Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2?
Quote | Reply
I know this has been flogged, but I am deliberating between a Kickr Core and Neo 2. What's the best reason to pay up and buy the Neo 2? Thanks in advance. Hope everyone had a good weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 2016 KICKR. I have a Neo 2. The Core is similar to the big boy but with a lesser frame and slightly lower power and resistance capacity. My thoughts are based on the KICKR, but are probably applicable to the Core too.
  • The Neo 2 feels great, it may be smoother and more natural than the KICKR... with the exception of the virtual tire slip
  • When you are doing high power, low cadence intervals on a Neo, you get this bizarre tire slip. You mitigate by using a lower gear— I use my 39-19 for a straighter chainline and easier gear
  • The Neo 2 is huge, ungainly, and difficult to carry; as bulky, 50 lbs. objects go, the KICKR is relatively easy to carry around
  • The glowing LED under the Neo 2 is really cool
  • I like that you do not need to block the front wheel with a KICKR
  • The slight sway the Neo 2 allows is a huge feel upgrade
  • My Neo 2 reads about 15W lower than my bike power meter at higher speeds. The nut is that the Neo loses power accuracy above 25 MPH flywheel speed. Again, mitigate by working out in an easier gear. pedals.
  • The Neo 2 is very quiet, so my 20" fan is by far the loudest thing in the room
  • The Neo 2 works without power, which is super cool.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
I know this has been flogged, but I am deliberating between a Kickr Core and Neo 2. What's the best reason to pay up and buy the Neo 2? Thanks in advance. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

3 previous Kickrs here and now on a Neo2. Could not be happier. If you have the money just do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Neo and it's by far the best training investment I've ever made. Solid as a rock, quiet as a mouse. If you have the money, get the Neo.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [blayze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Neo 2 worth the extra $300 vs neo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got Neo 2 six months ago and love it. To add to reasons above:
- no calibration needed. Just fire it up and go
- I set it up and put it away every time (since I don’t have designated training area). If folds nicely under my desk. Yes, it is heavy, and is not meant for transporting around, but I have never had an issue with just picking it up, moving 10 feet and unfolding/folding
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the Neo 2 now, had the KICKR Core.

My thoughts on them and some of what's been said here:

The Neo is bigger, the KICKR Core however is awkward to move around, legs don't fold etc. Neither is something you want to be moving around a lot. Neo can work without power, still don't see me using that much because I wouldn't feel like carrying it somewhere.

I think they both ride really well, the Neo transitions smoothly going over a hill to me or going from sitting to standing or vice versa I feel it's smoother. If I was riding a "TT" I think the Core and its real flywheel have an advantage in feel. But overall they both ride well, and they're silent.

I like the slight rocking of the Neo, but that ain't worth the difference in price. And some of them squeak when they do this...

Haven't used Tacx customer service in over a decade, have used Wahoo's, and the lack thereof is one of the primary reasons I don't have one of their Wahoo trainers anymore.

If you've used both, there is a difference in ease of use between the two. The Neo just works, it connects faster, it's ready to go, the Wahoo is not that big of a deal but having ridden both a fair amount the Neo has a clear edge here for me.

There are other minor details like not needing a cadence sensor for the Neo, and if you're going to connect it to an Appletv it uses less bluetooth spots so you can connect HRM without any of the workarounds you could do with a wahoo and zwift, but that's pretty minor IMHO.

I haven't swapped between disc and QR's on the Neo yet. But it sure is easy on a Wahoo. And I think the Wahoo has an advantage on clearance and fitting different frames easily. I've yet to not be able to use one of my bikes on the Neo but there is less clearance between the chainstays and the trainer.

I wouldn't pay the premium for the Neo at list price. I got mine when they were on sale over Memorial Day, and I'm happy with it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only the brave purchase new tech in August. Eurobike is so close... and there's always new things at Eurobike. If you are purchasing new this month make sure it's at a killer price.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noted. Any suggestions where to purchase or wait for possible labor day sale in the States?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. Will likely go Neo 2 over Core as the price difference is negligible considering how much time I'm spending on trainer these days. Currently, only doing a road ride 1 or 2x per week because I enjoy being among the living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. Will likely go Neo 2 over Core as the price difference is negligible considering how much time I'm spending on trainer these days. Currently, only doing a road ride 1 or 2x per week because I enjoy being among the living.
Good choice. And, if you are getting 1-2x outdoor rides per week, you are living right. I am lucky to get one outdoor ride per month.

I would just go for it-- order now and enjoy it now! These things rarely go on sale, so you may not save much, if anything by waiting. The Neo 2 was released at the very end of 2018; it is only about 8 months old. Unless Garmin & Tacx really surprise us, I bet they do not release a Neo 3 this year. So, if you decided on a Neo 2, then make the deal. If anyone else announces a product at Eurobike meant to hang with the Neo 2, it may not hit the market for months, and it may not be stabilized for a while after that. So, again, Neo 2 now for the win. You will not regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
txtyree wrote:
Have the Neo 2 now, had the KICKR Core.

Haven't used Tacx customer service in over a decade, have used Wahoo's, and the lack thereof is one of the primary reasons I don't have one of their Wahoo trainers anymore.

Well, I got my wish I guess, trying now to navigate Tacx support. Can't say it is going well as I approach 2 months in. It sounds to me like in the future they want to run most of that through Garmin, but they aren't yet and I'm not making much headway.

I'm hoping it is going to get better, but realistically I doubt it is, at least in my case. I'll survive, lol, but these trainers are too expensive to not do what they're supposed to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had a Wahoo smart trainer, but I absolutely love my Neo.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who would have thought that Tacx would put out the Neo 2T less than a year after the intro of the Neo 2? (Kudos to gplama, who doubtless knew the 2T was coming, but kept the secret well.) Who would have thought that Garmin/Tacx STILL wouldn't have pedal dynamics worked out on this trainer nearly a year into marketing it as having them? (Granted, it hasn't been a full year for Garmin.) Who would have thought that the Neo 2 would be this much more accurate (so far) than the NEWER 2T?

On the other hand, who would have thought that Wahoo wouldn't have a Kickr 2019? (When you start marketing your products using the date, the existing one starts to appear dated after . . . one year.)

The trainer market is kinda strange these days. Lots of cool products, none of which is entirely functional compared to their marketing claims. And introducing NEW products before getting the existing ones right!

I'm in the market. It's definitely the wild west these days.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Sep 27, 19 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
txtyree, what problem are you having with the Neo 2?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine makes that squeaking sound whenever I get out of the saddle as it rocks back in forth. I guess it's something to do with the plastic case around the trainer itself? That's what I've been told by them, after I sent a video of it that they requested.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Who would have thought that Tacx would put out the Neo 2T less than a year after the intro of the Neo 2? ...

Who would have thought that the Neo 2 would be this much more accurate (so far) than the NEWER 2T?
haha, yeah, I just saw my earlier comment in this thread. My Neo 2 is now obsolete :(

Regarding Neo accuracy, though, I have learned that the Neo accuracy is a bit of a lie. It is only accurate when the freewheel is below about 25 MPH. Above that, and it is massively off. I traded a couple posts with gplama, and he confirmed it. So, I changed my behavior on the trainer to ride in an easier gear for accurate power. It is kind of moot, because I ride with my bike PM 99% of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr Core or pay up for a Neo 2? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering why the OP wasn't considering the normal Kickr, rather than the Core.

I swore of Tacx vr products years ago, and based on friends' experience over the past years, and reviews I've read on here of even the Neo 2's power 'accuracy', and the continued shit support, I think I made the right choice.

I'm still on my gen 1 kickr. I did try a core briefly and did not like it for a couple reasons:
1. The frame is cheap and unstable, looks like it was welded in a high school shop class, didn't look straight either.
2. The rear axle on it is flush with part of the trainer frame, and thus not much clearance for your non-drive side chainstay.

But the power unit on it was nice and quiet, better than my gen1 kickr for sure.

I'm hunting around for a sale on 2018 kickr....
Quote Reply