Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc.
Quote | Reply
I wanted to separate this from the other thread about release dates so we can share ideas and experiences.

I don't have the trainer yet. So I don't have any direct experience using the thing.

I have an iPad 3 for the Bluetooth control so I'm covered there plus my Quarq transmits ANT+.

I read all I could from DC Rainmaker about the product.

What's everyone thoughts when it comes to apps and software? It seems Wahoo's first party app and the TrainerRoad and Kinomap stuff are what's available right now.

What else do I need for this thing?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Responding to myself...

iPad floor stands. What are people using?

Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/...sd%3D280861393343%26 and it has been nice. (sorry about the long link).

On a separate note it seems my ipad is interferring with my garmin edge 500's signal from the quarq. I could be wrong, but when I'm streaming netflix the cadence will drop in and out, but I don't have this problem if I turn my Ipad off. Anyone else experience this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Responding to myself...

I use the following with the indoor trainer:

http://www.performancebike.com/..._1028751_-1___000000

I sometimes put the iPad on it and other times a portable DVD player. I actually don't think it would work very well for a book though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Responding to myself...

http://amzn.com/B0002FOBJY
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Responding to myself...

http://amzn.com/B0002FOBJY

I guess we tend to overthink these things, huh? A music stand makes perfect sense.

Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
I bought one of these http://www.ebay.com/...sd%3D280861393343%26 and it has been nice. (sorry about the long link).

On a separate note it seems my ipad is interferring with my garmin edge 500's signal from the quarq. I could be wrong, but when I'm streaming netflix the cadence will drop in and out, but I don't have this problem if I turn my Ipad off. Anyone else experience this?

That stand looks tippy! Have you had any issues with it when there's a tablet dangling from the end?

As far as Quark (or any ANT+) cutting in and out when next to another "loud" 2.4GHz device, that makes some sense. To pull a direct analogy from my electronic warfare days, your iPad is receiving and transmitting barrage noise jamming in the 2.4GHz spectrum. Bluetooth and 802.11b/g (WiFi) all operate in this congested band and Netflix is congesting a lot of this spectrum with data streaming to the iPad and the iPad talking back to the router to acknowledge receipt of said data. My suggestion to you is to do three things, in the order listed, testing for improvement after each step.

#1. Set up your home router to use the very bottom WiFi Channel (Channel 1: 2412MHz) if you are using 802.11b/g. The bottom Channel is probably going to work better because ANT+ has the ability to operate slightly above the maximum b/g WiFi frequency of 2462-2484MHz (max is dependent on country. See http://en.wikipedia.org/...ist_of_WLAN_channels for details). I had a very quick scan of the ANT+ data sheet (http://www.sparkfun.com/...ic/ANT-UserGuide.pdf), and I think ANT+ has a certain amount of frequency agility in the 2.4GHz band between 2400MHz up to 2524MHz. I didn't glean from the data sheet whether the agility is determined at initialization, or whether it can re-assign a frequency on the fly, but it appears that there is some sort of duty cycle if the frequency it is trying to use is clobbered. Since ANT+ can operate above b/g's max frequency, moving the two protocols as far apart as possible should help.

#2. Simulcast your router on the 5GHz band if it has that option, then connect your iPad to the 5GHz signal.

#3. Turn off the iPad's Bluetooth if you don't need it.

Let us all know if this helps. I'd be curious to know what, if anything, worked.

Cheers,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out and let you know the results.

The stand has been great so far. I've only used it twice, but it seems sturdy. The base weighs approximatley 20-25lbs. I really doubt it will tip. I live on the third floor of an apartment and the flex arm started "wobbling" a bit from the floor shaking, but it was more annoying to watch video while it was doing that. No worries about it tipping.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm expecting to receive one of the first 10 they send out (to consumers) -- yes, I'm a dork :). I am disappointed that despite all the talk about Trainerroad integration, there is no out-of-the-box power control of the KICKR via ANT+ from a PC. I would think that's still a majority of potential users. And as far as I know you can't use Trainerroad on an iPad/iPhone. To make sure I can at least do a workout and control power, I had to go out and get a 5th gen iPod touch (w/ BT smart), which only adds to the overall cost of this setup. The latest I heard is that the programming for ANT+ control is completed and they would have to test it out -- but "testing" may/not take weeks (that last part is my speculation).

Having said that, I have little doubt that this will be an awesome training tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [dockt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you actually heard anything since Friday? I'm in the same boat as you being one of the first 10, but the email vague enough that I'm not counting on anything actually happening today which is the original date they said they would ship on by the latest.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [thomasmn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@thomasmn, per the email, they were working feverishly on changing in the retooled freehub/spacer to at least get a batch out today (paraphrasing). That's gotta be us!

For others who may not have received the email, Wahoo noted a problem with the freehub on the trainer binding at times and had to have their factory remachine new spacers/freebody, overnight them, and they are now installing/testing them on the first batch of KICKRS. They said there would be a delay in shipping by a few days, but they are sending them out as they finish the installs in order of reservation, with the first orders shipping today. Haven't heard anything about it being shipped yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [dockt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't even gotten an email requesting payment, which is why I am not holding out hope for it shipping today! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, my in-depth review will be out sometime Tuesday. Probably a few hours later than the usual posting time, but no later than lunch eastern time.

Just putting the finishing touches on it.

It will include coverage of all the applications that support KICKR today...oh, and my homebrew iPad stand solution.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dockt wrote:
I'm expecting to receive one of the first 10 they send out (to consumers) -- yes, I'm a dork :). I am disappointed that despite all the talk about Trainerroad integration, there is no out-of-the-box power control of the KICKR via ANT+ from a PC. I would think that's still a majority of potential users. And as far as I know you can't use Trainerroad on an iPad/iPhone. To make sure I can at least do a workout and control power, I had to go out and get a 5th gen iPod touch (w/ BT smart), which only adds to the overall cost of this setup. The latest I heard is that the programming for ANT+ control is completed and they would have to test it out -- but "testing" may/not take weeks (that last part is my speculation).

Having said that, I have little doubt that this will be an awesome training tool.

I'm definitely waiting for ANT+ control before I buy one. That's a must have for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dockt wrote:

I put the question of ANT+ control to mike@wahoo on the other thread (link here), no answer yet.
Meanwhile, are you confident a 5th gen iPod Touch will work? I see no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't, but Wahoo don't show it on the Kickr's list of supported devices (link here), nor do they show the Kickr on the Touch's list of devices with which it will work (link here).

If ANT+ control isn't imminent then I think I'll pick up an iPad mini for the extra $70 and attach it to the trainer bike with an Arkon Heavy duty tablet clamp for $22 from (link here).
Edit: typo
Last edited by: BigBloke: Mar 4, 13 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Fwiw, my in-depth review will be out sometime Tuesday. Probably a few hours later than the usual posting time, but no later than lunch eastern time.

Just putting the finishing touches on it.

It will include coverage of all the applications that support KICKR today...oh, and my homebrew iPad stand solution.

Can't wait to read it!

Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I put the question of ANT+ control to mike@wahoo on the other thread (
link here), no answer yet.
Meanwhile, are you confident a 5th gen iPod Touch will work? I see no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't, but Wahoo don't show it on the Kickr's list of supported devices (link here), nor do they show the Kickr on the Touch's list of devices with which it will work (link here).

If ANT+ control isn't imminent then I think I'll pick up an iPad mini for the extra $70 and attach it to the trainer bike with an Arkon Heavy duty tablet clamp for $22 from (link here).
Edit: typo

Here's what he wrote on Ray's site re: ANT+ control: Wahoo Murray replied
February 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm #73
KT and Ray,
We should have the firmware done in the next week but it might take a couple weeks to test and get integrated into software.

re: ipod touch 5th gen controlling the trainer, the WF Blog mentions it here: http://www.wahoofitness.com/...got-an-iPhone-5.aspx

I guess we'll see, just got the email for payment and shipping (ground is $30, overnight is $150 btw).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just paid! Been waiting so long so did ground shipping instead of overnight, figured I could wait a couple more days. Praying no buyers remorse after reading DCs review tomorrow haha
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read the comprehensive review and ordered! Just in time for spring weather.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of the 10 as well and was stoked to get the email last night. Can't wait to get this thing!

I appreciate the links about the different types of stands. Been looking for something and these are excellent. Thanks to all who've posted.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [RazorTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got the shipped message. Never thought I'd be excited about riding on a trainer.

Should be fun trying the different apps. Hopefully this open source approach will catch on in the industry.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [RazorTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got the message as well, plan on signing up for trainer road as well since I cant use the app to control it since I am on an andriod smartphone. Trainer road on my mac connected to my TV will do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the killer app will be the Strava program. Right now it's just a standard watt control trainer until it comes out.

Oh the potential this thing has.....
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Fitness KICKR: Advice, Tips, Thoughts, Impressions, etc. [hcshao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hcshao wrote:
I think the killer app will be the Strava program. Right now it's just a standard watt control trainer until it comes out.

Oh the potential this thing has.....

I'm more excited about Kinomap. I hope someone submits a Kinomap recording of the IMLT course soon so I can spend the next six months training on that course from the comfort of my own bedroom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I was just outside the Magic Ten, but I got my email this morning and paid. Hopefully will see mine go out tomorrow. Will come just in time to do some erg mode 2x20s as I back off the road racing for a month or so.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply

Prev Next