Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo KICKER SNAP bearing replacement
Quote | Reply
Just for public knowledge since I wasn’t able to find much searching the web other than that this failure happens a lot:

My bearings failed on my Wahoo KICKER SNAP after about 10 months of use. Turns out wahoo uses metal shielded bearings, and mine became contaminated with tire particles. Rather than send the unit back to Wahoo and have the same issue again in the future, I decided to replace them myself. I used Timken 6003-2RS-C3 sealed bearings purchased from Amazon. The job involved 2 through 5 mm Allen bits, a 19 mm socket, heat gun to melt the adhesive on the roller set screws, snap ring pliers, a shop press paired with a 11/16” deep well impact socket, extension bolt and a variety of nuts and washers for jigging. You could probably get it done with just a mallet driver instead of a press, as long as you don’t miss and wack something delicate.

Turned out better than new in less time than I would have spent dealing with Wahoo and shipping. It also kept downtime to just an afternoon.

The new bearings are Timken and “electric motor grade,” so I don’t expect to have to do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo KICKER SNAP bearing replacement [Ice789] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the part number for those bearings? I see different options in Amazon. Are those 17x35x10mm?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going through the same issue right now. But i am thinking of lubricating the bearings first. Do you have any pics by any chance of how to get to the bearings?

Thanks!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bearings you chose are C3, this is the clearance and is made slightly bigger than standard (which is around C2.5 and unmarked as it is assumed) to allow for the heating an electric motor goes through which will close up the clearance.
A standard bearing or a C2 rated bearing would be a better choice.

6003 tells you the dimension and 2RS is 2 x rubber seals
Quote Reply