower fan and it is louder as well.

Louder, less air, much more cost despite the fairly big discount I purchased it for still doesn't make it a win for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it. I have a Kickr Bike and the two are great together. You link the Headwind to the Kickr, so that when the power output increases, so does the fan speed. You also can control it with the app or just hold a steady fan speed.

Is it worth it? It’s very expensive for a fan (I got a 20% discount), but this sport leads me to buy a lot of toys that are less than essential. If you are going to spend countless hours on the trainer, indulge yourself and get one.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Headwind...is it worth it? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it worth ÂŁ200 - nope

Is it very good - yes it is

The most useful thing is when you get on your bike and realise you didn't turn the fan on you can do it on your phone without having to unclip and get off - there are cheaper ways to get fans that do the same thing though (smart plugs etc)

Works well / looks good with everything else from wahoo - it's not a rational purchase but then most things in this sport we buy are more want than need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it. Had used basic fans & then tried it & it was a ton better. I'm sure there are better products and cheaper ones but from my comparison point it was worth the upgrade. Idk if it simulates an effective headwind but it keeps me cool when riding. That's all I really care about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one as a gift and it’s not as powerful as my other fans. I don’t love it. If it ever stops working I won’t have any desire to replace it with another headwind. Any old fan with a remote or Bluetooth controls would be at least as good.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Headwind...is it worth it? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
I don't.

It doesn't move as much air as my Lasco blower fan and it is louder as well.

Louder, less air, much more cost despite the fairly big discount I purchased it for still doesn't make it a win for me.

Which Lasko model do you have?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Headwind...is it worth it? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My model is discontinued, but I think this would be the current equivalent.

Lasko has a few smaller models, but I like big air. I rarely even go to the second speed setting. Almost no sweat ever drips onto my bike. Nearly dry at the end of multihour workouts.

https://smile.amazon.com/Lasko-Performance-Pivoting-Utility-U15720/dp/B07D1CXLN1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3OMA1WYSEH53Z&dchild=1&keywords=lasko+max+performance+pivoting+utility+fan&qid=1634310139&sr=8-3

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Lasko one I have linked below is great ($66)...had a cheap box fan before it. Went from being soaked and dripping with sweat on the bike trainer to no drops now. Should have gotten it much earlier. I just have it pointed at my face and neck. Haven't played around with positioning of it yet but it works great. Have it plugged into a smart outlet so I can turn on from my phone when needed. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/...634310249&sr=8-1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought this alternative - (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BMBR5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) its not "smart" but it fits in front, below my trainer desk exactly as Wahoo's would. And then I have a fan behind me as well. I also purchased smart plugs (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DR29T6) and have an Alexa in my gym so i can turn the fans on and off without getting off my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone just put a window A/C in your training room?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a great value if you have money falling out of your a$$. Seriously though a fan for $250? My GF and I each bought $20 fans off Amazon. They push plenty of air. The key is keeping the pain cave temperature lower then the amount of air generated by a fan is lessened. Too much air can bother my eyes. If you want a cool room, then set your thermostat lower about an hour before the session. Close of all the ducts to the rest of the house if you want to isolate one room and maximize cooling. There's never a need to spend $250 on a fan. Just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
For those who have one, what's your experience like, is it worth it? Would you purchase it again or just go with a simple fan? Does it actually simulate riding into a headwind?
I have both the Headwind and then purchased a Lasko 15617.
  • Both are equally quiet, put out comparable air speed, and have very similar noise (not much).
  • Using the headwind based on speed or HR was, to me, worthless. It simulates nothing but not sure that was actual purpose...
  • The only potential advantage to the Headwind I see is winter training when basement is 55degrees at start of workout. I will start with fan on low, warm up, then on phone app bring it to full speed. I overcame that with the Lasko by also buying the Kasa wifi plug for $15, start with it off, then turn it on (preset to high) when warmed up.

$250 for Wahoo
$67 Lasko + $15 = $82

If I were to do it again, Lasko all the way.
Quote Reply